This PI machine is wearing me out

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Sand Shark is wearing me out. Hits deeeeeep, but hits everything with no clear indication of composition (as advertised). I'm looking to move to something that will give some iron discrimination and although I understand the trade-off is a little depth...I'm good with it. Don't want to break the bank, would like to stay in a price comparable to my Shark, but looking for input from others who've made the switch or who can speak to the pros/cons of their saltwater machines. I don't go deeper than chest high and usually only waist deep...or more often knee deep or less. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the Excal handle black sand beaches?
I find it does pretty well if, you swing the coil slower, try to keep it an even distance from the ground, and you don't bump the sand. This is in PP. In Disc, it's pretty chatty if you run it hot, like I do. I still dig the occasional iron target, but, nothing like using a PI. Those things drive me crazy on my beaches. With a big coil (I.E. 15"), I get the same depth as my buddies' stock Dual Field.....at least we haven't found a target that would hit on one machine and not the other yet.....in two years of trying.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Up! Digging it all is not like lifting bricks all day. Join us in the surf and laugh at all the Minelab and Fisher guys jogging up and down the wet sand like Sandpipers. Keep digging and grow strong. Use the Sand Shark, BE the Sand Shark! :thumbsup:
Thanks for getting all that junk out of my way Terry! :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a false advertisement if i've ever seen it, lol.
You don't dig iron with a CZ21 either...unless you want too....so why is it false advertisement?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew.... youve just not spent enough time driving the Xcal buddy. You are the poster boy for the SS and your finds prove it. Nothing wrong with being a sand piper Terry.......ill match find with you at the end of the day as well as iron. I dig very little iron unless its a VERY VERY deep bottle cap. I use a blue and in PP .....not as deep as a PI we all know that, but you will cover move beach and that style of hunting can make up or exceed anything deep you may have passed up. The Xcal or CZ are worth having and ANY water machines going to pay for its self.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for getting all that junk out of my way Terry! :laughing7:

Not at all Cuda! Just keep in mind I also got all the old and new gold that came with it, so you'll probably hit a lot of recent drops. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• summer2011.jpg
    summer2011.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 91
  • gold cache 002.jpg
    gold cache 002.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 87

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments so far. Terry...I'm torn to put it down but geez...I've got piles and piles like that. Ready to work a little smarter and less harder. 3 years of the Shark is wearing me out. But it sure hits the stuff!

Flglider...which detector leaked for your friend?

It was a CZ-21. He elected not to have it repaired and is considering switching to a PI machine due to funds. I also have a CZ-21 and it's awesome in the water. I don't dig iron (unless i want to), but I still dig bottle caps.

It was a tough choice between the Excal and CZ, but the CZ seemed easier to chest mount with a shorter learning curve, and standard batteries. I met a gentleman and his wife who basically detect for a living, for the past 20 years. They travel they world, and they were both using CZ-21's. So that helped me make up my mind, but there is no wrong answer Excal and CZ are both great machines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a CZ-21. He elected not to have it repaired and is considering switching to a PI machine due to funds. I also have a CZ-21 and it's awesome in the water. I don't dig iron (unless i want to), but I still dig bottle caps.

It was a tough choice between the Excal and CZ, but the CZ seemed easier to chest mount with a shorter learning curve, and standard batteries. I met a gentleman and his wife who basically detect for a living, for the past 20 years. They travel they world, and they were both using CZ-21's. So that helped me make up my mind, but there is no wrong answer Excal and CZ are both great machines.
The Excal is easy to hip mount or chest mount also. You can use either rechargeable or alkaline battery pods too.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all Cuda! Just keep in mind I also got all the old and new gold that came with it, so you'll probably hit a lot of recent drops. :thumbsup:
I've got a pile like that too....... old and new.....and without the pain of digging iron!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm a candy azz then! I'll take discrimination over raw depth any day of the week. At the end of the day it's all about enjoying your time spent swinging not how much crap I can dig at 20"

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Excal is easy to hip mount or chest mount also. You can use either rechargeable or alkaline battery pods too.
Yes, the excal is easy to do an inexpensive hip mount. I did it with a simple carpenters belt. Makes swinging easier. It DOES however cause excessive stress on the cables due to you swinging your hips back and forth when you shake your scoop. It also has you running the cables from the excal out, up, and along the side of you to the shaft which overly exposes them to external dangers like your shovel when you're digging.
I went from the hip mount to having it mounted at the very top of the shaft behind my elbow. Makes it balance VERY VERY well, Keeps all the wiring much less exposed. Mate that with a pro swing 45 or even a DIY shoulder harness and a cheap bungee cord and you can literally hunt longer than the sun is up. I don't know why I didn't do it this way a long time ago.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll throw in another positive post for the CZ. I dig a lot of junk, but it's not iron. Also, I don't detect on the dry sand anymore because of the sweeper trucks. I stay in the water the entire time.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I give those sweeper drivers and ugly look every time they drive past me. Then again, who ever said I wasent ugly

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the excal is easy to do an inexpensive hip mount. I did it with a simple carpenters belt. Makes swinging easier. It DOES however cause excessive stress on the cables due to you swinging your hips back and forth when you shake your scoop. It also has you running the cables from the excal out, up, and along the side of you to the shaft which overly exposes them to external dangers like your shovel when you're digging.
I went from the hip mount to having it mounted at the very top of the shaft behind my elbow. Makes it balance VERY VERY well, Keeps all the wiring much less exposed. Mate that with a pro swing 45 or even a DIY shoulder harness and a cheap bungee cord and you can literally hunt longer than the sun is up. I don't know why I didn't do it this way a long time ago.

I wear mine behind me on my lower back. It's out of the way, no stress, no problems. The headphone cable goes up my left side and the coil cable on the right. I leave a lot of slack for it, so it doesn't bind or cause a sharp bend.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda, I think I'm going to try that method. I met a fellow pirate Sunday that had his on his back belt line. Seemed very comfortable. I've about decided to just hunt in disc rather than flipping back and forth from am-disc on my straight shaft. When the threshold pitch changes on the Excal without a target response you are basically hitting targets as deep as you will in pp

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
I manufacture and sell Hip Mounts and Shaft Extensions for the Excal if anyone is interested. Free shipping and a 20% discount to all TN Members. PM me if interested. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread