✅ SOLVED Thought It Was a Buckshot Mold...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this a couple of weeks ago. I thought for sure it was a buckshot (ball) mold when I pulled it out of the ground. But as I cleaned it, the more rust that came off the more it didn't look like a ball mold. If it is a mold, it is missing the cavity for the ball to be molded in. I was thinking needle nose pliers, but then the jaw part would be tapered. Any ideas? I still have to clean it some more. It's about 10mm thick.

I did recover a buckshot mold about 1/2 mile from this site back in 2009. I took a picture of both side by side so you can see the comparisons. The site is very near a mid 1700's fur trade era site.

Thanks,
-Swartzie

Attachments

• 2014-04-07_163033.jpg
    2014-04-07_163033.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC01438.JPG
    DSC01438.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 99

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just my swag, it looks like the tool used for putting rings in a hogs nose.
ring1.JPG ring3.jpg
ring4.jpg Also used to clip fence wire together.

Upvote 0

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it makes a wire loop that holds the fence together.

Thanks for the replies folks! I have run across a lot of barbed wire fencing on this location. I have also dug a bunch of the staples that would be used on fencing. I'm going with duggap. Makes sense. This site has been a pain. It always has been whenever I hunt there. Oh well. The other side of the river is much better. More relaxing to hunt. I'm staying over yonder.

-Swartzie

Upvote 0

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
Unless you have really big hands, it looks to be only about 4 inches long. A little small to be any type of fence pliers I would think. Could be a small broken needle nose plier.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to add possibilities if it turns out flat and unbroken.Turner Kirkland (sp.?) when running Dixie gunworks found a source for a tool that at one time was used for straightening hair. He had them cut out with "cherry" type cutters to make bullet moulds of them. Neat finds there,happy hunting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread