Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Weekend's Hauls

I had a great weekend. Some friends who I haven't seen in a long time stopped by to hang out and wish me well, which was an awesome surprise, and one stayed for the weekend to get me outside and wheel me around. It was kind of a downer spending my birthday in the hospital but this weekend surely made up for that. We had some good weather and some great adventures.

This is what I acquired on three trips to three different flea markets, and each expedition was different. I already made a thread about my first outing, where I picked up my first Haserot jar (a quart) and a very interesting Crown pint at reasonable prices. On the second outing I decided to bring some milk bottles that I had doubles of to see if anyone would want them. I happened to run into this vendor that I rarely see who sells lots of bottles and glass. I ended up getting a really good price on a pair of jars and a bottle (that my friend wanted) in exchange for the milks that I brought. I got a Gem quart, and a beautiful Darling quart - this jar is a beautiful true blue, it's got some nice whittle, and I've eyed this jar for a long time so I'm glad to have finally taken it home. At the third market, we were surprised to see that a lot had changed with the place. There were very few customers, and a lot of vendors were packing up their stuff into trucks and taking it away. Maybe the place is closing down or there was a change in management, but who knows. Anyway, I noticed some jars up on some shelves in the back and so I wheeled over there while my buddy looked around. I turned through the jars one by one and was veeery happy about the prices. I quickly set a few aside that I might want, and eventually picked the two that I could afford, an incredibly whittled half gallon Gem and a very early light apple green Perfect Seal (camera white balance was set to auto, looks much greener than this). When I went to pay, the lady at the counter informed me that the jars were fifty percent off! She told me that the vendor lives very far away but wants to sell his stuff in a hurry - maybe the place is closing down. I was very pleased to spend only one dollar more than I originally would have for two more additional jars, an EGCo Imperial quart and a nice little Crown pint.

So, it was a pretty good weekend for finding some belated birthday gifts for myself, haha, but actually better for having a great time with old friends and getting out of the house! :headbang:

DSCF6701.JPG DSCF6697.JPG DSCF6694.JPG DSCF6695.JPG
DSCF6687.JPG DSCF6689.JPG DSCF6688.JPG DSCF6698.JPG

Last edited:

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
Nice score on the jars. They all look like they just came out of the basement.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I thought it was a fun progression - first I payed near actual value, then I made a trade and cut a deal, and last I lucked out and got a steal! It's definitely enough to keep me satisfied until I can dig again.

Yeah, all of these are still really dirty, lots of dust and other peoples' fingerprints, boogers from the tape and stickers, etc. I was excited to share though! I can't wait to have both hands working so that I can clean them.

'Also should mention that I replaced a few lids and bands that I thought looked/matched better. Finally I have some jars that go to all the lids that I dig up!

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That gem jar is great. Wicked whittling. I take it you like jars. Are they your favorite?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's suuuper whittled, looks even better held up to the light!

I do like jars! I like everything really, so I couldn't pick a favourite, but usually I don't buy bottles because I can dig them up, whereas with jars I rarely find any good ones intact.

I think I have around fifty jars so far...

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's suuuper whittled, looks even better held up to the light!

I do like jars! I like everything really, so I couldn't pick a favourite, but usually I don't buy bottles because I can dig them up, whereas with jars I rarely find any good ones intact.

I think I have around fifty jars so far...

Wow! I have only one jar I dug that I display. It's probably not worth a lot but it's one of my favorite glass pieces. It's my 1895-1896 ball jar which I think I posted last year. Also quite whittled.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Niiice I just creeped your profile to see what you meant haha, and that is a great jar! Heck, I'd be so darn happy to dig something like that. Not too long ago I bought a similar, slightly earlier jar (1886-1888) that lacks the "Ball" script but is also made by Ball. I've heard that there's a great big community of die-hard Ball jar collectors. I wonder if there are any other groups out there that are as passionate about a specific jar maker...

DSCF5801c.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread