Thinking about picking up a new detector

NYmetaldetector

Greenie
Feb 8, 2010
Putnam county, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I currently have a Ace 250 and I was looking around on craigslist and there is a Garrett GTAX 550 and a White's XLT for sale in my area. They are both asking $375. The Garrett says it has only been used once and it looks that way(from picture). Its in the box and all material is with it. The White's says in good working condition and from the pictures looks like it has been used. It also says the rechargeable battery wont hold a charge.

I am leaning toward the White's as seems like its a better detector but I would like people opinions on both machines. For the little research I did the Garrett looks like a glorified Ace 250 with more depth and the White's has VDI#(not 100% sure what that actually is)

I am new to the hobby and I have had the Ace 250 for 2 years but only used it a couple of times. Does anyone think I would have any problems using either of these machines and your opinion on which is better.

If they sell a rechargeable battery for the White's, does anyone have a price range?

Thanks

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know anything about that particular Garrett machine, I have a Garretts AT-Pro and a White's XLT.

The XLT is a good medium to high end machine. When new it cost around $800 MSRP.
Most of the time a used one will cost $400+, depending on condition.
The rechargable battery pack can be bought from White's for $50, the charger is around $25.
There is also a 8AA battery holder that came with it, if its missing or you want another, its $10.
You may could take the rechargable battery pack to Batteries Plus for new rechargables and it may be less, probably not though...

A lot of people have athe XLT and swear by them. There is a learning curve to all the controls.
You can put it in a regular program and learn how to detect and as you learn you can tweak the settings for improved performance.
I've had my XLT for 10 years and I'm still learning what it can do.

Check out the White's web site for videos and instruction manual downloads for the XLT. www.whiteselectronics.com

Check out the Garrett web site as well for a instruction manual download. www.garrett.com

If I were buying, I'd personally go with the XLT, it has a great reputation.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the 2 I would go with the xlt

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NYmetaldetector said:
I am new to the hobby and I have had the Ace 250 for 2 years but only used it a couple of times.

Why would you be looking for a new detector when you've only used the ace a couple times? I would use the ace to learn how to detect and then go for an upgrade. The ace 250 is actually a very good beginners machine. I have found a lot of good stuff with it.

-Swartzie

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Swartzie said:
NYmetaldetector said:
I am new to the hobby and I have had the Ace 250 for 2 years but only used it a couple of times.

Why would you be looking for a new detector when you've only used the ace a couple times? I would use the ace to learn how to detect and then go for an upgrade. The ace 250 is actually a very good beginners machine. I have found a lot of good stuff with it.

-Swartzie

Swartzie is right, the Ace 250 is the very best entry level machine out there, and they are making some amzing finds with that machine. Like Swartzie said, learn how to use the ACE, master it, and save your money for when a hot new piece of technology comes out, and youwill know what you are doing by then. I would give yourself another 3 to 6 months with that Ace, then go for another detector, like a Minelab E-trac, or something along those lines.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't bet my life on an ace 250... the XLT from White's is a different story...250 user are just dreamer in my metal detecting book....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread