This MD Must Be JUNK!

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, now I KNOW I made a mistake buying this one. Finally tried to locate the 9 items I buried myself a few days ago, & guess how many I found? NONE! Buried a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, pulltab, bolt, nail, washer, & a socket, NONE of which I can detect with this thing! What a tremendous waste of money that I'm now gonna be making payments on for months.

Even with wet ground, which is supposed to increase conductivity, & even with my sensitivity cranked ALL THE WAY UP, & discrim low, I STILL could not find even a single thing which I myself buried just a few days ago, & nothing is more than 4" deep!

Apparently, this thing will only detect large objects or small ones that are practically laying on the surface. Pretty discouraging when U can't even find something that U know FOR A FACT is there! What a bummer.

And I thought this was supposed to be a good one. What a joke! Wonder what I can get for this thing on eBay... :BangHead:

"The Lord is my shepherd"
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is it the White's Classic 5 you have mentioned in your info? I've seen one of these in action and the problems you describe make me think it needs to go in for service. I'd say take advantage of the warranty or even call White's and see what they have to say.

Now this is not meant to insult in ANY way, but...is the coil connected well? Batteries good?

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyledriver said:
Now this is not meant to insult in ANY way, but...is the coil connected well? Batteries good?
Thanx, & no offence taken! Yeah, it's a new unit, new batteries & all. It WILL detect, but apparently only large objects, or small ones which are on or close to the surface. I'm just disgusted, & this sweltering heat & smothering humidity only compounds the problem! I can only stand it out there for a few minutes at a time!

"The Lord is my shepherd"
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, it sounds like a pep talk but, chin up! The heat has me detecting nights right now and even that is borderline tolerable. It does seem that the detector has some sort of issue though, did you get it from a dealer? Not sure how this works but if it's new enough maybe you could return it as defective?

That detector should be able to pick up any coin at the depth you listed. Does it have an all metal mode or is it a disc. only machine? Is there any other metal that might be in the ground near your targets? Something that the machine is disc'ing out which somehow might affect it reading the target you're looking for?

locolarry

Aug 7, 2010
Cary, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di PRO, WHITES GOLDMASTER 66TR, DETECTOR PRO HEADHUNTER
I'd re-read the instructions, first, to be sure it was tuned properly...no change?, I'd call Whites and talk to them about it!
Maybe they'll exchange it for you, send it back insured or call the cc company and withhold payment/
Whites is a good brand, maybe yours is 1 in 100 bad outa the box

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Call White's or go to the White's web site and register on the Forum under the Information pull-down; I'm sure you can find some help. That machine should do at least what you're trying to do if not a few inches deeper. :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Circumstances of the sale? It sounds like you got a lemon.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I bet you could find a video on youtube showing the same unit in action. To fail on 4" is a big fail.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you air tested it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread