This find is Far Away from Home, INDIANS IN FINLAND, IM AMAZED!

aarremaanalla

Feb 12, 2006
Well another day in the woods and dedecting. Havent post my older finds yet but today I was very confused and happy. Walking on that trail and dedecting with my ACE. Then comes this boingboing and its digging time. First when I lookes that coin I supposed it to be from Sverige. But then I lookes littlebit more carefully and saw the United States of America text. Hmmmm, ok its coin from U.S.A, propably couple of years old. Then I noticed that its in really bad shape,yes, a old one. Then watched it again and.. Like was WHAT? ITS a INDIAN head from 1838 ;D. Very very strange ???. Lonely Indian from far far away from home and been here in Finland in that nice path covered by foliage for long time :'(. Well I think that It will be only indian head wich I will find in my lifetime, hope not. It needs a friend, he is foreinger here. So now I know what you guys are talking about, I have officially found MY FIRST INDIAN HEAD, here in Finland ;)

Alsoy find strange button from reeds. Backside off read something like st. Petersburg and some russian text. Found that lure alsoy from that same place.

Then couple of keys and newer Finland coins.

Well, do you have a good story why this little indian travelled thousands of miles here to my little country almost 2 hundred years ago?

Attachments

• pathOfTheIndian.jpg
    pathOfTheIndian.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 439
  • Inkkari1.gif
    Inkkari1.gif
    52.3 KB · Views: 397
  • Inkkari2.gif
    Inkkari2.gif
    61.3 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0
OP
OP
aarremaanalla

aarremaanalla

Feb 12, 2006

Attachments

• kolikkoojoo.jpg
    kolikkoojoo.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 437
  • nabula.jpg
    nabula.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 429

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Probably 1888

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
About your russian button - first word above is "Kopejkin" written in old russian style - it means name of the producer. It was very big for that time factory with up to 150 workers. They made mainly buttons for army. First workshop was established by Ivan Kopejkin in 1840. That bisness existed until 1917 when kommunists did a revolution.

At the bottom you can read "1.сорт" it means first class of quality, and the place of production - S.Petersburg.

HH

Sand

OP
OP
aarremaanalla

aarremaanalla

Feb 12, 2006
THANKS. Sand you are PRO! Where did you got that information, from net?

AMA

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
AarreMaanAlla said:
THANKS. Sand you are PRO! Where did you got that information, from net?

AMA

Yes - in russian segment of the net :) I am russian :)

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
As someone already pointed out, it is more than likely a 1888 (or 1883)

1838 was LONG before these types of coins were minted in the U.S.

Great find regardless.

;)

OP
OP
aarremaanalla

aarremaanalla

Feb 12, 2006
Sorry, Its in quite bad condition but you guys noticed the right year. Its 1883, if I really saw it right.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
According to my RED BOOK....the Variety 1 was Copper-Nickel, Laurel Wreath Reverse in 1859. Designer: James B. Longacre. Weight: 4.67 grams. Composition: .880 copper, .120 nickel. Diameter: 19 mm, plain edge. All coined at Philadelphia Mint.

Variety 2 was Copper-Nickel, Oak Wreath with shield (1860-1864). Same as Variety 1.

Variety 3 was Bronze (1864-1909). Designer James B. Longacre. Weight: 3.11 grams. Composition: .950 copper, .050 tin and zinc. Diameter: 19 mm, plain edge. Mints: Philadelphia and San Francisco.

Yours could be the Variety 3.

It could have wound up in Finland by someone visiting there, or someone who visited the states and went back to Finland with some US coins.

From the RED BOOK on US Coins 2006:

"During the Civil War, nearly all gold and silver, and eventually the copper-nickel cent, disappeared from circulation. In larger cities, thin, copper cent-sized tokens began to be issued by merchants to fill the void left by the missing cents. The government stepped in and with the Act of April 22, 1864, issued its own thin, bronze coin and made the issuance of the merchants' tokens illegal.

The obverse was redesigned near the end of 1864. A slightly sharper portrait included the designer's initial L (for Longacre) on the lower ribbon behind the neck. If the coin is turned slightly (so Indian faces observer) the highlighted details of the "L" will appear to better advantage. The tip of the bust is pointed on the variety with "L", and rounded on the variety without the "L". This design continued until 1909, when the design was replaced with the Lincoln cent."

Also...."On coins minted from 1859 thorugh mid-1886, the last feather of the headdress points between "I" and "C" of AMERICA. On the second variety, from mid-1886 through 1909, it points between "C" and "A"." (From what I can see on the pic you posted, yours points between the "C" and "A"....so I would say 1888.

Just a bit of tidbits to add to your coins history :)

Great find and HH........Ann

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is indeed a rare find in Finland I'm sure!!! Heck, it's a nice find here in the USA :)

Grats and happy hunting

Calico Jack

Sep 20, 2005
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
According to a passport applications, 320,000 Finns traveled to the US and Canada between 1864-1914. It would only make since that many would return during the first World War, and the ensuing civil war in Finland. A hole in someone's pocket was their misfortune, and your treasure.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds

That indian traveled a long way.

I'd say also it's a 1878 or 88 or 98.

They were made from 1859-1909

HH Jer