this mornings finds

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
even though it was damp i decided to hit an elementary school ive been hunting the last few weeks. came away with 8 washington quarters
12 roosevelt dimes
3 nickles
45 zinc pennies
1 wheat pennie 1951
i was surprised to find the wheatie since this is a fairly modern school. i am sure it was built in the late 60s. i guess it was probably dropped shortly after they opened the school. i only hunted about a third of the playground so i am sure there is more to be found.........this hunt also gave me a chance to try out the lesche predator tool for the first time. its a very good digger. i was able to cut and pry out plugs with ease.if anyone is thinking about one go ahead and get it. you wont be dissapointed.well.........thats all untill next time. ;D

Upvote 0

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad for a rainy day, and a wheatie is always a nice find to add to a pile of clad! Schools are great places to hunt, always full of stuff, even if most of it is new! HH!

C

cbbrink

Nice finds. What years did they make zinc pennies?

Thanks,

Chuck

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
thanks for the replies guys! zinc pennies are the new crappy ones that seem to disintegrate when theve been in the ground for a while. i guess uncle sam got tired of paying for copper pennies and opted for the cheap zinc ones.i dont know when they started with the zinc although i am sure someone around here knows.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good days hunt - especially in the rain!

Find more, dig more, post more!

HH

Lonewolfe

bagglaydee

Mar 22, 2005
Kernersville, North Carolina
Nice finds, even in the rain.

Uncle Sam switched over to zinc (core) pennies in 1982. On the flip side, though, copper pennies were still minted in 1982! What to do, what to do. I keep any pennies, 1982 or older, and "recycle" '83 and newer back into the economy....LOL That is, recycle them after they're checked for oddities/misprints, etc.

Keep up the good work...hope to hit a little league field and soccer field tomorrow if this wind dies down.

HH all...barb

N

NC Barefoot2

WTG! You made more today than I make in a month. Hope you find many, many more as you journey through the fields and school yards. Today I had my yard turned over for new seeding and the only thing there was dirt! Maybe we should of had the neighbor's yard turned over instead. Best wishes and congratulations on all your finds.

NC Barefoot2

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
na sorry surfrat i dont have a camera.....or even a scanner! im not much of a computer nerd. i can barely turn the damn thing on half the time!! i am going to look into getting a scanner soon though and will put up some pics then. ;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds.

Yeah, the scanner works great. No worries about focusing. It's pretty simple.

Haupin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread