Thisll Keep Me Busy...

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
This'll Keep Me Busy...

Hello Folks.....

I haven't posted here for some time but recently I recieved permission from my Alma Mater to detect the school grounds. The school was built in 1888 as per the wishes of Isaiah Vansant Williamson III. Isaiah was a Phila. merchant who amassed appr. $4 million dollars during his career. He was a friend of John Wanamaker and also of Steven Girard. Isaiah modeled his school after Girards school. It was originally chartered to accept only male orphans so they could learn a trade and support their families. To my knowledge, it has not been detected. I will make my first visit to the site tommorrow aft.and I will keep ya posted. I'm using a White's Prizm IV. Any advice on settings?

HH,

root

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: This'll Keep Me Busy...

That will take a while Good Luck. aa

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

root, you say: "To my knowledge, it has not been detected". Maybe you've even been told that by the site managers, right? I can assure you, that unless no metal detectors have ever been in that part of the USA, and unless it's some secret to the history books, that it's probably already been hit.

As a past-president of a club, meeting many newbies, I can't tell you how many times I've been greeted by the "sure-fire-clue" tip, which is only a place that XX number of folks have tried. Even if the owner or manager has never seen someone, perhaps he just doesn't know, (other siblings or renters granted permission 20 yrs ago,etc...or it was simply done on-the-sly) it's been hit.

I hope I'm wrong and you've got a virgin school site!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

was this school at one time..a military school..as my grandads brother attended one..and I have his graduation certificate..and it was also for Girard school or college...cantremember less Ipull out the paper to see..but they said I hadto pay 50 bucks to get any info on it... good luck there.

OP
OP
R

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.

bootybay said:
was this school at one time..a military school..as my grandads brother attended one..and I have his graduation certificate..and it was also for Girard school or college...cantremember less Ipull out the paper to see..but they said I hadto pay 50 bucks to get any info on it... good luck there.

BootyBay....

This is not and never was a military school. It is ranked as the #1 trade school in the nation. They teach 5 trades inc. painting and decorating, masonry, carpentry, machine shop and power plant technology. Of course there is much to learn after graduation....:-) Mr Williamson left a couple of million in trust in 1890 which still helps with operating costs but it depends on donations from alumni and industry to stay afloat. The total enrollment(3 year school) is only appr. 200. The property is 250 acres so even if it has been hunted, it probably isn't hunted out by any means.

HH,

root

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread