This weekends finds

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I got permision to hunt a field and creek in southern wv over the weekend, spent an hour on sat. night and hit it hard this morning for 3 hours. There's a well known salt lick in the area, and the remains of a stone breastwork indian fort. This site is multicomponent, paleo, archaic, and woodland. I found my first turkeytail, a nice grinding stone with remnants of organic matter, and a heartbreaker green stone celt I'll probably never get over.

Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is a great hunting site. Nice haul. Hope you are going back there 37, can't wait to see what else you find.

Molly.

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
That spot looks awesome. I know how that celt must make you feel (well the turkeytail too), but you will just have to try to find the other half.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it. Solll, thanks, this spot is red hot because of the 5 inches of rain we've recently had, never seen so much erosion and flint. I'm hoping to one day find the other half.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the post 37.im interested in finds from west virgina.looks like you have some nice ones.i plan on hunting the kanawaha valley area soon,its up on a hill above the capital and a holler they call blackhawk.my dads dads land. jamey

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be stoked thirty7. Looks like you are the first one there in a while. I guess with All the grinding tools it was under occupation for a long long time. You will get over that broke greenstone it takes ummm about 5 years,lol. I know. Glad you are on a killer spot.
TnMountains

TripleCreek

Jan 27, 2009
Mid Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro- DeLeon
Wow!!

Nice finds 37, Thats a productive 3 hours. I can't wait to see what else comes out of that spot!!

That is a bueatifull green stone celt. Sorry, it was a "Heart Breaker". The break seems to be in a very unusall place. Any theorys on why! Did you see any flaws in the stone? Any chance we could see a close up picture of the break area? The bit looks like it is unused, like new.
Was it possibly broke during porduction? Either way it's Still a trophy.

3creeks

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
jamey, good luck in the Kanawha valley, alot of paleo in that area, appreciate the comments.

Triplecreek, thanks, for the kind words, I've included two close ups, one of the break, and one of the bit and side polish. There is slight damage to the bit, although I'm unsure if it's use wear, or natural creek tumble. My best guess about the break would be a tractor rolled over it on firm ground, or perhaps while on top of other stone. It would have to be great force because the break is in the thickest part of the stone, the break looks fairly old. Any ideas yourself?
thanks Tnmtns, and bean man for looking and commenting.

Attachments

• phpFttG7mPM.jpg
    phpFttG7mPM.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 236
  • phpxeveXUPM.jpg
    phpxeveXUPM.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 224

TripleCreek

Jan 27, 2009
Mid Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro- DeLeon
Thanks for the closer look Thirty7.

Looks to me like, now that I see the "flat" on the bottom, that it is a half grooved ax, not a celt. Is it possible that the ax broke in front of the grove? I have included a pic, of a full grove ax I found with a similar break. Because of the way a celt is hafted, it needs to put pressure on the top and bottom of the hole, that it is compressed into in the wood handle, in order to make a tight fit. I am not sure that the flat bottom would form such a compression fit. I have never seen a "flat" like that on a celt. I could be wrong though. Most celts are symmetrical on the top and bottom. That is a piece I would like to hold, to take a closer look at though.

Best Regards,
3creeks

Attachments

• DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
3creek, you could be right, it may be an axe, possibly an axe preform that was ungrooved. I think that photo is misleading because of the angle I'm holding it at. It's actually very symmetrical, both the top and bottom halves and the sides. Similiar break as your piece, too bad about that nice fully grooved axe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread