Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it doesn't take much to make me happy. Yesterday's hunt is what I'm talking about. I took the DEUS to an old park that has given up some nice silver coins in the past. I'm still learning about the DEUS and it's different capabilities. It has 4 different frequencies that you can run it in. (If you want to install your own program.) It also comes with 10 different programs that run on different frequencies. It is important for me to remember which frequency I'm running on. If I change the frequency, I change the I.D. numbers of the target.
(Same Target, Different Frequency, Different I.D. Number)
My second target of the hunt, gave me a deep 84 as well as a 92. Separately, this would be an Indian Head Penny, and/or a silver dime. There was also a 98. That number indicates iron. I was able to isolate the 92 target which led me to believe that I had multiple targets. Only one way to find out. Out of the 8 to 10 inch hole comes 3 pennies. An 1899 Indian Head, and 2 Wheat Pennies, (13 & 17). I rechecked the hole with my Garrett Carrot and then my pile of dirt. Sure enough, out of the pile came a 1911 Barber Dime. Also in the pile was an old rusted pocket knife. That explains the "98" signal. I stayed on that hill for at least another hour. I did manage to pull a crusty, no date Buffalo Nickel that has a nice gash in it and a crusty button that is soaking in oil. Other than that, it was time to move on.

IMG_4324.JPG IMG_4320.JPG

IMG_4319.JPG IMG_4318.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG IMG_4321.JPG

Never knew that it would only take 13 cents to give me a smile from ear to ear.

Last edited:
Upvote 29

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep lots of concrete,
Our Metal Detecting Permit gives us access to 162 parks and 13 beaches.
The Bronx has the largest park. They say it contains 2,771 acres. In Queens County there is the Kissena Corridor which brings together 2,816 acres of parkland. The park I hunted yesterday has 585 acres.
I only mentioned 6 parks. There are 156 more. Plus I have permits to hunt in all 62 Counties in New York State.
Yep, lots of concrete. lol

Forgive a country boy for his inadequate knowledge of NYC.
My experiences are the reverse of yours. In my entire county (the largest in PA), you would find villages/boroughs/towns/cities the size of your parks........all the rest is woodlands/farms........
From the center of my "city" of 35,000, I can drive 10 to 15 minutes in any direction and be in the woodlands.
Your NY State permit gives you access to the kinds of areas that would be more "home" to me........no offense was intended by my first post...........

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive a country boy for his inadequate knowledge of NYC.
My experiences are the reverse of yours. In my entire county (the largest in PA), you would find villages/boroughs/towns/cities the size of your parks........all the rest is woodlands/farms........
From the center of my "city" of 35,000, I can drive 10 to 15 minutes in any direction and be in the woodlands.
Your NY State permit gives you access to the kinds of areas that would be more "home" to me........no offense was intended by my first post...........

No offense taken,,
I have done a lot of research over the years and always investigate permit requirements prior to venturing out to hunt. I'm not sure of how many states I've hunted in over the years. I love going across country on my motorcycle. Once you get west of New Jersey, the whole world changes. lol

I did spend a few days up in the Austin / Costello area of NW PA. The Austin Dam Disaster of 1911 is something you might want to read about.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done ATW.

I am envious of how you can dig one hole and get more than one coin. Very well played sir.

Any time that the Barber shows up, it's a good day.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky 13 !!!! Way to go Kevin!! I really like that Barber and the Indian, you should be proud! Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread