Thought of a new place to Detect today, and it paid off!!!!!!!

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Prizm IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Hi, I went to what used to be a 6 or 7 stall car wash nearby. the car wash itself was torn down 4-5 years ago and I was driving by this the concrete lot where it used to be and I suddenly remembered that when the drains in the floor would become clogged with mud/dirt/etc. that they would clean out the drains that were in the bottom of each stall, and the owner would have the old guy that worked for him shovel everything into a wheel barrow and dump the mud and gunk onto this one spot and spread it out. Well, I also remembered in all the years that I used that car wash before it was torn down that many times when I was getting change out of my pocket to put in the coin thing on the wall and I would drop a quarter or two or some other piece of change in my pocket and because the floor of a car wash is usually sloped toward the long grate/dirt-trap thing in the middle guess where any change that was dropped would roll to!!! you guessed it!!!! anyway to make a long story short, I went there today and detected for about an hour or so and found a ton of 1970's-early 2000's era quarters,dimes,nickels, pennies, etc. and to top it all off these were all in an area about 4 feet long by 2-3 feet wide(about the size of ONE wheelbarrow dump!!!!). I actually stopped using my metal detector and just broke open the ground and used my pinpointer to find the coins!!! I only went down a couple of inches so I'm hoping that tomorrow if I go deeper I might find some silver??? or maybe at least some wheaties!!!! I would have found more, but it started raining and I had to quit. needless to say, I will be back tomorrow!!! I remember they used to clean those drains a couple of different times over the summer depending on how often they would get clogged up, and that car wash was operating for well over 25 years!!!!! needless to say I think there is a ton more change still to be found. what's really great about it is I am the only person allowed to metal detect there!!! it is all private property and seeing as how I live about a block from it and I keep an eye on things for the property owner, they let me detect it.
p.s. I also found this U.S. Grant coin it is a little bigger than a quarter any help on it would be great.

Attachments

• MVC-405F.JPG
    MVC-405F.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,695
  • MVC-409F.JPG
    MVC-409F.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,689
  • MVC-412F.JPG
    MVC-412F.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,697
  • MVC-411F.JPG
    MVC-411F.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,675
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Great Idea.

I always knew The Vacuums were profitable
but never thought about the drains.

Congrats & Good Luck !

Jeff

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Nice haul, not to mention the vacuum cleaners. I remember a car wash lot like you describe when I was a kid. The side lot is where they dumped the vacuums. After a rain we'd find all kinds of change just eyeballing. Then after a couple of weeks the Pot was growing like well.. weeds. That was the 70's. :thumbsup:

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
great haul!! :thumbsup:

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Unbelievable haul of coin you have there. WTG... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,493
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,493

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job, keep hittin that place hard!!! :icon_pirat:

sellig

Greenie
Aug 14, 2007
Hey Tommyboy,

Why are you not using a sieve for all the pile of sand?
You could make a guiness record of coin find!

Sellig

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ca cing, very nice :thumbsup:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thinking and congrats on the haul ! :thumbsup:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How fun to dig out all those coins! I have the James Polk president commemorative coin to go with the one you found.

OP
OP
tommyboy72

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Prizm IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
I want to thank everyone for the compliments and well wishes.

I am really really getting into this metal detecting stuff!!! Gonna hit the site again tomorrow and see what turns up, all I had today was my digging tool so I was basically just turning over the sparse sod(a little grass has grown over the dump area) and then I was just loosening the underlying soil and then "stirring it" with my pin-pointer. Don't get me wrong, plenty of foil gum wrappers and pop top tabs, etc. but overall not real hard to find the coins. I can't really make this a huge production with screens and stuff, even though I have permission to hunt it, I can't tear it all up. I will get it all 10-50 coins at a time, maybe more and maybe less. like I said it is only a block or so from my home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread