this should be a sticky

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
If you lose a really expensive ring, the worst thing you could do is openly advertise asking for help and giving the location etc of the lost ring.

If you do, you are just asking for anyone to just go find it and keep it.

Sure, there are many people that would actually try to find it so they can return it, but I think there are just as many, if not more, people that would try to find it and keep it for themselves.

If I lost a really expensive ring and I wasnt a detectorist, I would seek out one person with a detector that I could trust. Either that or I would buy a detector and try to find it myself.

PS Pick me, I will only charge you for time and materials, plus expenses of course.

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I believe this to be a true statement.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the vast majority of folks I've met in this pursuit have been honest to a fault. At least when it comes to detecting. I have known people that have dug up rings worth thousands of dollars, expensive jewelry, etc. at the request of the missing items owner and just handed it back to them. Sometimes, all the detectorist gets is a pat on the back and a thank you. No reward or anything. Still, the detectorist is happy to have helped out and glad to have provided a good deed.

There are also many who find items and have no way of knowing who the owner is. So, they go through a lot of work (on their own time & dime) to track down the correct party that lost said item. I would venture to say that MOST of the people in this hobby would do the same. Sure, there are always a few bad apples in ANY endeavor, however, I believe most in this hobby to be honest, trustworthy individuals :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the mind set today it is the rare individual that would go out of their way to find someones lost valuables for them. Sadly there are many among us that are thinking this hobby is for profit.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some, it is their full time job... For others, it is a BIG supplement to their income... If I had to depend on this to live, I would be starving.. LOL..

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
For some, it is their full time job... For others, it is a BIG supplement to their income... If I had to depend on this to live, I would be starving.. LOL..

Very true!!! If not starving, at least loosing some weight..
Gold Nuggets :hello:

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
"If you lose a really expensive ring, the worst thing you could do is openly advertise asking for help and giving the location etc of the lost ring."

The main idea is to FIND the stuff and NOT to wear nice jewelry where you will lose it. I also think there is more gold jewelry to be found these days then ever before. Back in the "good old days" parents usually did not buy 10 or 14K jewelry for the kids as a gift. How many older folks remember their parents saying "we were lucky if we got an orange for Christmas?" Wearing jewelry at the beach is about as smart as draping yourself in gold jewelry and visiting the getto on foot.
My wife recently left the camera in the rental car when she returned it. Guess what? We spent all night listening to prerecorded messages at budget rental car in Indianapolis and when we finally reached someone they assured us IF found it would be returned. She called the same person later and that representative didn't even remember her calling. Needless to say the camera was never "found" and never returned. The so called "help" from budget rental company sucked. I could see where someone might lose something somewhere and later end up hundreds of miles away from the site where the item was lost. What choice do they have but to advertise the lost item and hope a honest person does the right thing and returns it. I also imagine there are less items returned than kept. Our whole hobby is based on folks losing items. I think losing a nice ring at the beach is the perfect excuse for a spouse to buy a metal detector if they don't already have one. In that case you lost a nice ring, bought a detector and then went out and eventually found a few more rings than you lost in the first place. Karma always wins out.

JRich

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sandman said:
With the mind set today it is the rare individual that would go out of their way to find someones lost valuables for them. Sadly there are many among us that are thinking this hobby is for profit.
I would and I have on many occasions looked, found and returned lost items for people when asked....BUT not for profit?? What am I missing?? I have about 10K in machines, Certified SCUBA with all the equipment and many years of experience and my time-sorry but I am a capitalist and making a buck doing something I like is hard to beat :icon_thumright:

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Sandman said:
I would and I have on many occasions looked, found and returned lost items for people when asked....BUT not for profit?? What am I missing?? I have about 10K in machines, Certified SCUBA with all the equipment and many years of experience and my time-sorry but I am a capitalist and making a buck doing something I like is hard to beat :icon_thumright:
Amen Brother. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread