jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend and I just got back from an elk hunting trip in the Sprague unit in south central Oregon near Crater Lake. In the Oregon hunting regulations it says that this unit is 70% public lands.
Well on our way back to camp one night after hunting all day we came across a couple of guys spot lighting, I was not able to get any lic plate number but was able to get a description of the vehicle. I reported it to the State Police who then informed me that the local Klamath Indians have a contract with the Forest Service that allows them to hunt by any means necessary day or night 24 hours a day all year round. While on one of our hunts we came across a sign posted by the Forest Service that says they have the right to use a portion of land near the river. I wish I had photos but did not get any. Along the Williamson River for at least a mile or more it looks like a GARBAGE DUMP with all the little shacks and crap just strewn all over the ground.
We hunted for 5 days and saw O elk and only 2 deer in the headlights on our way back to camp, now for the Klamath Indians that are fighting dredging in Cal, saying that dredging is destroying the Coho habitat I would have to say what good is the habitat if there is nothing left in that habitat.
This is non Tribal ground, this is PUBLIC land and yet this is what we get from our Forest service, the worst part is that the Fish and Wildlife lets you believe that there is nothing going on there. :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Jog
I would, if possible, go back and take all kinds of pics, videos, whatever i could and post them all over the net for people to see.

Hefty

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: AMEN-H1 & GH---take the fight to them and publish before we all perish-1776 is here again and fun has begun---John :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep,we encountered the same thing in Montana.We were lion hunting and seen some Moose.Told a warden in conversation,he asked us to not talk about it because if the local Indians heard they would kill them,and the population was nearly gone....there was no season open,and it was public land?He informed us it didnt matter...next day there was three trucks full of Indians in the backs,rifles and all EVERYWHERE,they found and shot a cow and calf. >:(

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, that is really sad. I personally don't agree with how we treated our native americans in the old days, but this is hypocrisy at its best. The native americans complaining about us dredging, and then they go about destroying the land in their own way. Not right at all. We are by far less destructive dredging compared to mass litter and free range, nonseasonal hunting. Dredging is not destructive to our environment and most miners in general love and respect the outdoors and usually leave the area cleaner than when they left. Bah.

AA

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little research on this area, it appears that in 1956 a Tribal executive committee was formed of about 11 people. the 1956 census: revealed that only 351 full blooded Indians lived in Klamath county. The Klamath Indian Agency, a department of the U.S. Government, supplied free medical care to all Indians, also schools were built by the Government and students received a stipend of $100 to $270 for books and tuition. There was a 60% drop out rate before graduation.
Senator Mark Hatfield believed integration into the white community was better than segregation and welfare.
Termination procedure and education:
a.Information bulletins were sent out to every member.
b. Many tribal member informational meetings were held.
c.Information bulletins explained what the vote would entail.
d. Registered letters were sent to every person certifying they received a ballot.
There were 2,133 voting members. 77% of the Klamath Indians chose to sell. The land was not taken from the Klamath Indians- it was there choice to sell.
Terms of the termination contract: Klamath Indians retained their right for fishing, hunting, trapping and gathering on 600,000 acres. The tribe was paid $243 million dollars. The appraised value of the timber at that time $91 million dollars. The approximate value of land and forest in the year 2001 is over $1 billion dollars.
So they chose to sell but still have the OK to basically rape the land that all tax payers like you and me have to go by all laws or we go to the poky cuffed and stuffed.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
It is just not right for one group of Americans to receive special privileges due to their race. Whatever happened in the past should not effect the present status. Often these special treatments backfire and ends up doing more damage than good anyway. Not to mention, it makes people too dependent on the ones in the handout business. :icon_scratch:

jpdriver1

Sep 8, 2011
orange county, ca
we were living in medocino county here in Ca and encountered the same situation --- the reservation was a bit trash dump, dead cars, wild dogs, 1/2 nekid kids running around. As long as they live in the reservation they get federal money, free medical care ect...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions