This is the White Whale of CW Buttons for this Louisiana Boy!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possum and I went to my permission and being that he just got his Deus I suggested he go to the iron pit where I’ve found 2 Half Dimes and 2 Half Reals and 1443 rusty iron nails. He told me he spoke with Calabash who suggested he put the Deus in 20 kHz in the heavy iron. Now I’ve never taken the 800 out of multi so I said heck I’m gonna try 20 kHz and proceeded to the dreaded iron field that I haven’t found anything else there in 6 months. Well my very first hole was a Civil War Confederate Louisiana Seal Pelican Coat Button!!!!! I couldn’t believe it we where like two school boys who saw a voluptuous woman. Lol I also squeaked out this small flower button and a 2 ringer that also looks special not sure. This is one of the best day of my life. I don’t see a back mark and I’m to scared to to anything else at this time. Any suggestions are always appreciated. I’d like to thank Possum for being there so I could share a once in a lifetime experience with someone and not be alone. Truly a out of body experience. Thank you all and Tnet for giving a platform to share my joy. IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_1610.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 61

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hot digging dog that's a great find! Good shape too, congrats Truth!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! Looks excellent as is and no don’t use glue or polyurethane on it!! No collie for wants to buy a button with either of those on it. I wouldn’t clean it any more. Strange that the back is blank, it looks like one of those imported sideways pelicans but I thought most of them bore back marks. I’ll look it up for ya tomorrow.

in the meantime, congrats!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS!!! By sharing this rare find, you have helped me learn. What an amazing history there is in the history of your saved relic; and what fun to share in your joy! BANNER.

EdHartzel I appreciate you BANNER nod it was truly a outta body experience and it felt good to feel young again. Thank you so much.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So now I have to rehit all my old iron infested sites at 20 kHz? Interesting. Huge congrats on your special LA CW button!!!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love that Pelican button. It rates up their with the script "A's" in my book. Great hunt! Lots of nice relics coming out of the deep south this season and your is one of them!
HH
TnMtns

Thanks you Tnmountains we never see the around these parts. I’m about 60 miles outside New Orleans. It was a honor to find in it within all those nails. And the erect shank was a bonus,

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find!! Looks excellent as is and no don’t use glue or polyurethane on it!! No collie for wants to buy a button with either of those on it. I wouldn’t clean it any more. Strange that the back is blank, it looks like one of those imported sideways pelicans but I thought most of them bore back marks. I’ll look it up for ya tomorrow.

in the meantime, congrats!

Thanks BuckleBoy and congratulations to you as well. You got 2 banner votes from from your amazing day. That tag just blew my doors off.

It’s a 22mm with no back marks, rope boarder, no rays around center shank. I got a headache looking for it. Lol Where they all gilted?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So now I have to rehit all my old iron infested sites at 20 kHz? Interesting. Huge congrats on your special LA CW button!!!

I think you should pa-dirt. I was in 20 kHz, Field 2, iron bias 1, sensitivity 23, recovery speed 6, auto GB. I really did dig less iron as well.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice button!!!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Possum and I went to my permission and being that he just got his Deus I suggested he go to the iron pit where I’ve found 2 Half Dimes and 2 Half Reals and 1443 rusty iron nails. He told me he spoke with Calabash who suggested he put the Deus in 20 kHz in the heavy iron. Now I’ve never taken the 800 out of multi so I said heck I’m gonna try 20 kHz and proceeded to the dreaded iron field that I haven’t found anything else there in 6 months. Well my very first hole was a Civil War Confederate Louisiana Seal Pelican Coat Button!!!!! I couldn’t believe it we where like two school boys who saw a voluptuous woman. Lol I also squeaked out this small flower button and a 2 ringer that also looks special not sure. This is one of the best day of my life. I don’t see a back mark and I’m to scared to to anything else at this time. Any suggestions are always appreciated. I’d like to thank Possum for being there so I could share a once in a lifetime experience with someone and not be alone. Truly a out of body experience. Thank you all and Tnet for giving a platform to share my joy. View attachment 1669579 View attachment 1669580 View attachment 1669581 View attachment 1669582 View attachment 1669583 View attachment 1669584 View attachment 1669585 View attachment 1669586

Beautiful button Truth! I am also trying to figure out the 800's frequencies. I always use multi and turn down sensitivity in trash or iron. Yesterday I was along a 350 year old road with lots of modern trash. I fiddled with the frequencies but I'm afraid I'll miss something. I read the directions on the spot but that didn't help. I'm going back there today and I'll try 20khz. You never know. If anyone can explain frequencies in laymens terms I'd appreciate it. Good luck out there. GM

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on that awesome pelican button

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No lie Truth, you have got yourself a fine looking button with that Pelican!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possum and I went to my permission and being that he just got his Deus I suggested he go to the iron pit where I’ve found 2 Half Dimes and 2 Half Reals and 1443 rusty iron nails. He told me he spoke with Calabash who suggested he put the Deus in 20 kHz in the heavy iron. Now I’ve never taken the 800 out of multi so I said heck I’m gonna try 20 kHz and proceeded to the dreaded iron field that I haven’t found anything else there in 6 months. Well my very first hole was a Civil War Confederate Louisiana Seal Pelican Coat Button!!!!! I couldn’t believe it we where like two school boys who saw a voluptuous woman. Lol I also squeaked out this small flower button and a 2 ringer that also looks special not sure. This is one of the best day of my life. I don’t see a back mark and I’m to scared to to anything else at this time. Any suggestions are always appreciated. I’d like to thank Possum for being there so I could share a once in a lifetime experience with someone and not be alone. Truly a out of body experience. Thank you all and Tnet for giving a platform to share my joy. View attachment 1669579 View attachment 1669580 View attachment 1669581 View attachment 1669582 View attachment 1669583 View attachment 1669584 View attachment 1669585 View attachment 1669586
Wow that thing looks old was the grey shirt on it when you found it lol This looks like its gonna be a killer year for you and Possum Thanks for sharing your finds you gat a cool state to hunt in Im going to need to travel to find stuff like that,, Well done nice display piece My friend

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No lie Truth, you have got yourself a fine looking button with that Pelican!

Thanks Steve it’s that first second glance and that feeling you get like OMG!!! Did I just see what I thought I saw? Then you peek again and it’s euphoria and laughter I just love that natural high.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding your white whale Dean. That is a really nice Looking Pelican button.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20 khz does seem to be a optimal on iron with the Deus - swinging the round HF in 28 most of the time. Congrats on saving that beautiful pelican from the iron, state military buttons will always hold a special place for those that dig them in their native soil. Congrats on checking that one off the bucket list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions