This boards been a little dead... anybody find anything good lately?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's winter up north. That's something i'm "lucky" enough to not have to deal with down here. Although I will say, I miss the change of seasons, even if I don't necessarily miss the snow and freezing temps. This being said, the sales have been a little slow down here too. They're still having them , there just haven't been too many decent enough finds to post about. I did manage a few good scores today, finally. Nothing major, but I figured i'd post just to keep this board alive, so to speak. Managed to hit about 18 sales today, before i'd have enough and called it quits. Notable finds were 3 silver dollars, 2 Morgans and a Peace dollar. Paid just under melt at $20 a piece, talked him down from $25. At the same sale I purchased a nice minty red bone trapper Case XX from 2000 for $15 managed to get $5 off of it too, he wanted $20. He had alot of sterling jewelry but it was too high for my taste and the one ring he had pictured was already gone. Went to an "estate sale" waited 20 minutes for them to open the doors, found out it was being run by a local auctioneer, so prices were set accordingly. I basically walked in and out with no purchase. Hit a garage sale on the way back to my neighborhood and found a nice dickies 3XL hooded and lined jacket for $2, just my size. Bought a few other odds and ends at other sales, not really worth mentioning. Then at the last sale of the day, I found 2 bar stools that I found a little interesting. I'd seen similar ones but they were never marked like these were. These were the real deal. They are marked Magis Bombo Design Stefano Giovannoni Made in Italy and are both in excellent condition.The guy I bought them from told me they were very expensive but he just needed to get rid of them because he needed the space. I got them both for $20. Here is a website that shows them-

http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/magis-from-hermanmiller/Bombo-Stool/pid_2164

Here is a photo of the 2 I found-

100_5463.jpg

I think they are ugly because of the colors, i'd rather have black or gray. The wife of course loves them and doesn't want to sell them I told her if I can get $500 for the pair, she's outta gas. We'll see who wins this one.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have slowed down my posting "everything" I find but I am still out there. Sales around here are dead due to cold weather but that doesn't stop me from picking. I am mostly just answering ads and getting leads through word of mouth. I got lucky last weekend at the flea market on a randomly and unseasonably warm day. Scored a pile of records by The Clash and all UK pressings too. Unfortunately for my wallet, I am a big Clash fan so I decided to keep all but 5 of the records. I should make money on just the 5 I am selling anyway.
Went to a "clean out" sale today in one of the richest parts of NJ. No heat in the house, frozen pipes, and roof caving in! Scored some jewelery that turned up 5 grams of 14k and 2 grams of 10k. Also grabbed scrap copper and 3 computers to scrap. My wild card ebay item is a vintage industrial hanging worklight. I have seen these sell for over $100 on ebay so I am hopeful that mine will as well. Only paid $20 for everything!
Keep it up everyone!

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I found a 3' outdoor thermometer (in a 4" dia plastic tube), blue alcohol (?) instead of red for $3.50. I mounted it outside the kitchen window and am able to see the temp from the dining room....20' away.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There hasn't been a good estate sale down here for months, not even a halfway decent one. It's all company run and/or they've been watching too many reality tv shows and think every vintage thing they have is a priceless treasure.

jerseyben- your "vintage industrial hanging worklight" reminded me that I have a mid century Art Specialty Co. clamp-on floating light that I gotta list. I paid a couple dollars for it, may sell for between $30-$50 if i'm lucky.

Goose-0- don't think i've seen a thermometer like that before. It's always good when you don't have to freeze to see how cold it actually is! :thumbsup:

I'm off to a few sales right now. I'll check in later.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The temp was a high of 25 degrees yesterday, and we have snow on the ground.

There haven't been any sales here at all. The picking has been a little slow.

Nice score on the chairs, Dig!!!!

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Dead for sure! ;) 5 degrees, isn't helping the GS listings.
Hit two sales this weekend, both dealer run w/Ebay prices listed and offering at 10% discount to Ebay Prices. Obviously not "Sold" prices. What a joke. I so wanted to say something, but bit my tongue and moved on. I can generally read through the BS listings and find the dealers, but sometimes I miss them. Managed enough GW items on the way home to cover gas for a week.

Off to St Croix for a break from the cold! :)

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Weather here in Houston has been good so we are still having some sales. Not much of interest, though. Did score some NASA memorabelia. Also found a wonderful foot long metal Harley Davidson model. Thought it might be prison art, but forgot Cyberdan's first warning - Look for the "Made in China" sticker! Still didn't pay much.

Agree with Diggummup on Estate Sales. Professionally run = no profit for me. Their strategy, damn them, is to penalize you if you arrive on the first day. Then, they look for the highest listed price of an item that is selling on ebay, and double it. I did burn them on one item - Beatle's White Album, Apple, low serial number, with all of the inserts - $3.00.

I also hit an antique store for a Polaroid S-X70 with case, instructions and flash cubes for $18.00, and a Polaroid 680 in box for $15.00. Pure gold on those two models.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldSowBreath said:
Weather here in Houston has been good so we are still having some sales. Not much of interest, though. Did score some NASA memorabelia. Also found a wonderful foot long metal Harley Davidson model. Thought it might be prison art, but forgot Cyberdan's first warning - Look for the "Made in China" sticker! Still didn't pay much.

Agree with Diggummup on Estate Sales. Professionally run = no profit for me. Their strategy, damn them, is to penalize you if you arrive on the first day. Then, they look for the highest listed price of an item that is selling on ebay, and double it. I did burn them on one item - Beatle's White Album, Apple, low serial number, with all of the inserts - $3.00.

I also hit an antique store for a Polaroid S-X70 with case, instructions and flash cubes for $18.00, and a Polaroid 680 in box for $15.00. Pure gold on those two models.
Nice scores on the cameras and the album. NASA stuff is always good too. What'd ya get? Here is a photo of the last good NASA piece I found-

100_3416.jpg

It sold for $156 something if I remember correctly. Paid $5 for it, I remember that.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
Found something unusual at a Volunteers of America Thrift store. Stuck with all the wooden nick nacks was a signed Nolan Ryan baseball in a plastic cube. Price - 90 cents. Took it out of the cube, signature looks the same as signature examples off of eBay and the net, and you can tell it was not autosigned. Gotta love it when you find little things like that. Not worth a huge amount but will cover some of my rising gasoline expenses!

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Dig - I wound up with an original John Glenn album of first flight transmissions and call from Pres. Kennedy (blue cover if you want to see one on ebay) that isn't going to go for as much as I thought it would. Also two space shuttle patches one with Cabana and Sturckow, and one with Barry, Horowitz and Sturckow, and unreadable Russian names. Also 4 out of 5 of 1974 Peterson's book of space program (Just my luck, the one with Apollo 11 missing). Also got several coffee cups of various shuttle missions, and new in box GI Joe Mercury astronaut and new in box GI Joe Buzz Aldrin in moon suit. International Space Station polo shirt (small - rats). Wall plaque commemorating the 70's Soyuz - American space venture (this I was told came from Eug*ne C*rnan, but who knows?) (Doesn't have his name on it but it hung on someone's wall.). I didn't pay a whole lot for this stuff but most of it now is not going to sell for a whole lot so I'll probably sit on it. Plus, I've always liked the space program (in Houston, you know).

Anything Nasa in lucite like your's above is worth big bux. Also, things connected to Apollo program and Neil Armstrong in particular. If you ever also see a manufacturer's model of a rocket or space capsule, etc - pure gold.

Ursus - I had a signed Nolan Ryan ball from years ago that I paid too much for. Later, pre-ebay, I tried to sell it and couldn't get the $90.00 I was asking. About a year later a good friend of mine suddenly dropped dead leaving a young wife and kid. So we had a big benefit for the kid's scholarship fund and among other things, I donated the Ryan ball for auction. A lot of people were there and the ball went for $800.00 IIRC. Always felt good about that! That was his friends' way of contributing, of course.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldSowBreath said:
Dig - I wound up with an original John Glenn album of first flight transmissions and call from Pres. Kennedy (blue cover if you want to see one on ebay) that isn't going to go for as much as I thought it would. Also two space shuttle patches one with Cabana and Sturckow, and one with Barry, Horowitz and Sturckow, and unreadable Russian names. Also 4 out of 5 of 1974 Peterson's book of space program (Just my luck, the one with Apollo 11 missing). Also got several coffee cups of various shuttle missions, and new in box GI Joe Mercury astronaut and new in box GI Joe Buzz Aldrin in moon suit. International Space Station polo shirt (small - rats). Wall plaque commemorating the 70's Soyuz - American space venture (this I was told came from Eug*ne C*rnan, but who knows?) (Doesn't have his name on it but it hung on someone's wall.). I didn't pay a whole lot for this stuff but most of it now is not going to sell for a whole lot so I'll probably sit on it. Plus, I've always liked the space program (in Houston, you know).

Anything Nasa in lucite like your's above is worth big bux. Also, things connected to Apollo program and Neil Armstrong in particular. If you ever also see a manufacturer's model of a rocket or space capsule, etc - pure gold.
Living in S.Fl. is a good area to find NASA and Space related memorabilia. I've sold a few vintage patches and Kennedy Space Center souvenirs in the past. Nothing major, other than the Lucite display. I'm always on the lookout though. Sounds like you do alright down there near Johnson. Good luck.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Any update on the bar stool saga? I'm with you my favorate color is currency green. Let us know what happens and keep posting so we can get through the long cold winter :)

HH Ace Villa-v

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
acevillav said:
Any update on the bar stool saga? I'm with you my favorate color is currency green. Let us know what happens and keep posting so we can get through the long cold winter :)

HH Ace Villa-v
Well, I guess for now i'm stuck with them, she wants to keep them for the "new house" in a year or so. I guess they're going into storage for now??... Women!!

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Sounds like you took one for the team Dig :'(. How about this say lets sell them and split the money you can buy soemthing you like and I will buy something I like. Gets rid of the stools and gets some dough in your pocket. Not sure if it will fly but Just sayin....

Ace Villa-v

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Digs, I'm on your wifes' side... I love the stools!!!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
acevillav said:

HH Ace Villa-v
You can't argue with a woman... are you kidding me! :argue: SmileySuicide.gif

Attachments

• SmileySuicide.gif
    SmileySuicide.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 349

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
My idea sounded good on paper but you're right when they have thier mind made up you loose ......... :BangHead:

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Apropos of nothing, You can never be the one to end a phone text conversation with a woman. They will always have the last text. Carve it in stone.

Dig-m-Deep

Jul 18, 2011
This is about all I have got in the past couple weeks. Sony Cyber Shot with memory stick inside had to give $3 for it then ordered a new battery and charger for less than $20. Works great. I'm a happy camper ;D

Attachments

• DSCN0033.JPG
    DSCN0033.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 223

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread