Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
drove my truck bout 40 feet north of the rasberry patch
opened the door looked out and wow!, here we have an unbroken arrow shaft wrench which is very rare cuz every darn one i get fortunate enuff to run across is always broke across the hole
next i grab my trusty canon camera and snap B4 Igrab it
next i pick it up and start cleaning the dirt from this nice piece
now i discover that it ain't a wrench .........it is a knife handle! (only w/a hole drilled in it!!) ya baby!!!!
never found a piece like dis one, too cool in my book
check it out and please give me your thoughts
thanks in advance
larson1951

Attachments

• IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 745
Upvote 0

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Now that is a fantastic piece :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:, I never have seen anything like it :headbang: that is great :hello2:. I say "Banner" also :icon_thumright:.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Great find, Steve. I have seen reproductions of those but never the real thing....goat

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome looking piece Steve. I bet the hole was drilled in it so a leather strap could be put on it and it could hang from their belt or from around the wrist. Very cool artifact and I say Banner as well. Those are rare items anyway and one with a hole drilled in it is even rarer since it's the only one you've ever found.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I wondered about that SRV, that would be practical, but, a question for the other steve, does it look like the broken wrenches as far as the location of the hole? and exactly what was a wrench? :icon_scratch: I haven't seen one posted here like this bone tool in two years, so BANNER it is!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
I wondered about that SRV, that would be practical, but, a question for the other steve, does it look like the broken wrenches as far as the location of the hole? and exactly what was a wrench? :icon_scratch: I haven't seen one posted here like this bone tool in two years, so BANNER it is!

I believe the wrenches were used on the bolts to put their Teepees together. ;D

Actually, I'm sure they were used to straighten out shafts for their arrows and spears/darts.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Larson!! would please a photo or two of your bone multie tool and some of your broken shaft wrenches so we can try to compair the holes for size to get rid of thought that it might be a leather strap hole. i love it and think a multie tool. somebody tell me how to vote banner!!! Terry

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thankyou and thank you! for the votes!
i will get some more images made today
a shaft wrench was for straightening a bend in a shaft when an arrow was being made
i have some pictures of me using a wrench and i will try to find today also
i really appreciate the banner votes
i have not seen one like this even at the heritage center museum
the slot is where one or two flint or agate blades were hafted or fastened, i will try to put a blade in it and get a pic of it also
terry the banner vote thingy is on the lower left corner of your post,....see it?
steve
larson1951

here is a page from a book wrote around 1910 about the mandans
it shows bone knife handles but none with a hole and shows that they were usually cruder
srv, i did not know they wore belts (lol)

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 585

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Steve, Looking at your knife handle in the photo's, It look's like it is made of rib bone is that correct ?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
yes it is rib bone
thanks for vote
tmodel and 1ab,... iwill do what you want as far the wrench and the blade
larson1951
steve

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
In that last picture of the book, does the big knife in the middle have a bone blade? I doesn't look like stone, and I know you just found a bone blade in another post...? same thing?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks
yes it is a bone blade in that one
and these handles are rib bones
steve

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
That is an incredible find! Looking at the examples, would the blade merely be pressure fitted into the groove? I'm guessing that not just any blade would fit it, would the blade be custom made for that particular handle? Oh, I'd love to find one of those and insert a found blade into it, that would display well!

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Steve, the question above is a very good question about how the blade would be held in the slot of the handle. Do you think it would have been held with something like pitch glue made from tree sap and then maybe sinew wrapped ? :dontknow: ??? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread