DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont ask permission to hunt a park, is it because its not used much or because its not bothering anyone? Because apparently this place where baseball fields are by my house use to be housing in the early 1900s and theres this patch of land by the creek near the baseball fields that relle isnt in the way of anyhting and i want to hunt it, but i dont feel like going through the trouble of asking permission.

Upvote 0

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Do you ask for permission to do anything else in a public park? Like play with a Frisbee or picnic on the grass? Play catch with your son or nephew? No? Then why would you feel that you have to ask permission to detect?

If there are no signs posted stating that it is NOT permitted then, it must be permitted. You can find the local ordinances associated with your county or city and read what is permitted and what is not permitted. If Metal Detecting is not mentioned, then it must be permitted.

I have to agree with HP and Tom. Asking will only open a can of worms. There have been several debates on this already and I do not plan on getting into a debate over this. Just stating how I feel about asking. In my area, the county parks are open for MDing. I have had a few run ins with know it alls, but have not had any problems otherwise. The know it alls will tell you it is not permitted but can not back it up with any facts. The police have no problem with MDing the local parks here ( yes, I have had them called on me). While speaking to a county parks employee, I related my run in with the sheriff and he told me that the person who probably called was an older gentleman who lives next to the soccor field (where I was MDing) and this older gentleman was golfing on the field. Golfing is not permitted and there are signs posted stating as much. He was asked to leave the field and is evidentally ticked off about it. At the time, I did not know who called the police, but now I have a good idea who it was and why.

Happy Hunting

Ray S

dtwilson3

Jul 11, 2008
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher 1212, Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
I agree with Tom_in_CA and hollowpointred. I have never asked permission to hunt a park and have never had a problem.

dt

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, you guys are right. One of these days im gonna look at the signs and make sur eno rules against it, and then i'll prolly go during the weekend

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the sign don't say no, I would go.

Sometimes it is best to play dumb on things...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
seagullplayer said:
If the sign don't say no, I would go.

Sometimes it is best to play dumb on things...

not in all cases, but in this one i agree. no sign, have fun! :wink:

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
The only problem I have had in city/town parks are the kids they always want what I dig and if you flip one a penny 30 more show up. I was in a county park and the kid cleaning the restroom spotted me and started talking on his radio while watching me. I waved at him and he left no problem.
Go for it... :thumbsup: best times I have found 1 hour before sun down 2 or 3 hours after sun up and now during school hours.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never had a problem hunting parks. Even with the ground crew out mowing. I stay out of their way and it's fine. Fill your holes and make it invisible is the best advice.

In my gear box I also have a plastic hi-viz yellow safety vest if I'm along a curb with street traffic.

Also a hard hat that I'll wear around utility areas (under the power lines) so I look like I belong. Never a problem there either.

Along street curbs my long pinpointer looks a bit like a 2-way radio so I've had some "looks" but no issues. Lucky so far.

I have written to my home town and three others in Colorado about detecting on city property. My town sent a letter saying no problem. One other town pretty much threatened me and the other two never responded at all. So I guess they are OK with it!

One recent trip was along the NM/Mexico border. The border guards were more interested in what I was finding than creating any problems. But if the town is small, and the sheriff's office is nearby I might poke my head in just in case some locals wonder what's up and call the police. Just a courtesy call.

And I carry a few biz size cards with my personal info, picture and club(s) affiliations. HH

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I only know of one city that actually has a "policy" about detecting in parks. Most do not have anything on the books.
Now, I happen to be an elected city commissioner in my town, and a former mayor.
I ask one question: "who owns the park?" The answer is "you do".
If there is no ordinance on the books, and you leave no trace of what you are doing, you should be not only legal, but welcomed.

If all else fails when questioned just seem completely confident, but not arrogant. In my experience those individuals with a bit of a "power craze" that are found so often in the public sector, just can't quite handle that. They usually leave and pick an easier target.

HH!

midmich

May 21, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer
In my county there are rules posted in parks. I read them once & at the bottom it actually said that metal detecting was not permitted without written permission. I called the County Park's office & talked to the person in charge and at that point he said I could. He said to email him and he would respond. A week later I got another email from him & he said he had to retract his permission at one particular park, but I could continue at the others. They were concerned about "relics" at this particular park.
I always ask first because the last thing I want to do is ruin my past time by looking over my back all the time even if no one cares. I have called (3) different cities in my area and all of them said they have no rules on the books regarding metal detecting and simply said not to leave holes or a mess.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
midmich, I never "look over my shoulder" when I'm detecting :icon_scratch:

As for your 3 out of 3 success at inquiring about if there are rules about detecting, I commend you on one point: You are asking them "are there rules" rather than "can I detect?". The former puts them in a position of having to cite a specific code, (which there isn't 99.99% of the time in city parks/schools), whereas the latter puts them in a position of saying "no you can't" just because they felt like it.

But still though, even asking "is there any rules", can still back-fire: I've heard of persons getting a "no there's nothing about detecting per se, but we STILL don't want anyone digging in the park". Yes, even if you didn't mention "digging", you can still get someone to interpret your asking "is there rules" as being some sort of asking permission. And if you fight them and say "but where is that WRITTEN?", they can certainly address your pressing issue by making a rule! (this has actually happened!) So you have to be real careful how you word it. This is why I prefer to think of myself as no different than any other park user. Just like picking your nose: be discreet, keep a low profile, and odds are, no one cares (till you ask)

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
Here in Spokane it used to cost $5.00 for a permit
which was good for all parks and schools.Some parks
date back to early 1900,s. Jimbob

T

The.Boomer

Bobby I hope you've hunted this park by now. This is the second post I've seen you putting up asking about this place. If your too scared I'll hunt it. Otherwise just SYM and go hunt it and have some fun. Stop swetting the small stuff. The worst that can happen is you'll get told to leave. HH now post us some pics of your finds.
:wink:

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actuallly the other post you saw was about a different park....i went to the one i was talking about in this post and it seems promising. The other one isnt worth it

T

The.Boomer

Cool, just detect and have fun dude, no ones arresting us for trespassing. :wink:

purespeed

Greenie
Feb 4, 2009
Bobby S said:
If you dont ask permission to hunt a park, is it because its not used much or because its not bothering anyone? Because apparently this place where baseball fields are by my house use to be housing in the early 1900s and theres this patch of land by the creek near the baseball fields that relle isnt in the way of anyhting and i want to hunt it, but i dont feel like going through the trouble of asking permission.
Ya got to remember if you ask permission for that park, they say NO you are done. Because then they catch you there it fills the criminal trespass reg. You were already told NO. Anywho, I really won one a few months ago.
I am so sneaky. I use an ExploII and a Prizm sometimes. Had this park I heard a new female director was gonna stop detecting. Long ago I learned to seal my plug, so well that if I turn around ,take two steps and turn again I can't find that hole. Me I can't. Its a rule with me. Also I carry a handfull of old nails, shards of aluminum, a few crushed ugly shringes in part of my bag. Carry this stuff for years. So I got my Prizm set deep. I dig this plug about 7" get this memorial. Reseal the plug, punch some grass into it etc. Stand up turn around, TWO COPS AND SOME women are coming right at me. I slid my thumb to the sensitivity and pushed it down to 0 ...gives you maybe 2". This cop says you are not allowed to detect here. I said oh sorry sir, I checked the laws and didn't see that one. The women says IAM THE LAW HERE..and you will not be digging holes here. I said oh mam, I know what you mean I'll help you stop those deep hole diggers if you want. She says what? I said oh i just have cheap detector that hunts in the grass, about 1". I said I hate hole diggers, they ruin it for us surface searchers, however I just found all this junk here today I pick it up and throw it out. I pull out the nails and shringes. The cop says I told you the heroin users are back here. The lady says you found that big nail here? I said yea, but look and I hold a penny under my detector and show it only hears things 1" I'm like sir yes and mam that, I start telling them about these idiot deep hole diggers that a park director kicked us all out. I said I don't have money for those deep hole diggers I just search the grass. Pretty soon she is asking me about if I seen any deep hole guys. I said yes, last week I got into big argument with a guy and followed him around patching up his holes. The cop asks me how I do with the surface, I show him my gold rings and say I have never found one of these deeper than the grass. So now I am a buddy with the park lady, she said well its ok, just in the grass. The cops leave I walk with the lady, beep I get a signal, right in the grass..as were walking, I part the grass its a heavy set of keys...fairly new. The lady says I'll be damned I got a lost and found for these! I don't know if they were the right keys, I said my goodbyes...and she waves to me once in awhile. But I know her work hours and days off, the ExploII comes in on her off days. I'm rotten huh! :icon_jokercolor:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
purespeed said:
Bobby S said:
Ya got to remember if you ask permission for that park, they say NO you are done. Because then they catch you there it fills the criminal trespass reg. You were already told NO. Anywho, I really won one a few months ago.
I am so sneaky. I use an ExploII and a Prizm sometimes. Had this park I heard a new female director was gonna stop detecting. Long ago I learned to seal my plug, so well that if I turn around ,take two steps and turn again I can't find that hole. Me I can't. Its a rule with me. Also I carry a handfull of old nails, shards of aluminum, a few crushed ugly shringes in part of my bag. Carry this stuff for years. So I got my Prizm set deep. I dig this plug about 7" get this memorial. Reseal the plug, punch some grass into it etc. Stand up turn around, TWO COPS AND SOME women are coming right at me. I slid my thumb to the sensitivity and pushed it down to 0 ...gives you maybe 2". This cop says you are not allowed to detect here. I said oh sorry sir, I checked the laws and didn't see that one. The women says IAM THE LAW HERE..and you will not be digging holes here. I said oh mam, I know what you mean I'll help you stop those deep hole diggers if you want. She says what? I said oh i just have cheap detector that hunts in the grass, about 1". I said I hate hole diggers, they ruin it for us surface searchers, however I just found all this junk here today I pick it up and throw it out. I pull out the nails and shringes. The cop says I told you the heroin users are back here. The lady says you found that big nail here? I said yea, but look and I hold a penny under my detector and show it only hears things 1" I'm like sir yes and mam that, I start telling them about these idiot deep hole diggers that a park director kicked us all out. I said I don't have money for those deep hole diggers I just search the grass. Pretty soon she is asking me about if I seen any deep hole guys. I said yes, last week I got into big argument with a guy and followed him around patching up his holes. The cop asks me how I do with the surface, I show him my gold rings and say I have never found one of these deeper than the grass. So now I am a buddy with the park lady, she said well its ok, just in the grass. The cops leave I walk with the lady, beep I get a signal, right in the grass..as were walking, I part the grass its a heavy set of keys...fairly new. The lady says I'll be damned I got a lost and found for these! I don't know if they were the right keys, I said my goodbyes...and she waves to me once in awhile. But I know her work hours and days off, the ExploII comes in on her off days. I'm rotten huh! :icon_jokercolor:
You are rotten gold! I love you man!
I became friends with the playground inspector for the parks here when he was investigating some damage and painting on one playground. Showed him half a dozen small bulbs I'd found, half were broken and I had some glasss from the broken ones too.

He took a couple pics of me with the broken bulbs and said I'd never have trouble detecting the parks. Aslo gave a lot of good items to the local historical society through another big parks guy, former cop who told me to drop his name in case of any trouble.

Now I'm on the e-mail list of some park guys and some cops. Good place to be when they're planning or doing some excavating or other work.

purespeed

Greenie
Feb 4, 2009
Lowbatts said:
purespeed said:
Bobby S said:
You are rotten gold! I love you man!
I became friends with the playground inspector for the parks here when he was investigating some damage and painting on one playground. Showed him half a dozen small bulbs I'd found, half were broken and I had some glasss from the broken ones too.

He took a couple pics of me with the broken bulbs and said I'd never have trouble detecting the parks. Aslo gave a lot of good items to the local historical society through another big parks guy, former cop who told me to drop his name in case of any trouble.

Now I'm on the e-mail list of some park guys and some cops. Good place to be when they're planning or doing some excavating or other work.

Were cut from the same piece of paper! :icon_pirat: Great deal. I do like my old shringes, their rusty and 4 years old, but I am helping save the children, from poky needles. ;D Hey maybe you could get on a list for the local P.D. in case they need to locate a piece of evidence or a bullet fired in the ground and stuff. Public service is upper most on my mind when I get that deep signal for silver and sink my digger down 9". These people want to play games with my detecting, ok I'm up lets play games. :icon_pirat:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
City councilman asked me once what was my best find, told him the same thing I've told others.

Under the sand at the bottom of the slide in a local park, got an open switchblade knife with blade pointed up and very rusty. It was down about 4 inches, but the answer worked it's magic.

Hit 'em where it hurts. Tell them you're their best bet in reducing liabilities.

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008
Lowbatts said:
City councilman asked me once what was my best find, told him the same thing I've told others.

Under the sand at the bottom of the slide in a local park, got an open switchblade knife with blade pointed up and very rusty. It was down about 4 inches, but the answer worked it's magic.

Hit 'em where it hurts. Tell them you're their best bet in reducing liabilities.

What a great answer, I will remember that one! Parks are public property not private property. Asking permission is just asking for a no from some bureaucrat who wouldn't even think about it otherwise. Regardless of where I detect I act confident because I am and I act like I belong because I do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread