This is why halves are less productive nowadays

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
<<Silver is especially attractive now that silver has had a recent 5 year performance of about 32% per year, as it has gained from $4.15/oz in 2003 to $17/oz. in 2008. >>

SIlver was worth more than what we get it for when we find a silver half, but not a lot more. Recenly it jumped, and now there are a LOT of people looking for those silver halves.

I think that is more the reason that silver is disappearing form our searches. Granted, articles and even this site DO make more people aware of this hobby, but those are written only because the reality of profit IS there. So we do see people saying "This is my first box of halves and I Have questions." on this board. And we answer, and help them. But it is not this board, nor the articles that are making people search. It is the price of silver that is making people search, and that in turn leads to people coming here and joining this forum.

NOt to menion that we are gaining some professional competition TOO. Jackson metsals wiped out a LOT of silver. Heck, look at how well LJ does with her searching! IMagine doing 50 times the volume that she does. That is what jackson metals did. And they cleaned away the cobwebs from old boxes in the back of supplies. They worked areas pretty hard. I think that is why I have gone 28 boxes in a ROW of skunks in Phoenix. They must have hit thia area too.

I Do find silver. Mostly from loose change that the banks give me, and recently 5 coins in $10 of rolls a bank saved for me. So new silver IS coming into the system. But, the larger numbers have been taken out of some metro areas. LJ and some others are still in areas that work, probably because Jackson did not hit those areas. Those of us in metropolitan areas that have been hit? Wewll, I'm searching pennies for the most part, and then get halves once in a while and seem to always shake my head and wonder why when I am done. 28 in a row! Ouch.

But this site is growing not because it is spreading the word on CRH. But because the price is up, people are collecting them anyway, and THEN they find this site.

ANd a great site it IS at that!

IMHO. :-)

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jrf30 said:
But this site is growing not because it is spreading the word on CRH. But because the price is up, people are collecting them anyway, and THEN they find this site.

And a great site it IS at that!

IMHO. :-)

I agree with JRF in that people do not find this site until after they have heard about CRHing in one way or another.

I believe that many hear about CRHing from bank employees. Think about it, the tellers and personnel that deal with us everyday have to tell others they know "this crazy guy/guy keeps coming in a buying/dumping boxes of halves, etc." If just a few tell their family or friends in passing (most people talk about what they do and see at work with others) about seeing CRHers, perhaps some of those who hear are curious. And they probably wonder why we would keep doing this day after day if we never found anything.

I think the price of silver gets more people to start CRHIng, but I believe there is a thrill of simply finding keepers that gets addictive and makes you keep CRHing. I know for me I get more excited about scoring a dream box than I do getting a new client for my business that is paying me alot more money than I will yield from that dream box's contents.

Jim

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both good points John & Jim!!

I do think the Jackson Metal deal has had an effect in my area as well. My finds are down considerably in the last month or so. Although I don't think they got it all. They left some stragglers......

I also agree silver will & is coming back into the system but at considerably much slower rates than CRH'ers would like obviously. As a whole, there is just too much volume being searched daily than there is silver coming in to get a "decent" box every other one or even every 5th or 6th one nowadays.

When I first stated CRH'ing I very rarely got a skunk box. If I only pulled 10 from a box I considered that a rough box (little did I know.....ha!), but now.....I get more way more skunks than I do boxes that hold silver.

Sure, every so often you will get a good one or a very good one but those just don't seem to come around as often as they used to.

Like I said I think the Jackson Metals deal has had some influence as well as the hobby gaining popularity.

Again, you guys made some very good points.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When I started hunting halves I had just started MDing again. I stumbled across this forum.
I had good luck in the small quantity of rolls that I searched starting Jan 08.
Heck, I even found my 1st Barber in less than $500 of halves searched, and thought wow, this is great!
Ive searched less than $100 worth in the last month, as rolls are mostly depleted in my area and I had no luck with CWI boxes.
That being said, I can't imagine a newbie having any kind of success, (at least in my area.)

AMC

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
However, I am pretty good about predicting the future sometimes.

I see Jackson Metals going out of business.

They cannot keep culling silver from circulation forever.

All of you have been saying how WE are not seeing nearly as much silver as we used to.

Well, once Jackson Metals have sucked all the old silver out of circulation in a certain area, THEY will not see nearly as much silver as they used to also.

As a result, their gross income will eventually no longer be able to pay their bills, and then they will be out of the picture.

Then we will be right back where we were before they arrived on the scene.

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I thin Jackson metals is working on going after pennies now, not halves. they finsihed the halves.

As for "once they are gone we'll be back to where we were" I don't think so. There were a lot of coins sitting for ages in many vaults. Those coins were sucked up by Jackson. NOw only new coins added to the system shall come our way. And there are more of "us" than there used to be. So, I don't think it will get back to where it was before. I think they are already done collecting, and so this is the new norm.

I Hope i am wrong, but i think this is about it.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jrf30 said:
I thin Jackson metals is working on going after pennies now, not halves. they finsihed the halves.

As for "once they are gone we'll be back to where we were" I don't think so. There were a lot of coins sitting for ages in many vaults. Those coins were sucked up by Jackson. NOw only new coins added to the system shall come our way. And there are more of "us" than there used to be. So, I don't think it will get back to where it was before. I think they are already done collecting, and so this is the new norm.

I Hope i am wrong, but i think this is about it.

So that settels it...... Everyone out of the pool......LOL

Mojo

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Fwiw I agree w/ John and Jim with the price of silver being high and the amount of Crhers out there ... this forum is only a fraction of them imo .. plus the Ebay factor silver coins are hot on there plus you can get close to melt value , alot better money than selling to a coin dealer .... a guy that sells stuff on ebay had a ad in the paper and had a listing of 10 things and what they sold for and most of those listings were coins ...

Anyways then once someone starts CRHing the thrill of the hunt kicks in and keeps people searching ... yes I my name is Ed and I am a addict ...

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
MalteseFalcon said:
However, I am pretty good about predicting the future sometimes.

I see Jackson Metals going out of business.

They cannot keep culling silver from circulation forever.

All of you have been saying how WE are not seeing nearly as much silver as we used to.

Well, once Jackson Metals have sucked all the old silver out of circulation in a certain area, THEY will not see nearly as much silver as they used to also.

As a result, their gross income will eventually no longer be able to pay their bills, and then they will be out of the picture.

Then we will be right back where we were before they arrived on the scene.

I don't know if I personally believe the story about Jackson Metals buying all the halves that are claimed in the few articles floating around on the net. I saw one where it is claimed they bought $14 million worth?? If they have that much capital to spend, why not pick a more lucrative investment for the company? For me, CRHing is a hobby (OK, addiction), but no way could I make a living on it. Even if I bought $25000 a week in boxes, I don't believe I could find enough to pay all my bills let alone have money left over (profit).

One article said the employees were going through other coins (Canadian coins) by hand, thus they would not be using a machine for the halves as well I assume (like a half dollar style Rysdale)? The article says they have 15 employees. Is the employee reading each coin's year or viewing rims, etc.?

How many halves do the 15 employees go through a day? I know personally after going through 3 or 4 boxes in a day my eyes start to get blurry looking just at rims mostly.

Why would their process of buying and going through them be any more productive than ours, other than they have better volume if they buy $14 million dollars worth at once. But they have to pay employees' salaries, rent on their building, etc., so they would have to be doing more than just CRHing if they are to stay afloat as a business.

I agree with Maltese in that if they really are buying these halves as the article says, they cannot go on forever just on this. I would think that their next $14million purchase of halves is sure to be alot of rejects circulating around from all the CRHers out there.

I would like to know how many half dollars exist at any given time that are available for purchase from banks, the fed, etc., sort of like the "float" for a stock. This figure is probably not possible to compute.

Here is the article I am referring to. http://epaperview.net/2007/11/12/lifting-ban-on-melting-pennies/

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
I don't know if I personally believe the story about Jackson Metals. I saw one where it is claimed they bought $14 million worth?? If they have that much capital to spend, why not pick a more lucrative investment for the company?

One article said the employees were going through other coins (Canadian coins) by hand, thus they would not be using a machine for the halves as well I assume (like a half dollar style Rysdale)? The article says they have 15 employees. Is the employee reading each coin's year or viewing rims, etc.?

Why would their process of buying and going through them be any more productive than ours, other than they have better volume if they buy $14 million dollars worth at once. But they have to pay employees' salaries, rent on their building, etc., so they would have to be doing more than just CRHing if they are to stay afloat as a business.

I agree with Maltese in that if they really are buying these halves as the article says, they cannot go on forever just on this. I would think that their next $14million purchase of halves is sure to be alot of rejects circulating around from all the CRHers out there.

I would like to know how many half dollars exist at any given time that are available for purchase from banks, the fed, etc., sort of like the "float" for a stock. This figure is probably not possible to compute.

Jim

Jim

I believe the article. 14 million is nothing. here is a sample of the 1964 P production from the PCGS site. That's just the P mint alone.

1964 HALF DOLLAR
PCGS Nos: 6706, 6800, 86800, 96800

Mintage:
Circulation strikes: 273,304,004
Proofs: 3,950,762

There are billions out there.

As far as rent and all the employee pay goes He is already in the business. so the rent and pay are already paid for. Who's to say he used all 15. he may have just used a couple of guys ( better to keep a close eye on them) to sort through the shipments he was taking in. and simply pulling silver coins out.

He may have had a friend in the armored car carrier business. He may have devised a system to buy sort and return the coin, and if he had connections I'm sure he cleared the vaults of all the coins he could get. Digging down to the bottom of the pallets or drums or however they stored them.

My belief is us little guys are recirculating the top of the pile on a weekly or however long it takes our dumps to be recycled. If we get anything at all it's because some unsuspecting grandma or others had dumped older accumulations and the tellers at the banks did not get them.

That is why we need to join in and either hold our dumps for a sustained period or spend them. Spread them out. Slow the return process. If you bought all your cigarettes, pizza, movie rentals, restaurants, tips and gas (anyplace where kids work.) with halves instead of cash you will be removing coins from circulation. Cause just about every kid working at these joints will begin to hoard them. Because they rarely see them.....

Commit to circulating 10 to 20% of all your dumps. some of those coins may not make it back to a bank for years.

We should all do this. lets declare the month of June the "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" I'll bet we can bust open some of those BALLISTIC bags that Cat talked about.

Mojo

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:
My belief is us little guys are recirculating the top of the pile on a weekly or however long it takes our dumps to be recycled. If we get anything at all it's because some unsuspecting grandma or others had dumped older accumulations and the tellers at the banks did not get them.

We should all do this. lets declare the month of June the "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" I'll bet we can bust open some of those BALLISTIC bags that Cat talked about.

I agree that what we are getting is the new stuff being added by people cashing in unsuspecting silver. And I also believe that if a lot are taken out of circulation, or asked for, all at once, that the top layer would be pierced and the better boxes would be found. Which is why I think Jackson did what they did. I believe that they DID that. By doing 14MM all at once, and in certain areas at a time. I think they FOUND those ballistic boxes. Not all of them, but a LOT of them. I think it was a one time chance to get what had accumulated for a LONG time, and they did it. SOrta like the dredges that worked the Breckenridge area in the river. They took up eons of deposited gold. If you were to dredge the same river today you WOULD find gold, but not enough to make it profitable. Because the long period of gathering was scooped off in the past. I think they went to certain areas and dried up the half supply. then replenished it, but did so without the silver. SO now we get only the little old ladies' accumulated dumps. That's why i have gotten more from the loose halves that come from Starbucks this year than I have from over 40 boxes of halvs from the bank. That what I believe. And I believe in a mount (hill) called Calvary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread