This weekends adventures in the snow! CW findings.

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005
A friend of mine who doesnt detect came up this weekend to visit. I decided to take him out to try and find a few civil war bullets using my trusty Ace 250 while I used my new F75. We planned on hitting a spot with a few friends from TNET (ridge_runner, and schlooppy) right at daybreak but if you have seen the weather for Missouri this weekend you'll know we got hit pretty bad with snow. It came in 2 waves one overnight Saturday and one later Saturday evening. So being the intelligent beings that we are we drive 120 miles there in the tail end of the first storm! lol Spent a little time showing my friend how to use the machine then showed him a good target and dug up a bullet. He then went off and dug up 5 or 6 on his own. I got around 8 I think. Pictures to follow. Well on the way out my friend digs a target right at the tree line and pulls out a mid 1800's rosette! So he beat me with my own detector. lol I had a great time hunting with good friends and then had the pleasure of driving 120 miles back in the second half of the snow storm. There were several times that the roads were totally covered and had no traction for miles at a time. Still worth it but now my wife has more ammo for questioning my sanity!

So then Sunday there is 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground so what do we do, go out to a local site for 5 hours and do it all over again. I got skunked and he got 2 wheats from the 20's and a 58 cal roundball. Again he skunked me with my own machine. lol Gribnitz came out for a bit to watch him skunk me but by that time we were starting to get cold so we finished up for the day. I hope everyone had a good a weekend as I did. Got to have an adventure, hang out with good friends and even got some Civil war bullets to sweeten the pot. Oh yeah and I created a new metal detectorist, my friend is buying a metal detector as we speak and I hope he keeps his good luck near his house! lol

Here are some pics, the bullets are all mine the rosette is his. I never got pics of his bullets or coins.

Alan

Attachments

• 1215071933.jpg
    1215071933.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 696
  • 1215071939.jpg
    1215071939.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 700
  • 1215071939a.jpg
    1215071939a.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.
Hey Alan it was good to see you again. You guys had some good finds there. I had to bail early because I knew them curvy lake roads would be getting bad. Lucky I did, the whole way was ice and it took me four hours to go whats normally one & half hours. We all need to get together again and do some hunting. Have a good one, talk to you later

John

OP
OP
O

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah we left about an hour after you and really were wishing we would have left when you did when it really started coming down halfway home. It was good getting out and detecting with you and we will definitely do it again, hopefully next time its not quite so snowy! lol It took us about 3 and a half hours to get home and I was able to outrace the storm for the first hour. The last 40 miles took 2 and a half hours. What did you end up with? I didn't see you before you took off I was way on the other side of the hill.

Alan

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Great post!
NOTHING LIKE HUNTING IN THE SNOW-YOU NUTS/(JUST KIDDING)
Hope all of you have a great Christmas.
Joe

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Braving the element's to save history.....Sound's good to me oberkill.Glad you all made it back safe and sound.Nice lead and rosette....Love it!!

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Alan,

It's was great hunting with you and Jason.... Great that Jason did so well. I know he's hooked now. You could tell just by the look in his eyes when he'd dig a bullet. Especially when he dug that rosette. Congratulate him again for me. Can't wait to do it again. It will have to be after the new year for me. I will be leaving Friday for my long trek to Florida.....

Great finds guys. I hope that while I'm gone you will empty the place out. I will be looking for the posts...

Happy Holidays,

ridgerunner

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ober! You guys are crazy! :D I LOVE to hunt, but I don't know if I could stand all those elements. :P :D Great you got a new huntin' buddy! Tell him congrats on an awesome find! Was great to see you in Scott's pics. :) You all need to start thinking about who's gonna put on next years hunt. ;D

Congrats on those finds and happy you all made it back home safely. :)

Nana

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Alan. You too, Jason! Glad you guys made it safely back home.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions