Thinking about the logiatics of a stamp mill

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
While chipping rock in an old lode mine recently I was noting the amount of rock that shoots off in all directions when you hit the rock with the pick, chisel or hammer. That got me to thinking how did they handle that issue with the old fashioned stamp mills? I would think standing next to a stamp mill that was running could be way bad for your health, then I have to wonder how did they handle the rocks that split in two and still needed stamping more. Did they simply run it back through over and over again? Did they manually go in and pick it up and re feed it through? That would be a ton of work, and slow down the process a lot. I have never seen multiple stamp mills linked in series so how did they handle all that stuff?

The other issue I think about all the time is there must not have been poison oak like we have now. It must have not been as prevalent as I see it now. Otherwise they would have all been suffering to start with until they got it all cleared out. Never hear of stories about them dealing with the stuff. As it is now, during certain times of the year, you cannot even step off the road without running into it. I cannot imagine those guys climbing up each gully and wash in search of the mother lode if they had the stuff as bad as we have it now.:icon_scratch:???

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great questions to ponder.
Repost in the Prospecting forum for a wider response.
GL
Peace ✌

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the stamp mill head often would have a piece of leather(flap)to catch flying rock.the water flow volume was closely monitored,the small volume could only remove the smallest of particulate so it was self classifying the material as it passed onto the amalgum trough.

the poison ivy/oak question is a good one...I guess they were tougher than us.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread