This is why I Metal Detect

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I am spending this winter - almost over :-( - on Edisto Island, SC about 40 miles southeast of Charleston, SC. There are LOTS of plantations on Edisto Island and the entire island was abandoned when the Union troops moved in to begin the siege on Charleston in 1861. So there is Union stuff all over the Island as well as British military artifacts from both the war of 1812 and the Revolutionary War. So most people go after that. I tend to be a bit more interested in the history of the Plantations that began with King's Land Grants in the 1700's and particularly the ones that are still owned by the family.

I have been lucky enough to get permission to hunt a handful of these very historic plantations and help the landowner better understand the who, what, when, and where of their family land. The Civil War occupation was just a small slice of the history of these family plantations.

I was hunting today on the largest family owned plantation on the Island. I have found musket balls, 3-ringers, flat buttons, a US arrow hook Buckle, an 1832 seated Liberty dime, etc. The find today was different.

I was detecting a small road they use for their Gators when they hunt deer and coons. It is in the middle of planted pines and the compacted dirt is nice to detect. Much better than the 8" of pine straw in the planted pines. I had traveled about 100 yards down the road and had dug a musket ball made into a sinker or seine weight, a Tombac button, a flat trouser button, and then I dug a somewhat "iffy" signal down about 10". The "iffy" signal turned out to be not so "iffy" and I cleaned it off an put it in my pocket - not my pouch.

I hunted my way to the Plantation house where I was to meet the owner so he could show me where some old buildings used to be and where the slave cabins were. He actually met me in his Gator on the road leading to the main house. I asked him when his Grandfather was born. He said right at the turn of the century. I asked him when his Great Grandfather was born. He said he was born right after the Civil war. I asked him if he farmed the plantation. He said he did farm the land with his father. I asked him if they grew Sea Island Cotton. He said they grew that particular kind of cotton from when the family returned to the island in 1865 until the bowl weevil did all the cotton crops in.

I knew where the story was going so I kept at it.

I said that it makes sense that his Great Great Grandfather may have been farming Sea Island Cotton with his son towards the end of the 1800's. He said that they were and that his Great Great Grandfather had traveled to Atlanta and entered some of the Plantation's Sea Island Cotton in the 1895 Cotton States and International Exposition held there and had won an award for it.

I said I know. He looked at me and asked me how I knew.

I put the "Iffy" signal in his hand. He was speechless.

It was priceless.

This is why I metal detect.

Daryl

Attachments

• Lighter.jpg
    Lighter.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,975
Upvote 1

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daryl,
That find is OUTSTANDING! What a great piece of history. Congrats on the banner. She looks pretty up there. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just gave our hobby (A Big Boost), & congratulations on your Banner find. :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

penniesmine

Jan 17, 2010
Low Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC/ Fisher F-75 Special Edittion LTD Black Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Banner........ :notworthy:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, this is yet another example of why this is

a noble hobby when done correctly by good people.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to see up on the Banner!! Congrats Chug and Red!!!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story!

Absolutely Awesome!

Engineer in MD

Jan 6, 2011
Berlin/Ocean City, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Eagle II SL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good deed indeed...Nice find and an even better job in returning it to its rightful owner.

Congrats on the banner too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread