Thinking of getting a deus ,,Pros ,,cons please !

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
Hi folks I have three tesoros a bandio 2 umax and a outlaw and a tiger shark love all three of them , and no I will not sell them ,,The problem is I heard that Deus was a great detector deeper than the outlaw , plus I heard that you can upgrade thru the computer every time a update comes out plus I also heard that you can adjust it where you can hear it better , So tell me one good reason I should not entertain the thought about getting a deus ,,,,pros ,cons hit me from the waist up :0 :hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Cibola. Had a couple others, but still can't find out how to swing more than one at a time. The Cibola has been a go-to machine. The Vaquero I had had the big coil on it and went pretty deep. I also bought a Deus last November. It does work differently than the Tesoros. On a sand beach, including salt water, I have found both the Cibola, my current machine and the Deus do very, very well. Upswing on the Deus is in the discrimination. I do not have to dig foil trash if I don't want to nor do I have to dig medium iron. I dig everything else. In an open field, without a nail pit, either machine will do the job. Deus probably goes a little deeper. Where the Deus shines is in a nail breeding ground where you need to pull out a button or minie ball or something out between a lot of nails. The Deus will do that while the Cibola struggles. I don't have to dig near as many nails with the Deus. Yes, you can upgrade it over the internet and the very nice thing is it is so lightweight, you can swing the Deus all day. That makes a big difference for me. My go to machine today is the Deus.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get a Vaquero or Tejon, sure the Deus is deeper than what you have, the Outlaw sucks, I have one

but it sounds like you're a moth flying into the flame, you want something to play with, not find treasure

how's that?

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tell me one good reason I should not entertain the thought about getting a deus ,,,,pros ,cons hit me from the waist up :0 :hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2:

The Minelab Equinox :dontknow:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I have used a golden u max for 9 years and love it. Read a lot about the vaquero and bought one on eBay unintentionally. It was in new condition and final bid was low. A few minuets before the auction closed I raised it 5 dollars just to see. I wound up winning. Used it a few times and resold it for a small profit. I find single tone machines booring. The thing to look at is the minilab equinox that is due to come out in the spring.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not even think of a deus until the equinox is out and has had some serious reviews done on it. Also, if you like Tesoro, want more depth and better performance in iron get a Tejon. Small concentric coil is great in iron trash and larger coils will go deep.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not even think of a deus until the equinox is out and has had some serious reviews done on it. Also, if you like Tesoro, want more depth and better performance in iron get a Tejon. Small concentric coil is great in iron trash and larger coils will go deep.
Yes i go along with ..DiggerinVA ..& botlebum ..I would wait for the Minelab Equinox..

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of pros for the Deus. It is a GREAT machine, one of the best in heavy iron and extremely light and easy to swing for hours. But for me, the cons are: A detector of its price range should be waterproof to atleast 10 feet deep! I personally do not like the menu and layout of it compared to teknetics, minelab, makro, etc. Again for the price it should be able to run in multi frequency mode as the new Minelab does. This is a requirement for anyone wanting to hunt the beach. I feel the Deus is a machine that is capable of making some awesome finds and can surely find things other machines have missed....BUT it is one those machines that the set up is key! IT can greatly decrease performance if you chose the wrong settings at the wrong location. I much prefer the simple, yet effective machines(like the Tesoro's). And last, another personal opinion, I do not like the "cord free" coil set up....just put it inside the shaft! All this does is add another battery to have to charge and make the price of after market coils twice as much. I was relieved to see a wired coil on the new Equinox. I will probably get some grief about my post here, but the OP asked for opinions and this is mine...

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As mentioned I have a deus Etrac and silver u max. IMHO the deus is the best detector on earth in Iron! My Etrac Shuts down even in TTF mode (two tone Ferrus)

The deus is light and powerful. I swing it a lot. Yes it’s expensive but when I go to an old home site like I got permission for last week??? Deus is in tow. It’s so fast you can hear all the iron “grunts” than the high tone... dig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my comment... maybe you should ask this question on the Deus forum, instead of trolling the Tesoro forum with a Deus question... duh!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus has proven itself over and over.....although I stated that you should hold off and check out the Equinox; I will say that buying any new machine to quickly is a gamble. So you may be waiting a while on the minelab. The AT Max I feel is an exception to the rule as it is so similar to the previous AT units with added features and a little better performance that an experienced AT pro or Gold user will know if he will be happy with it. I have been very successful with my Garrett machines and Tesoros. My plans are to buy the Max in the near future, sale my ATpro to gain back some of the expense then set and wait on the new minelab. And my total expense will be right around the price of a loaded Deus for the two detectors. If you have no plans of water hunting and don't live near the beach, go with the Deus. I think you will really like it once you learn it. By the way, I had to stick my love for Tesoro's in there since this is the Tesoro forum.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my comment... maybe you should ask this question on the Deus forum, instead of trolling the Tesoro forum with a Deus question... duh!
If he asked this question in the Deus forum all he would get is answers like buy a Deus,buy a Deus..And he was also talking about Tesoro ..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He isn't trolling, he owns multible Tesoros and asking for opinions from members he trusts, he hasn't said a single bad word about Tesoro in his post.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makro Racer or Racer 2. These two just flat out work. Deep and accurate.

If you really like Tesoros, consider a Deleon. This machine is so under rated, hardly ever talked about. It has the best of Tesoro with tone ID, and VID to further help you decide to dig.
It loves jewerly and coins.
Cons: not very good in eet salty sand. And that's the only con.

Imgo.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted today with the silver u max and it was a blast!

Every detector performs in better situations than others. Also depends where you live and where you hunt.

Water hunter only? At series or water detector.

If you live in Kansas where coins can reach 12 inches plus? Minelab Etrac or 30/30.

England? Where nails number the blades of grass? Deus wins hands down.

I have 3 that so far for my needs for my hunting style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
He isn't trolling, he owns multible Tesoros and asking for opinions from members he trusts, he hasn't said a single bad word about Tesoro in his post.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

My apologies to all.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My last new detector I will likely own maybe a Minelab Equinox, then Im done. And maybe another new Tesoro release whenever that happens of course. :laughing7:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh last time I owned an Chev Equinox I traded that in for a Dodge Ram what that has to do with metal detecting I don't know may reason why I am still holding onto my old Chev 92 Regular Cab 4x4 step side still have her and will never get rid of her.. just like Tesoro! Maybe this is where I am going with this. Again I never owned a Minelab so you will never know.8-)

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks I have three tesoros a bandio 2 umax and a outlaw and a tiger shark love all three of them , and no I will not sell them ,,The problem is I heard that Deus was a great detector deeper than the outlaw , plus I heard that you can upgrade thru the computer every time a update comes out plus I also heard that you can adjust it where you can hear it better , So tell me one good reason I should not entertain the thought about getting a deus ,,,,pros ,cons hit me from the waist up :0 :hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2:

Because it will take lots and lots of zincolns to pay for that gadget. Sure it may be good, but so are tesoros. The tesoro to get is the vaquero. Only a little more expensive (instead of much more expensive), almost as deep as the tejon, but as stable and calm as most tesoros. And you can pay for the vaquero with just a few jewelry finds. The deus, not so much.

If you want a gadget, maybe the deleon, people say great things about it, and you still get the tesoro analog that is so effective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reed88

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
i’m still here reading reply’s ! so far i’m staying with tesoro’s i haven’t heard anything different about the deus that the tesoro’s will not match !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread