NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd change things up and go for fresh drops...didnt turn out that way

had plans to hunt sunset sunday night low and Monday sunrise low - saltwater and then Tuesday sunrise -fresh water
well they asked me to work my day off sunday night - so that blew the 2 saltwater lows - so had to decide on tues. morn
2 hr ride to saltwater spot I had not hit in a year or fresh water spot 10 mins. away
decided on the saltwater spot - got up at sunrise and headed down to Ct. bch - had a bunch of hot days lately and thought I'd try and get some fresh drop golds
I used to hit there back in 2000-2004 and got a lot of old gold and silver out of there - it was a spot many said was cleaned out but I went in with a PI and was pulling stuff
down close to 2 feet others had missed - lot of others hit there now a days - handful of locals pepper it - sand has been brought in after storms and older finds were down like 3-4 over the yrs but
mother nature been moving things around - at least in a 5 yard by 20 yard spot I got into
So I arrive 2 hrs before low tide - suit up and jump in - didn't take long that I could see old scoop marks from either Monday or sunday - not a lot of movement when winds are down and this is a deep water bch - meaning when you step in you are in knee deep water at low and at high you are chest deep and with each step you end up about a foot deeper - shallow hunters don't have much area to cover - more made for my type of hunting - mask and snorkel .
After about and hour - I had like 2 pennies a nickel and a few bottle caps - (this is one of those spots that most of us take all the trash out - like I said I hit here a year ago and you can see all the trash I found and this beach can see up to 1000 people on a good day= we try and take it all out.) Then I hit a small spot that I found a coin spill - probably from day before - couple quarters, couple dimes, couple nickles, couple pennies.
At least I found something - worked towards the other direction - close to exact low. I started to see a few old red bricks on the bottom - without a mask - others would not. This is where experience kicks in =
this bricks were from late 1800s early 1900s - they have metal in them and go off like small old gold or deep silver. Seeing them tells me that someone with a PI had pulled them up from down deep. I had pulled out and dispose of as many as I could over the years - had found many silver coins and a few old gold under or with them too. I got a faint signal and scooped down twice and came up with a buffalo nickel (turned out to be a 1916). I was surprised - walked about 5 feet a got another faint signal - 2 scoops later = another buffalo (1917)- wow - got to slow it down and crank the sensitivity up - about 10 feet away - nother faint signal - bam - another buffalo...what the??? - got a few pieces of deep junk and because I was hunting in all metal - I started to pull red bricks up from 1 foot down +
mostly halfs and smaller pieces - but they all sound good. I was hitting a lot of rocks -now over the last few yrs you'd have to dig down over 2 feet to hit rocks - I was hitting them about a foot down and the buffalos were underneath them - I was not getting anything new - everything is deep in this area - was hoping to see some old yeller in my scoop - will cut to the chase on that - I didn't - but silver was a different story - I finally pulled a deep merc - a little while later another buffalo - then another deep merc - I noticed a person farther down with what looked like a Whites ID and then another with an Excal - I think they were 2 of the locals - Id seen them in the past - I don't think the ID would be able to reach these targets and if the Excal were to turn up discrim. to miss the red bricks - they too would not get them either (put it this way - they as well as a handful of others live in town and they missed what I got today) - got another faint reading - dug down and came up with an old silver camp fire girl ring - then another merc. Tide was pushing me in - I was now chin deep - where 2 hrs ago I would have been waist deep - I got a whisper of a signal - fanned down about a foot and rechecked - signal now louder - could be a deep ring - scoop down - still in hole - scoop down - still in hole - check and now blasting off - I think I got a large lead sinker - stick scoop in and get a bunch of potatoe size rocks - check hole and I got it in scoop - figure Im gonna see grey lead matter in with the rocks - instead I see see large grey disc = Walking Liberty half
2thumb.gif

Started to head out - winds were picking up and tide was driving me in shallower where swimmers had just started to arrive - got one more faint signal - thought I might get my old gold finally but turned out to be a silver washington quarter.
ended up with silver half- silver quarter - 4 Merc dimes - 5 Buffalo nickles (think that counts as a herd) and a silver ring
not what I had expected for the day - but I didn't get skunked and I left surprised and happy
I have found silver and or gold every water hunt this year - hope it continues
23rdjune.JPG 23keepers.JPG
the herd = 1916, 1917, 1920, 1936, one = no date
herd.JPG

Upvote 16

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summer of the walking liberties, ha, OBN grabbed one the other day too! Way to work it out, nice finds.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You find that many nickles, you know you didn't pass over any gold, and five Buffalo's is a killer hunt.he Walker isn't too shabby either.
Kudos!
Carl

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd call that a herd.
I wouldn't expect them to look like that from salt water, with that much time esp.
Congrats on the BIG Silver surprise.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in all metal - don't miss much:thumbsup:

You find that many nickles, you know you didn't pass over any gold, and five Buffalo's is a killer hunt.he Walker isn't too shabby either.
Kudos!
Carl

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's how 90% of them come out for me in saltwater - V nickels come out that way too
they usually will have a residue on them but one swipe of my glove and its gone - usually
a lot has to do with finding them in rocks - it keeps items from caking usually - look at my silver - usually they will be twice as thick with crust
these are just lightly crusty - half has most of its silver - were others I find - salt sucks it out and you end up with coins twice as thin

Yeah, I'd call that a herd.
I wouldn't expect them to look like that from salt water, with that much time esp.
Congrats on the BIG Silver surprise.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! When it rains it pours!
Love the buf nickels! Large silver is fantastic!
With your record you could charm anything out of the water! Congrats! Nice finds!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's how 90% of them come out for me in saltwater - V nickels come out that way too
they usually will have a residue on them but one swipe of my glove and its gone - usually
a lot has to do with finding them in rocks - it keeps items from caking usually - look at my silver - usually they will be twice as thick with crust
these are just lightly crusty - half has most of its silver - were others I find - salt sucks it out and you end up with coins twice as thin

Just so you know I don't have very much salt water experience, but did get some silvers from the sixtys that as you say had some very stubborn stuff on them. I only cleaned them to "experiment" as the coins themselves weren't worth the effort, but I do know how to do it now.

Funny as I'm surrounded with salt water, but ridiculous tides, and water too cold for any sane person, makes for few finds, as a rule.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so you know I don't have very much salt water experience, but did get some silvers from the sixtys that as you say had some very stubborn stuff on them. I only cleaned them to "experiment" as the coins themselves weren't worth the effort, but I do know how to do it now.

Funny as I'm surrounded with salt water, but ridiculous tides, and water too cold for any sane person, makes for few finds, as a rule.

Get some saltwater silver that comes out like an oreo cookie - some water hunters actually call them "cookie" coins
then some you just get a thin layer of sediment and they come out brownish or dark grey - depends on the soil - the worst coins
come out of mussel and clam beds - I have one old bch that gold comes out fine - but every other metal (except lead) comes out thin or super crusted but when you try and remove you end up with nothing left
I think its the clam excrement that destroys them

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lake hunters and all your "Swimming Liberty" half dollars wreck me! I gotta get out to my local lake.

Really nice finds...

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good hunt great story there Casper !! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT LAKES FOR ME - ATLANTIC OCEAN - Ive found a bout 50 silver halfs in the water (got 3 so far this year barber, walker and a benny)
- when I hunted land more when I was younger - I only had about a dozen - r
I think a lot of the ones we find up here in New Eng. on land were probably winter drops in the snow - cause I would think something that big and shiney
would be easy for some one to see in the green summer grass - where ones in the water - probably sink fast in the lake mud or the ocean sands as soon as person dropped them
You lake hunters and all your "Swimming Liberty" half dollars wreck me! I gotta get out to my local lake.

Really nice finds...

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard work pays off big time- nice job!!

-- Jeff --

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's great to find all that old coinage at a public beach area, freakin awesome!!

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bonus finds from yesterdays hunt ...another reason I like wearing a mask
- old bottles
and another reason I think some sand moved in spot I hunted yesterday
7 up bottle is from the 50s
other bottle is from early 1900s
both dug up while scooping for older targets - luckily I did not break them
got a dozen old bottles over the yrs water hunting
I had to tuck them in my wet suit - which was awkward - but I managed

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. Congrats on all of the silver and the herd! Good show!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread