This may be the rarest coin ever featured on this site!!!!!!!

OP
OP
TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I did not read this sooner! I am hoping that it comes back as the "Plain Edge"! It sounds as if the coin is now in capable hands to authenticate it and finally determine if it is in fact a "Plain Edge" or not. I am not sure as to whether I met Mr. McCawley or Mr. Grellman back when I was seriously searching for and collecting Error and Variety Coins but our paths may have crossed at some point. I was wondering about what happened with contacting Larry Briggs! Did Larry never get back to you or was there some other problem? Good luck! Frank
The ANA National Money Show was more convenient for me to get preliminary opinions on this coin than to send it out. It was near where I live and on the way to where All-State Band was being held. McCawley offered to authenticate it for me for free, so I took up on his offer. He may send it to Larry Briggs; I don't know. I got a very friendly reply back from Larry Briggs, so I considered sending it to him, but you see what happened instead.

Still waiting for an update. I contacted McCawley yesterday about the status of the coin, and he said that it was in the mail to some other experts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE!!!

I just got an email from Bob Grellman. This is what he said:

"Hi Chris & Thomas,

"I have examined the 1797 cent and I believe it was struck on a plain edge planchet making it S-121a. My grade is AG3 sharpness net Fair-2 due to the marks on the reverse.

"I would be happy to include it in our 31 August auction with the Goldbergs in Los Angeles.

"Please let me know if this is acceptable.

"Thanks

"Bob Grellman
M&G Auctions"

I guess this is a pretty conclusive ending to this saga. I'm ecstatic right now.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE!!!

I just got an email from Bob Grellman. This is what he said:

"Hi Chris & Thomas,

"I have examined the 1797 cent and I believe it was struck on a plain edge planchet making it S-121a. My grade is AG3 sharpness net Fair-2 due to the marks on the reverse.

"I would be happy to include it in our 31 August auction with the Goldbergs in Los Angeles.

"Please let me know if this is acceptable.

"Thanks

"Bob Grellman
M&G Auctions"

I guess this is a pretty conclusive ending to this saga. I'm ecstatic right now.

A big, big congrats on the analysis coming back that the coin is in fact a Plain Edge (S-121a). While it did not receive a full AG-03 grade, I believe that it will do well at Auction with the notation "AG3 sharpness net Fair-2 due to the marks on the reverse". I gather from the tilt of your post, you are going ahead with consignment for Auction. If I am right, then I wish you the best of luck on the price that the coin fetches!

Frank

OP
OP
TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big, big congrats on the analysis coming back that the coin is in fact a Plain Edge (S-121a). While it did not receive a full AG-03 grade, I believe that it will do well at Auction with the notation "AG3 sharpness net Fair-2 due to the marks on the reverse". I gather from the tilt of your post, you are going ahead with consignment for Auction. If I am right, then I wish you the best of luck on the price that the coin fetches! Frank

I'm actually going to shop it around to see what dealers are willing to pay before I commit to selling it at auction. We'll see how that goes.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm actually going to shop it around to see what dealers are willing to pay before I commit to selling it at auction. We'll see how that goes.

Good idea since it is sooo long before the Auction! If possible, you might want to see if you can shop it around to some "Draped Bust Variety Cent" Collectors, since Dealers are in the game to make a few bucks and the Collectors are in the game to get specimens for their' Collections as well as for investments. Who knows what offers you might get from Collectors but it would probably be 15% to 35% higher than any from Dealers.

Good luck!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread