This one came a long way....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Sometime in the last 90 years or so this coin took a trip from the great frozen north down here to the deep south.
On vacation, tired of the cold and snow, wanderlust....I guess I will never know but yesterday I dug it up.
A 1918 Canadian large cent, sometime in the 20's they changed to the small size like ours.
I had no idea what this thing was at first, I was thinking token but I really had to scrub it to get any clues.
Finally saw some of the word Canada, got the date, 1918, got over my shock and I smiled.
Also found a 1945p war nickel, both in my little neighborhood laboratory which is an area I have been hunting for hours and hours.
Anything non ferrous that comes out of here is a victory, I am trying some new settings and techniques and they seemed to work extremely well so...happy.

This was in still mineralized but better black dirt and if you notice that is stubborn stuff and it likes to crust over and hang on, even to silver.
These will be tumbled and that should make them look better but even like this they are still beautiful...to me.

Attachments

• photostudio_1488500235294_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1488500235294_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 9

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You certainly deserve finding nice stuff. Congrats!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing, I found one of those exact coins in my mother and fathers back yard where I grew up. It was a couple days after my mother passed. One of my favorite "out of place" finds. I do not find allot of Canadian coins in my area, just thought it was amazing your "out of place find" was the same as mine. I didn't want to hijack your thread by posting a pix of it. Nice finds.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find a few of those Canadian largies each year. I enjoy finding them actually. Nice snag

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a 1908 Canadian LC about 8" deep in a yard in NC.

You might try electrolysis, instead of tumbling. It will remove the corrosion without "roughing up" the coins so much.

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
That's amazing, I found one of those exact coins in my mother and fathers back yard where I grew up. It was a couple days after my mother passed. One of my favorite "out of place" finds. I do not find allot of Canadian coins in my area, just thought it was amazing your "out of place find" was the same as mine. I didn't want to hijack your thread by posting a pix of it. Nice finds.
Post away, I don't mind.
A pretty nice looking coin in good shape.

photostudio_1488553419951_zpsovmruxej.jpg

I find a few of those Canadian largies each year. I enjoy finding them actually. Nice snag

Yea, Michigan.
I go on vacation from time to time and hunt areas and parks around Lake St. Clair so finding modern Canadian coins is easy because they migrate freely across the border.
This older large cent is more rare...to find one here in Birmingham Ala. shocked me.
I live for that kind of thing, a big reason I do this hobby.

Thanks all!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, , congrats on the War Nickel.
A little baking soda paste might brighten it up.
Congrats on the Large Canadian Cent.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Canadian largie is a pretty cool find. Thanks for sharing!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Large Cent! I have a huge collection of them, probably around 200! I love them, even more than Indian Head Cents. Congrats on finding one, I still have yet to find any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread