Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1st off I am thankful to have made it to 57, had several times where I shouldn't have but sometimes it seems like..well.. frustrating. Went to a park this morning, this means making sure for the tenth time that I have loaded everything and I know exactly where I can take a nature break at a moments notice. I usually take any jewelry off so that I don't lose them or let them interfere with the pin pointer or detector but occasionally forget. Today I find a quarter spill, 6 in one 2 foot circle and then two more off to the side and I am thinking that I have a chance at beating my best of 8 but that is not the case again. I dig the usual wire, tabs, foil and can slaw and find 5 dimes, a nickle, a handful of zincoids and find this deep faint 85 to 92 signal. My 1st thoughts are of the post that I believe Casper posted on the faint signals and I begin digging and digging and digging. finally through the sweat pouring down my eyes, I see the glint of silver at the bottom! already the thoughts of something good is in my mind as I scrape the dirt back to see what looks to be part of a car part! BUMMER! So after filling the hole and carefully cleaning it up, I wipe the sweat from my eyes and then notice that my phone is not hanging from my left pants pocket! I am hot and tired and now am frantically searching everywhere in the grass, back tracking to the truck and back again at least four times through out the area that I had been. I had picked up the trash when I had first got there and so checked everywhere for that but no phone. I went over in my mind at least fifty times hooking it on my pocket at the house and decided to drive all the way back just to see if by some chance it was out by where I was parked. Got home, not outside so I go inside and there it is, lying beside the chair where I had put my shoes on. it is bad enough that I forget stuff (strokes etc.) and have to search for things but to lose it so easily like that. I was already envisioning having to go find every one of my spots and checking the holes again in case I had buried it in one of them. another thing that gets me as well, is when you have been sweating and sweating hard for a while and then all of a sudden you have to go to the bathroom and right now! how can there be anything left in you to have to go after all of that sweating? yep, it could be worse, just wish I wasn't falling apart so quickly.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Been there! Done that! This behavior starts when one is younger!
I was a computer lab admin at our local High School and you wouldn't believe
how many kids came into the lab to do something on the computers and completely
forgot what it was they wanted to look up!
I know I've set down, turned on the computer and just went blank!
More than once I've lost my keys or some other object I was just holding!:laughing7:
It would be a serious problem if one forgets where they live!:laughing7:
It happens to all of us I guess! Glad you found your phone!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
1st off I am thankful to have made it to 57, had several times where I shouldn't have but sometimes it seems like..well.. frustrating. Went to a park this morning, this means making sure for the tenth time that I have loaded everything and I know exactly where I can take a nature break at a moments notice. I usually take any jewelry off so that I don't lose them or let them interfere with the pin pointer or detector but occasionally forget. Today I find a quarter spill, 6 in one 2 foot circle and then two more off to the side and I am thinking that I have a chance at beating my best of 8 but that is not the case again. I dig the usual wire, tabs, foil and can slaw and find 5 dimes, a nickle, a handful of zincoids and find this deep faint 85 to 92 signal. My 1st thoughts are of the post that I believe Casper posted on the faint signals and I begin digging and digging and digging. finally through the sweat pouring down my eyes, I see the glint of silver at the bottom! already the thoughts of something good is in my mind as I scrape the dirt back to see what looks to be part of a car part! BUMMER! So after filling the hole and carefully cleaning it up, I wipe the sweat from my eyes and then notice that my phone is not hanging from my left pants pocket! I am hot and tired and now am frantically searching everywhere in the grass, back tracking to the truck and back again at least four times through out the area that I had been. I had picked up the trash when I had first got there and so checked everywhere for that but no phone. I went over in my mind at least fifty times hooking it on my pocket at the house and decided to drive all the way back just to see if by some chance it was out by where I was parked. Got home, not outside so I go inside and there it is, lying beside the chair where I had put my shoes on. it is bad enough that I forget stuff (strokes etc.) and have to search for things but to lose it so easily like that. I was already envisioning having to go find every one of my spots and checking the holes again in case I had buried it in one of them. another thing that gets me as well, is when you have been sweating and sweating hard for a while and then all of a sudden you have to go to the bathroom and right now! how can there be anything left in you to have to go after all of that sweating? yep, it could be worse, just wish I wasn't falling apart so quickly.
dirtlooter.. What are you talking about you are still a young kid…57 i wish i was that young again .. But with me my wife always tells me that i don't know i am old .. I just keep going and going .She tells me slow down i just put up a new fence then detect and still truck trees 3 days a week from Ohio to upper new york and Mich .. and down to Pittsburgh Pa … She keeps telling me to just retire .. I tell her i did in 1998 this is just fun what i do now… I retired when i was 58 that was 16 years ago .. And i still drive that semi loaded with trees 3 days a week in the summer … that is what keeps me going..

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I advise against getting old

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well, its been the mileage for me, one ruptured brain aneurism, grand maul seizures, heart attack and a slew of strokes. then you throw in the normal bad back and a gimped up right foot, macular eye degeneration of the left eye and things are a little more challenging. those invincible years weren't so invincible when you throw in the motorcycle wrecks and falling 14 ft from tree stand (step broke). I was always the get out of my way guy, I'll do while you think about it. now I am the in the way guy. it is guys like Keppy that make me feel worse as I get out of their way.LOL the good thing is that I can talk again, I can walk sort of and I can detect. The word perfect or whatever it is saves me because I can't spell anymore and have to double check to make sure I don't leave a word or more out. it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. I've learned to focus on what I can do and to not dwell on what I can't do but it still gets frustrating at times. Thanks for reading and the comments. but getting old ain't for the faint of heart!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I continually lock my keys in vehicles so much that I keep extras in wallet. Dammit... ;)
Peace

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree...old guy here too. Now add dyslexia to the things you mentioned. Just wait until you realize your pinpointer isn't working because you're sticking the wrong end in the hole! Another time I went out to hunt and got out of the car with my phone, shovel, pinpointer, and water, walked about a mile from the car, decided on a place to start detecting and realized I didn't bring my detector!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buddy you got twenty years on me and I do the same thing. Betcha you remember were every good find is that you've made over the years. Down to were the plug was dug. Betcha I can sit with you and look at your collection and you could tell me when and were they were all found. Tell me I'm wrong.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I can understand the frustration!
Although, you're never in the way even if you think you are! You've had a lot of things happen to you that causes a person to stumble
(stuff that would have taken a lesser person out) and you are still up and at em!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
actually the other day I went into a room five times to do one thing, I would forget why and go back to my chair and then remember then go back and forget. I finally sat down on the bed until I remembered. oh I had the right end of the pin pointer in the hole for five minutes I tried to find the signal and finally realized that I hadn't turned it on! my long memory is pretty good, the short term comes and goes at will. looked hard the other day for 30 minutes to find the phone in my pocket, so today I checked the truck about five times and the place I was hunting the same just to make sure. I can lose a screw driver I am holding! or worse yet, tell myself that I am placing something right here so it will be easy to find and then my wife moves it on me! LOL but like I said before, it could be a lot worse and has been. it is only by the grace of God that I can do what I can do now and I am very thankful and yes, I am a very blessed man. Jerry

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done the same thing with the Pro Pointer LOL! Same here, long memory is acute! Short term is iffy, sometimes! By the grace of God and what you can work on! Like exercising the mind to recovery! My prayers go out for you!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks, you can sit at home and waste away or get out and do what you can do... just maybe a little slower and not for as long as you would like but hey, there are lots of people out there that wish they could do anything at all!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the valor of aging is being able to make things work when everything doesn't.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
actually the other day I went into a room five times to do one thing, I would forget why and go back to my chair and then remember then go back and forget. I finally sat down on the bed until I remembered. oh I had the right end of the pin pointer in the hole for five minutes I tried to find the signal and finally realized that I hadn't turned it on! my long memory is pretty good, the short term comes and goes at will. looked hard the other day for 30 minutes to find the phone in my pocket, so today I checked the truck about five times and the place I was hunting the same just to make sure. I can lose a screw driver I am holding! or worse yet, tell myself that I am placing something right here so it will be easy to find and then my wife moves it on me! LOL but like I said before, it could be a lot worse and has been. it is only by the grace of God that I can do what I can do now and I am very thankful and yes, I am a very blessed man. Jerry
I have those moments also but i try not to think about them …. Do you know a lot of young people have those forgetful moments also… I have a steel plate in my hip and have had 2 strokes but that is what i try to forget .. and just keep on going..

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, always look forward, if you dwell on the past it will drag you down. we need to go as hard as we can get away with for as long as we can. the mind says oh yeah, no problem, we can do this, the body is screaming "What were you thinking?" so we have to learn what our limitations have become and live within them... much simpler in writing than in real life. I firmly believe in pushing myself as much as I can, you have to. to quit is to give up and I ain't yet. thanks

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think getting older only adds to the fun and mystery of treasure hunting.
"Hey, where did I put my detector?"
"Did I already hunt that spot?"
"Where's the darn truck?"
As we get older there's so much more to hunt for and so much more to find. :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah, always look forward, if you dwell on the past it will drag you down. we need to go as hard as we can get away with for as long as we can. the mind says oh yeah, no problem, we can do this, the body is screaming "What were you thinking?" so we have to learn what our limitations have become and live within them... much simpler in writing than in real life. I firmly believe in pushing myself as much as I can, you have to. to quit is to give up and I ain't yet. thanks
Yes sir you got that right there...

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever notice that when you tell the youngsters something, I'm 70, that they know everything and you don't know squat. I love detecting and would go out for 7 or 8 hours with no problem. A couple years ago I broke my left femur. The doc replaced the bone with a nice stainless piece, or some kind of metal that sets my pin pointer off. Only problem was he didn't know how to read a tape measure. My left leg is now about an inch to an inch and a half shorter than my right leg. Now I'm good for 3 or 4 hours detecting, and then my back is telling me its time to sit down. Other than that, aging has been pretty good to me. The kids even let me unload the hay wagon now instead of being in the mow. The wife is also telling me to go detecting more now that I'm getting " up there " because it keeps me busy. The only thing I can say is " yes dear ".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread