Those crusty worn coppers arent always just slugs!

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those crusty worn coppers aren't always just slugs! (King George II)

Hello all my fellow treasure hunters!

I had written a long-winded post already on my iPod, but as I was almost done, Safari crashed for no reason and I lost the whole thing. So right now I'll keep it short and sweet and elaborate tomorrow.

Last month Bob and I went to a site of multiple cellar holes in the middle of the woods, and it was our first time being there. We had a limited time (one hour) so we only it one spot. I was on a slope when I got a nickel/pulltab signal, and as I plunged my shovel into the dirt, I saw a disk sitting right on top of the ground. Dumbfounded, I took out my camera and snapped a picture of it. Then I took it out and found Bob to show it to him. We stayed for 15 more minutes then we had to leave.

Fast forward to today: I was walking to the kitchen to fetch some water, and I had to go through the dining room to get to it. As I was walking I noticed this coin, sitting in an unsealed coin holder I had placed it in on the counter. I had a feeling that there was something under all that crud. So I gathered some supplies and in a mini glass bowl I mixed together Vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide, CLR, and some dish soap, and proceeded to heat it up in the microwave for 20 seconds, then dropped it in. 20 or 30 minutes later, I remembered it and went to check on it. When I took it out the crud started wiping off. I repeated this process several times, a couple times on each side, and after I took it out, I would wipe it down with a wet paper towel, then a dry one, rinse it off, then dry it again, then put it back in the freshly heated mixture. In the last couple cycles I replaced the paper towels with cotton swabs for to be more delicate. As you can see, this worked very well and it went from being a crusty circle, to being a colonial copper, almost enough detail to completely identify it! It is either a King George II or a Connecticut Copper, but I can't tell. There is what I believe might be the C of Connec to at about 1-2 o' clock. If it /is/ a Connecticut Copper, then it's my first! If it is a KGII, then it is my second, my first being a cut 17(3)9 I found last December.

Thanks for reading, I'll tell the whole story tomorrow!

-Anthony

Attachments

• ConnGeorge.jpg
    ConnGeorge.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 100
  • ConnGeorgeI.jpg
    ConnGeorgeI.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 114
  • ConnGeorgeII.jpg
    ConnGeorgeII.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 112
  • ConnGeorgeIII.jpg
    ConnGeorgeIII.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a George II - young head, Circa. 1729-1739.

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cleaning job and thanks for mentioning how you went about it.

Good luck with that site.

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find!! Great job cleaning that up!! I may have to try that method too!!

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, I would not recommend it unless the coin it totally toasted. And thanks! It was a lot of work!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very cool rescue of a coin, and like said before thank you for telling the process in which you cleaned it up! ..............HH

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Process looks like it worked pretty good. Congrats...........Hogge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread