thinking about upgrading to a safari

freddy78

Feb 25, 2013
Shelbyille TN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using the AT PRO for about a year now and was thinking about upgrading to a Safari and was wondering if it was as good at relic hunting as it is at coins. Would love to get the Etrac but it's just a little outside of my price range and I have heard a lot of good things about the Minelabs and was looking for a little input on this machine. Is it worth it and does it go as deep as they say it does?'

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hunt much relics just coins and jewelry. I absolutely love my safari, its amazing how much my finds went up when I got mine. cant go wrong with any minelab. Got mine from tom miller at Miller MDZ, he's got amazing prices better than anyone.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Safari is as deep as the Etrac, it just doesn't give you as much target ID and is not backlit. I have the Safari and the AT Pro, they both are good machines. Safari is a lot heavier than the ATP, and the learning curve is sharper, but it can go where the ATP can't (wet salt sand and highly mineralized soil). ATP goes in those places but not with much efficiency but I hate to use the Safari in the rain. A lot more coils are available for the Safari too, making it more useful in more situations. I believe the multiple frequency machines rule in general, I say go for it!! Of course there are used Etracs and SE Pros out there too, often for the same price as a new Safari.

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should be getting my safari tomorrow, along with 15" wot coiltec and 10x12" sef butterfly coil. So excited!
I'll let you know how my huntin goes.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:icon_thumleft::santasmile: Awesome! I just ordered my Safari today too and I am really excited as well. The package I got included a Leshe Digger, Detector Pro Pistol Probe Pinpointer, Grey Ghost Headphones, ML carry/storage bag, etc. Went out with my brother and nephew to an old early 1800's homesite the other day and felt a little under gunned with my old machine. LOL. A good coin shooting detector but had a rough time in the older trashy areas where the relics were mixed in. I think the Minelab is gonna help me recover much more without as many headaches and deeper. My brother just got the Fisher F75 Special Edition and I'll be running the ML Safari while my nephew will be running his dependable White's XLT. Can't wait till the next hunt. :tongue3:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Congratulations guys on the safari. I love the fbs technology. I think you will be just fine in terms of relic hunting with it. I have incidental relic finds while hunting for coins. If it isn't discriminated out, these machines will hit hard on any metal. At least that is my experience 4 months into using the etrac. Just go slow and give the detector time to process all the data it is receiving. Good luck and HH.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should be getting my safari tomorrow, along with 15" wot coiltec and 10x12" sef butterfly coil. So excited!
I'll let you know how my huntin goes.

Smooth, the WOT is great for open field hunting, but I use a Stealth 8" coil on my Safari for parks, schools, etc. Much better target separation in more trashy areas. I hope you got extra shafts to go with the coils, they are a pain to change without already being mounted on their own shafts. Good luck and have fun with your new gear!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should be getting my safari tomorrow, along with 15" wot coiltec and 10x12" sef butterfly coil. So excited! I'll let you know how my huntin goes.
Get a harness to go along with it. The wot is a beast on weight. I like the Sunray X8 coil on my Etrac most of the time if hunting in parks and semi trashy areas. It has a perfect balance and feel to it.

Last edited:

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your guys input. I will definitely purchase a smaller coil and harness if necessary.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I love my Safari! It goes deep and is GREAT in wet sand. It's very simple to operate and the automatic ground balance puts it over the top. It has allowed me to spend more time detecting and less time playing with knobs and buttons. If its in the ground, the Safari will find it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread