Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I was watching some Stealth Digger videos thinking to myself, man I never find buttons only to go out and find a civil war era button (in Iowa no less). http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/478591-military-button-flab-button-wheat.html if you're interested.....

I ended the post with "I need to start thinking more about all the gold I haven't found.....".

So here we are three days later and the first day I had even a little bit of time to get out since. I get home late and haven't spent much time around the boys, so I say hey kids let's go to the park before it gets dark and you guys can play. Now the sun is really coming down fast at this point and we probably only have 20 minutes before it hits the horizon. After parking the car the kids run across the street to chase each other around the playground equipment and I grab the E-Trac and head to these big trees.

The park is fairly old for the area, dating from about the time when Ford cars started hitting the road and enabling folks to go car camping. This part of the park in particular has been interesting me as a) it's got some old trees, b) I've dug some old camping lamp parts (brass parts no less), and c) it's not the most obvious area of the park to hit (ie. a lot of people that detect it are not hitting this spot). I'm going fairly slow and hit a 12-16/12-17 signal about six inches deep not more than six feet from my car. Now normally I probably wouldn't dig it, but I hadn't noise cancelled and it seems like different ground occasionally comes up with different VDI if I haven't noise cancelled. Basically, I was thinking normally a nickel would be 12-13/14/or 15, but what the heck. It's deep enough where it may be something interesting.

After pulling the plug, I was suprised to find it was only about two inches deep....... and gold colored........hmmmm....and a VDI that could really have been gold. Holy Crap I think I just found my first gold ring!!! What was I saying just three days ago? Oh, and it's got one tiny diamond chip and what I'm hoping is a real (but fairly small) emerald to boot.

ring2.jpg
ring 1 (2).jpg
ring3.jpg

Ok, I'm not sure if it's really gold but every junk ring I've found came up with a much higher VDI. This one was smack in that foil/tab range.

So pluses for the gold side:
VDI smells like gold
Ring came out clean. No tarnish, pitting, or other ugliness.
Initial acid test shows it's greater than 10K (though I'm not very experienced with it).

Unfortunately some negatives as well
No markings in or around the ring
There are some decorative gaps around the stones and those appear to have a more lusterous gold tone
The stones don't appear to have the traditional retention "tines". In fact two were lost somewhere along the way. May be a glue in?

I'm going to try testing it a bit more with the acid. Would it be worth going to a jeweler? What do they charge? What are your thoughts on the ring? Chance that it's gold or am I just chasing the dream?

If it is gold...........you know, I've never found a seated liberty anything before, especially the half dollar.

Upvote 4

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the ring

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great ring, love finding those, even the junkers. The jeweler I take my questionable finds to doesn't charge me anything, they have verified two rings with real diamonds and a real beauty that was fake. Just bring it in and ask, questions are still free. Good luck.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
custom rings may not have the makings in them..like common made ones do --that ring looks out of the norm--might be a custom job..

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW WHAT A AWESOME RING . MAN THATS A LOOKER YOU HAVE THERE .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread