This is way beyond me.

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 with optional 6" coil, Whites MX Sport w/Garrett Z Link, Killer B's Stinger headphones, Predator Tools 85BC, Whites TRX pinpointer, Anaconda NX5 digger, Whites Digmaster hand digger,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So today I was out sweating like a hog doing some woods detecting here in SW Pa. I have never pulled so many bullets in my life lol.

...also pulled a few ticks.

Anywho o 20200729_211523.jpg ne sparked my curiosity because it is really white. Not powder covered. Like white white.

Bullets outside of 2 & 3 ringers and current brass I am familiar with but this is way above my paygrade.

Any clues as to what I am looking at here? The area also has a 1700s cabin not all that far away that was also inhabited during the 1800s, etc. I know it isn't 1700s old as it would be round but I'm just trying to gain any info/knowledge I can get.

Thanks in advance folks.

Hope you all are getting out there nailing the finds of your dreams.

....be well.

Attachments

• 20200729_211507.jpg
    20200729_211507.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200729_211512.jpg
    20200729_211512.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 3

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can tell by the photos its a modern, fired rifled slug from a shotgun. It looks 12 gauge.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Smokey. You can see the spiral rifling in your top picture. Looks like it came from a shotgun, and because of the rifling on the bullet, its not that old. Probably from a deer hunter. I have hunted deer for 36 years, and am familiar with that type of slug, although I still use a smooth bore shotgun, that does not have the rifled barrel.

OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 with optional 6" coil, Whites MX Sport w/Garrett Z Link, Killer B's Stinger headphones, Predator Tools 85BC, Whites TRX pinpointer, Anaconda NX5 digger, Whites Digmaster hand digger,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah but that white?

OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im not so sure that the rifling means it isn't old. Some firearms such as the Endield 1853 used rifled barrels.

....also the place where I was is now and has been a public park for a bit.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not so sure that the rifling means it isn't old. Some firearms such as the Endield 1853 used rifled barrels.

....also the place where I was is now and has been a public park for a bit.

Rifled shotgun slugs are not fired from rifled barrels, the slugs themselves have rifling on them to try to impart spin and more accuracy. The lead oxide (white stuff) forms at different rates in different areas depending on soil. I have dug a couple .54 minie balls I fired some 45 years ago and they were already white. A few in my old hunting pouch which have sat for forty years with a home made lube of beeswax and tallow have a thin white coating now, likely a reaction from acids in the tallow. Fertilizer such as used in park lawns will also likely accelerate the process. The modern American rifled shotgun slug came out in the 1930s, so yours if indeed a shotgun slug which it appears to be could be 80 years old.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was found in a heavily forested area so I see no possibility it was exposed to fertilizer. I'm familiar with the rifling on the slug itself.
20200730_113258.jpg

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d have to agree, it think it’s more than likely a rifled slug. As to the white patina, I dig .22’s and .32’s on a regular basis here in Massachusetts with a nice white patina. I’ve found that the older bullets I dig (mid 1800’s and earlier) have a very very thick coating of patina that will rub off in your hands. Like stated before in this post, I have dug minie balls I have fired 10 or 15 years ago that have turned white, I think it all depends on your soil composition. I also think you’d be hard pressed to find a 19th century rifle with that many lands and grooves.

OP
OP
Loco Raindrops

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Appreciate the input. I know basically nothing when it comes to bullets of this type.

I don't hunt deer with slugs(700 BDL 30-06) so they are uncharted territory for me.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely a rifled slug from a shotgun 12 ga most likely....lot of Pa deer hunters used these "punkin balls" to hunt deer....I did back in the day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread