Thoughts about a very unusual XMAS GIFT

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 13-grankids, and am still working on their Lincoln cent 3-folder collections. But in the meantime I had just thought of an idea I saw on TV, "Coin Vault", of type set coins of coins no longer found in general circulation. I'm thinking of modifying that idea of making up a set for each of the G-kids to contain, not the very best specimens, but only general circulation, of: (1-each) IH, V-nic, Buff nic, Barber dime(?), Merc dime, Barber qtr(?), and SLQ qtr.
I consider these coins as 1-generation removed and a rarity to ever find. This way they could see and hold in their hands coins that I use to get in circulation when I was a kid back in the 1940+'s.
Do you guys think that this is a Cheap gift idea or what.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a pretty cool idea. Plus it will spur the true collectors among your grandkids to pursue the hobby with more vigor. Even the ones who don't collect will great keepsakes to remind them of you.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin Vault is fun to watch. I think all of us are going to say it's a great idea because frankly it is. Presentation is important also. If you have them in something that says "Merry Christmas! -from Grandpa Dozer (2019)" it will also add a great deal of sentimental value which is far greater than intrinsic value.

Although for a truly unbiased response, you should try to find some people your grandkids' age and ask them if they think it'd be cool if their grandpa did that for them.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you kidding? Cheap gift? Your idea would be a terrific gift. Special. Something kept, valued, and passed on to their kids or grandkids.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea. I bet if you don't already have these coins in you own inventory, your local coin dealer would be happy (?) to sell you these coins at a discount because they're likely just taking up space in inventory.

Furthermore, you never know if any / some of those 13 grandkids will get the collecting bug and become future customers of said dealer.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gift idea ! Along with them you might include some info. on U.S. type coins . So many of the younger people today , have no idea that we used to have gold and silver coins - and that our currency was fully backed by same ! Or that the one cent coin has been mostly zinc since 1982 - other facts to accompany your type coin sets.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
K, so I have to go against the norm here. Consider your audience, of course all of us think it would be a great gift. We actively waste time sorting through copious amounts of coins hoping to find what you're giving away :-p. I think what you have to ask is: what will your grandkids think though? Are they old enough to appreciate it? Do they even care? Do any have any interest in this at all?

Case in point:
When I was young, my grandmother would give all us grandkids those plastic encased "coins of america" or whatever for christmas. It got to be kinda a little joke among us grandkids, you saw the small thin rectangular package and knew it was "reader's digest coins". I loved them, thought it was cool to get the coin from the 1800's. 99% sure I was the only grand child she had that really appreciated getting them though. I'm a bit of a black sheep in the family, every other one my age was a LOT more outdoorsy and sporty than me. None of them really cared about history, doubt they really do now, with 1 possible exception. Wouldn't be surprised if the others gave them away or opened them up for the coins to spend or whatever. I could probably message them and ask and they'd have 0 idea where they were. Maybe a few of the parents intervened and have them stashed somewhere, but...

That gift may be something to give to the parents, ask that they present them to the kids when the time is right maybe. I was going through my "collection" when I first started doing this, and my mom brought up a little box she had, in which she had a few coins her grandparents had given her when she was young. She added those to my collection, and I had a MUCH greater appreciation for it than I would have had when I was young. Put them in a flip, she labelled them, was a nice moment for us to have, and a way to connect to someone I wasn't fortunate enough to really have met/remember.

Of course, I don't know your grandkids, but thinking this is more a case-by-case sorta situation. If you have some you feel will appreciate it now, definitely a neat idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread