Thinking bout going back to beep and dig....

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, I've been seriously considering going back to a beep and dig machine. I used the Tesoro Cibola for one detecting season and found more rings and tokens than I have with all my other detectors combined due to digging more targets than a tid machine. The main issue I had with the Cibola was it's depth was average at best. I've been looking at the Tesoro Vaquero and the Fisher 1270. One thing I don't understand about the 1270 is that people constantly say it's a relic machine more than a coin machine....it's 8.2 KHz...isn't that an almost perfect coin frequency? I strictly hunt coins. Any opinions? Thanks -Jay

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for responding, unfortunately the link wouldn't work for me.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always just dig it all above the disc. level even if you have a VDI machine and just use the VDI when needed like cherry picking a spot that your time is limited. I dig alot of targets by sound only especially when there deep as you can't trust the VDI beyond 8" anyway. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
You could always just dig it all above the disc. level even if you have a VDI machine and just use the VDI when needed like cherry picking a spot that your time is limited. I dig alot of targets by sound only especially when there deep as you can't trust the VDI beyond 8" anyway. HH

Very true, however I try to do that now sometimes and still spoil myself with the tid and dig only "good" signals which is a terrible habit.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay ground balancing is easy. Put it in all metal and raise an lower the coil while keeping it level over clean ground with no targets. Turn the GB knob back and forth till the threshold it as steady as you can get it and your ground balanced. Then switch it into disc if you want. I have no trouble with silver and you can adjust the freq if other detectors are near or it seems unstable.

HH,
Dennis

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I know how to ground balance them, I've just heard the Tejon for some reason takes longer to get a good GB. I was thinking that the Fisher 1270 with a 5 inch coil would be really good sniffing out silver. I've always liked Fishers, I like the Los Banos designs the best. Most comfortable to swing for me. I still have some time to decide, I appreciate the thoughts and responses guys.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
were that 5900 di pro that should do the trick for you, that's all you need.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using the 1266X since 1994 and thought I'd give the 1270X a try and bought one about 8 years ago. I used it for a bit at relic hunting sites and paid it off only after a few hunts. That had to do with where I was hunting and I would have found the same with the '66. I only use it for relic hunting.
I did not like it at all when coin hunting. The disc. is not as good and seemed to get fooled on bottle caps and other wretched trash.
Even in relic hunting, I found the whole iron disc. useless and never used the silencer. Having a dual discriminator on the 1266X, I can get just as much information by setting disc.1 close to all metal and disc.2 to just cancel out iron and accept all non-ferrous. You can do the same with the 1270 when it comes to iron but can't when you want to switch between two non-ferrous settings.
Like allowing all non-ferrous on disc.1 and setting disc.2 to cancel out foil and pull tabs. That's why I don't like it coin hunting in trashy parks.
Someone said that the dual disc. is just a gimmick but that comes from lack of understanding. I could not live without a dual discriminator and know the advantages it offers.
The 1270 responded better to lead and tiny non-ferrous but nothing my other machine couldn't find.
I have trouble understanding deep signals as it beeps the same for a surface find and something down deeper. That's a problem when it gives a good loud signal for a .22 casing and I get fooled. I already know what those signals are like on the '66 and there's a huge difference between a .22 and something larger.
It's still a great machine (better than most) but will never compare to the 1266X and that's why it sits in my closet.
I will pull it out once in awhile and retry an area that I worked to death with the lower frequency detector and manage to find a few non-ferrous items.Typically small lead that I missed before.
Beep and dig is the only way to roll in my books! :icon_thumright:
Cheers,
Dave.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're looking for "Max Depth and Quantity of finds" then a beep & dig is the way to go :-)

Of coarse - you have to get one that matches with your soil conditions - you don't want something that works well in mod soils but not good in high FE/iron soils IF you're in an area where the soil is bad

best to get a couple different machines just to be safe & have options!

I sold off all of my high dollar screen/readout machines (DFX, MXT Pro, GTI 2500, etc.) kept the cz20/21 which is beep & dig basically (no screen) added the Tejon (beep & dig) and an AT Pro just because I like the machine but don't use the screen much (10/15% maybe) and I'm adding another machine from overseas that just hit the market which is also a beep & dig but that I won't mention here due to the politics involved with sponsors here.

Good luck to you in your decision/quest :-)

HH

wilhitr

Jan 6, 2013
Benton
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT 705 & Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all, I've been seriously considering going back to a beep and dig machine. I used the Tesoro Cibola for one detecting season and found more rings and tokens than I have with all my other detectors combined due to digging more targets than a tid machine. The main issue I had with the Cibola was it's depth was average at best. I've been looking at the Tesoro Vaquero and the Fisher 1270. One thing I don't understand about the 1270 is that people constantly say it's a relic machine more than a coin machine....it's 8.2 KHz...isn't that an almost perfect coin frequency? I strictly hunt coins. Any opinions? Thanks -Jay

In the right soil conditions the Tejon is hard to beat... I love mine!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you you don't hunt in all metal you are losing a lot of banner finds
just as a v.d.i detector
"that's video indicator" is wrong at great dept
so does a "beep and dig" detector, once you discriminate out any thing
anything deep is going to show up at less value, so now your
"beep and dig"detector is going to "reject it" making a "beep and dig" detector walk right on by with out a peep
at lest with a with a detector with a v.d.I and a threshold if it gets discriminate out
the threshold will still break and your vdi should still lock on
and then you check your dept and it says foil 11" deep...Hello, you better dig....that's my take on the subject
I love hunting with both types .....look at it this way v.d.i and a threshold
gives you a second chance at that banner find...

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my buddy with a cibola kicked my butt today. found a 1819 large cent down deep mine wouldn't even detect, but thats 350 bucks compared to my 100 buck machine. but i did find a slave hoe

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin striking michigan

well did you ever get a beep and dig yet
do you own all the detector listed
our is that your wish list
in your picture it looks as if they don't make a detector that you could not swing all day
any frequency at or below 6.598210 is excellent for silver coins
why would you want a tesoro that's an old mans detector
some on who is week and can't dig a deep hole
any detector with a fine an course ground balance like a 5900 Di Pro or a T.D.I pulse scan Pro
is what you are after

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread