Thought you guys would find these interesting...

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be the wrong thread, but I did "hunt" and search for them ;D

So, before I started coin roll hunting I collected baseball cards, which I still do. Anyways, there is a subset in 2011 Topps Heritage (an homage to the 1962 Topps set) where 1962 coins are inserted into the cards. I have been able to attain the following three cards. Yes, those are 1962 coins inserted into coins. It is a pretty cool way to combine two of my hobbies.

The other Ernie Banks card is a 2003 Topps Gallery Hall of Fame Currency card with a 1958 Wheat Penny inserted.

img021-1.jpg

Upvote 0

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty cool! I used to collect baseball cards like mad in the late '80s early 90's. I sold off a lot of my collection a few months ago, mainly sets, but I kept a lot of decent singles/rookies. I haven't seen these cards, like you said it's like combining 2 hobbies. I might have to check out getting some packs of those to try to find some coins.

HH
bblair

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get the unopened packs? Might be able to weigh them to determine if a coin is in there and sell the unopened...

OP
OP
T

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
namster said:
Can you get the unopened packs? Might be able to weigh them to determine if a coin is in there and sell the unopened...

Yes, there are still unopened packs out there. However, the odds of pulling one is 1:288 packs. In most scenarios, the packs are in a sealed box and a card shop owner would not allow you to weigh the packs individually.

There are also cards that have 1962 Ben Franklin Half Dollars embedded inside.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat cards. :icon_thumleft:

Collecting baseball cards taught me an important lesson: The market for collectibles does not always go up, and things do not necessarily become even more valuable as they get older.

I started buying packs as a kid in the 1970's and became obssessed with the hobby at about age 11 in 1981. By the time I graduated high school in 1988 I had amassed a very respectible collection. It was then that I thought seriously about selling the whole thing. I was 18 and I desperately wanted a new vehicle. I lugged the entire collection down to the card shop that paid the best prices and was offered about $20,000 (I thought that was a low offer), which would have more than bought the new truck that I wanted. But, I decided to just hold onto the collection, which was very difficult for an 18 year old who had just been offered more money than he had ever seen at one time. My thought at the time was if I can get $20,000 now, just imagine the "retirement boost" I will be able to get when I'm 55-60 years old for these cards. Needless to say, the market crashed. I'm not sure that my entire collection would bring $2000 today.

Hopefully I learned the lesson and will get out of the silver market if/when the "right time" comes. Even though technically I don't see silver as a "collectible", I do now know from experience that values do not necessarily go up over time.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow Arkie, I didn't realize the baseball card market had nose dived that badly?

I've got a few decent ones I found in my grandmas attic from my moms collection (she said if I found them when I was a kid I could have them :-) )
53 Mantle
53 Jack Robinson
bunch of random yankees some good ones like Yogi Berra
etc etc.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find these in the packs or buy individually? Nice cards and coins. :hello2:

OP
OP
T

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, many of the cards printed in the 1980s and 1990s were massively overproduced. Think of it in terms of pennies. Older pennies had smaller print runs. Pennies in the 1970s and 1980s had print runs in the billions. Older baseball cards from before the mid 1970s still have value if you have key players. Cards from the 1980s and early 1990s essentially have no value because there are seemingly billions of them. Alot of people bought warehouses full of cards thinking they could retire on their investment.

Baseball cards have made a pretty big return since then. In the late 1990s, Upper Deck started making game used and autographed cards. From there, the hobby was reborn and newer cards gained value.

Example of an autographed card:

img139.jpg

Example of an autographed card with game used pieces:

img018.jpg

Example of a game used patch card:

img081.jpg

And I pulled the Ernie Banks and Jamie Moyer cards. I bought the Gallery Ernie Banks and the Dime card.

OP
OP
T

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed said:
wow Arkie, I didn't realize the baseball card market had nose dived that badly?

I've got a few decent ones I found in my grandmas attic from my moms collection (she said if I found them when I was a kid I could have them :-) )
53 Mantle
53 Jack Robinson
bunch of random yankees some good ones like Yogi Berra
etc etc.

Depending on the condition of the cards, the 53 Mantle and Robinson could fetch some pretty good money. I am assuming Topps, and if so...

Here is a Robinson that is in decent condition, but not too great of condition. It sold for $97

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...RkeWCRY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1287

Here is a Mantle in mediocre condition that sold for $340

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...RkeWCRY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_548wt_1037

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I have seen baseball cards that were coins and I have a few but not these. Pretty cool.

Golden Silver

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a box today, nothing, zilch, nada. One little sticker. I did run my metal detector over the box before I opened it so I new there were no coin cards in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread