Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
E-Trac 4 me

Picture of my first hunt when I got it 4 months ago.

I love my E-Trac. In 4 months I was able to cross off a few firsts from my list. I have never had better success. This thing loves tiny targets... especially silver. I have a handfull of shotgun pellets and 3-cent pieces to prove it.;D

My friend uses a V3, and I have witnessed first hand how well it performs.

Both are very nice machines, and I would be proud to own either, or both.

For now, E-Trac 4 me!

Attachments

• 0302001323.jpg
    0302001323.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 887

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Thinking about switching to a Minelab E-Trac.Any Comments about these Detect

greg23 said:
Most of the time I never use the screens.I just listen to the sounds.Canadian clad is a bit finnicky though.Beer caps and canadian quarters sound alike,so you have to learn the sound and to read the numbers that they both come in at.When I first started detecting,i used to get frustrated at the amount of beer caps i was finding.I practiced by putting both on the ground and constantly going over each one until I could tell the difference easily.Even now I still dig the odd beer cap,but a few is better than 30.

I think E-trac vs V3 in most cases would probably come down to who knows the detector better. If both users were equal, then I give the nod to the Minelab for it's great tone ID at depth. (I don't think anything out there is as good) It was incredible how much I was able to cut out all the rusty junk I was chasing with my GTI that sounded good. That said, Minelabs good iron disc. is a positive for me, but if you are interested in finding "Canadian clad" it will be a negative and probably going from a finicky sound, to in many cases being totally disc'ed or sounding really bad. That's how the explorer is so I just assume the E-trac would operate the same way.

The Explorer/E-trac are turn on and go units but it will take you some time to sort out the sounds, learn the little tricks, and maybe figure out the pinpointing if you have never used a DD coil.

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Hi: I started out on Whites and ran them for many years, excellent machines. The current game on for tech for machines is amazing, we are really getting to the depths needed to recover the Oldest coins,jewlery,nuggets etc due to the engineering on many brands. I have ran the V3 by Whites and it is a great machine but over and over again the E-trac seems to shine on depth,do not overlook the SE Pro either. Recovery of 1800's and earlier coins is common with both. It will come down to a personal preference for you and both Mfg.s are in a great tech. race. Whites is playing catch up but doing well. Try the E-trac you will be surprised. Hardrock

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
One of my hunting buddies has a new E-Trac. I have a new whites V3i. We were relic hunting in a cornfield last week and I was following him picking up mineballs he had passed over (12-13" inches). I also found a piece of a silver watch fob at about 14" that E-Trac passed up. It should be noted that I am using a custom program in my V3i not a factory provided program. I believe john was using the Relic mode provided with the E-Trac. As a great man once said, "I'd rather be lucky than good".

Keep Hunting :thumbsup:
KYBuzzBox

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Thinking about switching to a Minelab E-Trac.Any Comments about these Detect

KYBuzzBox said:
One of my hunting buddies has a new E-Trac. I have a new whites V3i. We were relic hunting in a cornfield last week and I was following him picking up mineballs he had passed over (12-13" inches). I also found a piece of a silver watch fob at about 14" that E-Trac passed up. It should be noted that I am using a custom program in my V3i not a factory provided program. I believe john was using the Relic mode provided with the E-Trac. As a great man once said, "I'd rather be lucky than good".

KYBuzzBox

Lucky can often be better than good!

....but a high-end Minelab can nail that miniball no problem plus some! I've hunted a field that literally had hundreds of enfields so got a real good sense of what an explorer could do on a CW period bullet. I can't see the E-trac being much different.

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
Ironpatch I am with you. Both John and I were trying to learn our new detectors. Since that hunt John made some custom adjustments to the E-Trac programming and that thing dead on. I believe that both detectors are first class...it just a matter of taste and familiarity. BTW John was able to find a bucket load of burnsides (some with cases) with his E-Trac during our last hunt. :hello2:

KYBuzzBox

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
UMM guys..it's not a detector war,you're all missing his point!

"Whites detectors are the only detectors I have ever used .in total I have had 7 Whites detectors.I want to try another brand,see how it compares to Whites detectors."

He just wants some info on the Etrac! (It's the best.It has to be because I use it!! :laughing7: )

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dano Sverige said:
UMM guys..it's not a detector war,you're all missing his point!

"Whites detectors are the only detectors I have ever used .in total I have had 7 Whites detectors.I want to try another brand,see how it compares to Whites detectors."

He just wants some info on the Etrac! (It's the best.It has to be because I use it!! :laughing7: )

You must be quite a timid person if you think this is a war. :wink:

You don't think camparing detectors by people who have used both (or hunted along side) doesn't offer anything for what to expect from an E-trac? I don't think we're missing the point at all! :)

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Of course i'm timid..I'm British! :wink:

Maybe you're right.I just scanned through and saw what seemed to be many people trying to convince him to stay with Whites when he said he wanted to try another brand.
Carry on. :read2:

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

4-H said:
"I am Currently using a Whites DFX."

The only comment I can tell you is, as a dealer for Minelab,
I get a lot of people that HAD currently used the dfx that switched to the Etrac .......They are realizing that the other machines are inferior.

I have a lot of respect for White's Manufacturing but, the Etrac is on top it seems now.

"inferior" --- ouch! LOL :laughing9:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
MT Pockets said:
My First Machine was a "Whites" XLT....

I had it for a few years... and then Upgraded to a Minelab Explorer SE....

What a Difference for me.........

It was Night and Day..........

Whites is an Awesome Company....... They Stand By.. Not Next to their machines....

But,

When I had the Explorer in my Hands... I knew.. That.... I had a Professional piece of equipment in my hands...
and For me... It was easier to learn the Explorer than the XLT...

and Now I'm Hooked on "Minelab"

I just hope that they get their stuff together soon.....

I'll tell you this....

After having a XLT.. and an Explorer SE......

The main thin that I don't like about either one of them is.....

The Screen.,......

I'd Rather have a Minelab Sov GT....

Why bother wasting your time Trying to look at a Digital display.. in the Heat of the day..

with the sun beating down on me....

What am I going to gain by Looking at a Digital display......

I'd Rather Hear the tones and move on... rather than trying to read a display during the day....

Just my Opinion.... :sign13: :icon_sunny:
MT pockets is right on after useing a Minelab the rest are like toys . And i also don't use detectors with a screen something you don't need.

Attachments

• haul_1.jpg
    haul_1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 613

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy said:
MT Pockets said:

Whites is an Awesome Company....... They Stand By.. Not Next to their machines....

But,

When I had the Explorer in my Hands... I knew.. That.... I had a Professional piece of equipment in my hands...

I'll tell you this....

The Screen.,......

Why bother wasting your time Trying to look at a Digital display.. in the Heat of the day..

I'd Rather Hear the tones and move on... rather than trying to read a display during the day....

And i also don't use detectors with a screen something you don't need.

That would only make sense if all detectors were equal and it actually somewhat contradicts your point of view that Minelab, or any brand is better than another. In other words, you are ignoring the fact that different units have different electronics, operate different, and you don't have to look at the screen. I use an explorer but certainly don't use it because it has a screen... and if it didn't it sure as heck wouldn't be a Sovereign, Tejon, or any other nonmetered unit. It's my opinion the best detectors with the best electronics just happen to also have a screen, and I'm sure many (probably most) others would agree.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW some really hardcore excuses going on here.

DFX inferior to the E-Trac? Ya think? It's not like the DFX should be every bit as good as the E-Trac :rolleyes:

And you mean to tell me the XLT isn't as good as the SE? What rocket science.

Screens? Why would anyone want a screen? Perhaps some prefer to know what they're digging holes in the ground for? Just because you find you don't know how to properly use a display, doesn't mean we're all so incapable.

I've owned White's and the comparable Minelabs. Yes key word being comparable. The DFX is every bit the detector the SE is in capable hands, and the V3 is every bit the detector the E-Trac is in capable hands.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch said:
Keppy said:
MT Pockets said:

But,

I'll tell you this....

The Screen.,......

That would only make sense if all detectors were equal and it actually somewhat contradicts your point of view that Minelab, or any brand is better than another. In other words, you are ignoring the fact that different units have different electronics, operate different, and you don't have to look at the screen. I use an explorer but certainly don't use it because it has a screen... and if it didn't it sure as heck wouldn't be a Sovereign, Tejon, or any other nonmetered unit. It's my opinion the best detectors with the best electronics just happen to also have a screen, and I'm sure many (probably most) others would agree.
I don't agree with you patch.......... :angry4: :cussing:

Attachments

72 KB · Views: 593
    72 KB · Views: 587

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy said:
Iron Patch said:
Keppy said:
MT Pockets said:

But,

I'll tell you this....

The Screen.,......

I don't agree with you patch.......... :angry4: :cussing:

That's ok, you don't have to! :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger said:
WOW some really hardcore excuses going on here.

DFX inferior to the E-Trac? Ya think? It's not like the DFX should be every bit as good as the E-Trac :rolleyes:

And you mean to tell me the XLT isn't as good as the SE? What rocket science.

Screens? Why would anyone want a screen? Perhaps some prefer to know what they're digging holes in the ground for? Just because you find you don't know how to properly use a display, doesn't mean we're all so incapable.

I've owned White's and the comparable Minelabs. Yes key word being comparable. The DFX is every bit the detector the SE is in capable hands, and the V3 is every bit the detector the E-Trac is in capable hands.
**** Well i think the Sovereign is comparable to the DFX & the E-Trac in capable hands..****

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 596
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 696
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 594
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 694

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant speak for the ones I havent used, but of the ones I have used Garrett 2500, XLT, and Explorer II, the Explorer is far better then the other 2. I would like to see an etrac and sovereign in action just to get a comparisson. But I think the Explorer suits me fine. :icon_thumleft:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
**** Well i think the Sovereign is comparable to the DFX & the E-Trac in capable hands..****

DFX but not the E-Trac.

I've owned a Sovereign GT and while it was a great relic detector I didn't like it as a coin shooter. It definitely wasn't much of a tot lot machine. I think the Sovereign is probably one of the best relic machines, but I'd prefer a DFX, to it and the E-Trac is in a completely different class. No comparison at all.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Judging by the testimonials here, it looks like the Explorer is the crowd favorite.
Both Manufactures make quality products and like IP mentioned it comes down to confidence and who is most comfortable with their own stick. ;D

I'm curious to see what White's USA has in store for the future to top the popular Minelab Explorer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread