thought I was skunked

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Went to one bank and the teller said she had nine rolls but that I would not find any silver as someone had written the dates of the coins on them.
I was tempted to tell her to keep them,but bought them anyway.
Well they were indeed marked ie.72-74 etc.,however one roll was marked 68-71 and it had 15 40%.

At another bank I picked up two rolls that were marked with an "X". Found one 40%.

You never know.

Upvote 0

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
that's why ya buy 'em all. ya gotta check 'cause ya just never know! see LJ's post about finding one roll at a bank. it paid off big time.

congrats on your find and good luck in the future.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I know many here have had good luck with handrolls. But where I live they are not good. I have only had one or two decent scores with them, and they were nothing like what some of you find. Most banks here have coin counters, so any hand rolls that come in wind up in the machine. The banks without coin counters require rolls, and most of those banks "verify" by taking the coins out to count them, thus a chance that they will pilfer out the silver exists. I have had some tellers say "we already took out the silver" when I have asked for hand rolls. I would buy them anyway just to see and the tellers had in fact removed all of it.

Jim

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Hello all,
Happy Thanksgiving. As most people on here say BUY THEM ALL. It is a no loss sutiation(well unless the roll is short). If you buy a roll for $10 and it is all clad, oh well it is still worth $10. If you buy a roll and it has 20 silver halves in it Bingo!!!
I had a teller tell me once when I asked for halves that she got all the silver becuase her father is a huge collector. But i took the two rolls anyways, apparently he is only a huge collector of 90%'ers becuase there was 9 40%'ers in the rolls... the point of the story is buy everything you can get.
Happy Hunting,
Jason

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Shake-N-Bake said:
Hello all,
Happy Thanksgiving. As most people on here say BUY THEM ALL. It is a no loss sutiation(well unless the roll is short). If you buy a roll for $10 and it is all clad, oh well it is still worth $10. If you buy a roll and it has 20 silver halves in it Bingo!!!
I had a teller tell me once when I asked for halves that she got all the silver becuase her father is a huge collector. But i took the two rolls anyways, apparently he is only a huge collector of 90%'ers becuase there was 9 40%'ers in the rolls... the point of the story is buy everything you can get.
Happy Hunting,
Jason

Depending on the situation, it could actually result in a loss. If you are already at a bank or it is on the way to where you are going, then there is no loss in buying all the halves you can get.

However, as happens to some CRHers, you can get so addicted to this hobby that you find yourself driving all over your town, and perhaps neighboring towns looking for every half dollar they have. If that happens and you don't score enough silver to cover your time spent, fuel costs, etc, then you actually can have a net loss, even though it may be difficult to quantify in monetary terms.

Jim

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL - glad you got them anyways!!! :tongue3:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Yea - I've heard the don't bother line a few times. Last week a teller asked me if I was searching for silver and I said yes. She said she was 99.9% sure there was none. She said they had $530 inside a timed vault and it would take an hour or so to open. I didn't return that day but a week later I had a teller from another branch call that same teller and direct her to start the vault timer as I was heading over. When I arrived I approached another teller and asked her for the halves. I could see the other teller who told me not to bother was pissed off that I was taking them. I had a chuckle at that as the teller that was helping me was extra pleasant about the whole thing rounding up every last half dollar in the bank from all the trays. Later I found a few in those so called 99.9% empty rolls. I was glad to not have to wonder if I had passed up a good strike and all it cost was half an hour. I grabbed another roll from the bank next door and pulled six 40% out of that single roll! :icon_sunny:

Maine_Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
Depending on the situation, it could actually result in a loss. If you are already at a bank or it is on the way to where you are going, then there is no loss in buying all the halves you can get.

However, as happens to some CRHers, you can get so addicted to this hobby that you find yourself driving all over your town, and perhaps neighboring towns looking for every half dollar they have. If that happens and you don't score enough silver to cover your time spent, fuel costs, etc, then you actually can have a net loss, even though it may be difficult to quantify in monetary terms.

Jim

True, but that's why its called a hobby and not a business. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread