Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I found a bottle that way once I never made a thread on treasure net on it. Near an old orchard stone wall, a tree grew through the stones and it was leaning on the tree. The tree was not very old at all but the bottle was early 1800's. It is a local bottle that was under 1,000 made! (I read that somewhere) It is not valuable but because the low mintage and how I found it makes it my favorite bottle I ever found in my career (2 1/2 years) of bottle digging. I found it in fall of 2013. You'll never know what you will find out there!! Happy Hunting!!!!
Jolteon

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Eureka!

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, Even though the gun deserves the attention, I am very surprised on how much attention the gun is getting!!!

Right, Jolteon! It's a story which leaves you with questions lingering in your mind.

It allows you paint a picture in your mind of what may have happened that long ago day. It leaves you wishing that you could learn the who, what, why, where, when and how.

Some claim the Rifle MAY have belonged to a Silver Miner (because of the History of the area). Some say it was a Cowboy whom was hunting and was packing up his horse when he leaned his Rifle against the tree and rode off without it (funny thing is that I almost did this with my AT PRO).

I love all the stories - we all want to learn the fate of the owner. We need a Time Machine.

I wonder if they could scrape some DNA off of the rifle - that would be interesting. :-)

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if the metal detector was never invented, would these old coins and relics surface?

OP
OP
Eureka!

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I wonder if the metal detector was never invented, would these old coins and relics surface?

I read somewhere that there were early Treasure Hunters in NYC (Upper Eastside Manhattan Revolutionary War Sites) that would Grid, Dig and Sift dirt and find Bottles and they would turn up Coins and Buttons.

So, I imagine that Coins would turn up but it would be a hold lot harder to locate them.

But finding treasure like the Rifle is exciting. I saw a picture of an Antique Bicycle that was propped against a tree where the tree grew around it. The story was similar to the Rifle's story. It was in the middle of nowhere and no one could imagine why, how or who left it there.

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I can understand a rifle but I can't even imagine a tree growing around a bike

OP
OP
Eureka!

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can understand a rifle but I can't even imagine a tree growing around a bike

Well then, here ya go..... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421527753.596927.jpg

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It got up there because the tree grew. Upwards.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whoa I was afraid that article was about me

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It got up there because the tree grew. Upwards.

Trees grow from the tip, not the base, so the bike got there because someone (or likely a collaboration of troublemakers) probably took it from some unfortunate kid, climbed up the tree a little ways and then balanced it on a branch (or branches), out of reach of whoever it belonged to. The branch is gone now, but right around the center of the frame you can see where it used to be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread