This is my BEST EVER FIND !

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a box of old pictures about 20 years ago . Got them from a young guy that his grandparents left him when they died . It was a large box about the size of a banana box . I paid him $100 for the whole box only because they were lots of Civil War pictures in there and he didn't care anything about none of it . He told me that there was a picture in there of a man that wore a tall hat like President Lincoln wore . I just thought he was maybe thinking that it was a person that looked like him. WELL he was right . It is a picture of Pres. Lincoln and his staff . It was taken in 1862 by Mathew Brady OR a person that was following him during the war . Taken at the battle of Antietam . On the back of the picture is a list of the people and a number . Lincoln is #7 . Most pictures you see are like the one I just took in a book . This picture is 1 of 1 . There is copy's BUT very few of them . I spent a couple hundred dollars having it checked out and authenticated . It went up for sell at Sotheby's auction about 15 years ago but I had it Pulled out after they tried to screw me out of over $2,500 in seller fees . I had to get a lawyer , BUT I got the picture back . It cost me lot of money , BUT I was NOT going to give them nearly 25% in seller fees plus another 15% in fees taxes . So now I just keep it locked away in a safe , and in our will , to have it sold and the money split between my 4 granddaughters . I will let them deal with it . It has a plastic cover over it . Maybe you can see it . I don't even touch it without gloves on . I was told NOT to touch it when I had it appraised .And yes I do have it insured ! 100_9669.JPG 100_9671.JPG 100_9672.JPG

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a true treasure you never know whats going to come your way. Thanks for sharing it with us sorry about your experiance with Southbys sound pretty crappy. Amazing piece Tommy

Upvote 0

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

Any auction house is going to hit you with high seller fees. Might be better if you sold it while you’re still alive. If the grandkids get it after you pass on they might not do anything with it just like the person who sold you the box of old pictures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
csa1865

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree ! The way this screwed up world is . They might just toss it . YES the auction company I no is VERY well known and want there money . They had it listed at bringing $10,000 + . BUT if it didn't sell , I still would have had to paid them around 30% for listing it in there fancy book of items that was going to be sold that day . That would have been $3,000 and me and wife didn't want to take a $3,000 gamble .

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25 % fee is the standard auction fee worldwide.

Most auctions these days are 35 % or higher.

I do not know why you would "pull" that picture from one of the best auctions in the world with a worldwide buyers audience.

? ? ?

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The picture could have went sky high in bids due to its historical significance in a Sotheby's suction IMO.

You have collectors of these WITH DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP pockets.... WHO get down right serious about rare photos like this.

One of which... is Bill Gates.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... and did I mention the "others" who ALSO have DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP pockets WHO would have been possibly in a "bidding WAR" over this photo...

Besides private collectors who are billionaires... you have one main competitor for this IMO...

Um... one word says it all...

Smithsonian.

I am not trying to "bust your bubble" here... just saying... might have wanted to just "let this one ride".

Before my words totally discourage you IF they did...

One word again...

Christie's .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
csa1865

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100% . BUT at the time . Me and wife didn't have money to gamble with . BELIEVE ME ! I wish I would have just sold it !!!!! That is something that I regret to this day ! I did have a private collector make me a offer a couple years ago BUT I new it was worth more than his offer . I think the value is more know . That was about 20 years ago , BUT I can still sell it if I want to . I have talked to Christy's Auction and they said they would love to sell it for me . Like you said . It only takes 2 people that really want it ! MAN you got me thinking .

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have heard there are action houses that require the seller pay the fee even when a lot is pulled, but I too dont agree with that.

Upvote 0

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding photo and even better that there is a list of names on the back. Nothing more frustrating than having an old photo without knowing who is in it. Unless you need the money, I would not contemplate auctioning/selling it. Once it leaves your hands, it's gone. That's just my take on it though, I know everybody else has different life situations & expectations.

Either way, thanks for sharing the photo. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
csa1865

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mindcrime1988 , That's one reason I have not sold it . I am big into Civil War items and also , me and my wife do re-enactments . I am a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans , she is member of the Orders of Confederate Rose .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread