thinking of a CTX 3030?

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been several years since I seriously metal detected. Last year, I did try a PI machine and just hated it...

I have experience with Sovereigns and Excalibur, but I'm blown away by the features of the CTX 3030.

For health reasons I need the exercise. Also need a hobby. I'm looking to get back into metal detecting.

Based on past experience, likely 80% of my use would be on the beach and surf zone. Maybe 15% submerged in wait/chest deep water. Throw in 5% for park and relic hunting.

My concerns are the problems related to leaking. Is there a way to wrap more protection around the seal?

Are the stock headphones usable or should I consider an upgrade? Which model?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I spent three hours with the CTX 3030 this afternoon.

I'm happily and positively impressed by the ease and simplicity when it came time navigate thru the menus. At the end of the session it was old hat to change settings, save points of interest.

My used unit did not come with headphones or the arm rest bracket (forgotten by the seller but on the way), so hopefully Monday/Tuesday, I can give a full report with more detailed impressions. Also, once the armrest is installed it will give far better balance and control.

Target acquisition was spot on. Depth was pretty much spot on as well. At the end, I was nailing the object with the first or second scoop. I pulled a few quarters and dimes at 8 inches and a penny at 11 inches.

Despite repeated forays into the menu and settings, battery life wasn't an issue. It will likely outlast me in a given day.

It will take time to learn the meter and what the machine is telling me.

Negatives... I can feel the weight but it was essentially unbalanced all day so for now it is not a fair statement. The construction leaves something to be desired. My old Excalibur would be considered bullet proof compared to this unit. I expected it to be a bit more robust.

I met a beach veteran today who ribbed me about my expensive unit as his weathered Excal hung along his waist. He mentioned a few locals have had issues with the CTX as well. He was helpful and advised using a condom on the battery compartment while in the surf... which makes perfect sense. I'm all for protection :)

Not conducting a field trial stress test, just looking for ways to extend the life of the unit. Will report back on my findings.

Going forward and looking at the tide chart, I expect a busy weekend pulling some morning and evening sessions. Will definatly be in the surf giving her a workout.

Speaking of workout... I'm out of shape. Two hours would have been enough. Sore, tired, but excited about this machine. Probably a lighter weight scoop will help in that department.

I had gone back and forth between this unit (used and priced right) vs an Excalibur. Seeing the veteran with the Excal made me yearn for just a stick, but I had always found mounting elsewhere on the body just a PITA.

I have no regrets at this point. It is exactly what I wanted in a beach/surf machine. It's compact and all controls are easily accessible.

No gold, but $1.07 richer...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread