Thoughts on an old circular foundation?

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of an old foundation site in central MA near where I grew up that was shaped like an inverse donut. The center circle was about 10 feet in diameter and solid earth, then there was the inner ring of the circular stone foundation (inner ring of the donut), while the outer ring of the stone foundation was probably about 26 feet in diameter (outer ring ouf the donut). So basically the foundation was a dpressed circular stone ring about 8 feet in width and maybe 5 feet in depth. Sort of like a moat around the circle of earth in the middle.

Anyone have any ideas what this may have been?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Could be part of some old animal powered mill....or a kiln oven ...

I dont know why a silo would have a inner circle.....

Attachments

• old beehive oven for brick making.jpg
    old beehive oven for brick making.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 616

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horse/oxen powered mill? (Team hitched to bar, bar attached to thing in middle of inner circle, pushed the bar, turned millstone to grind flour, etc) or to power some other machinery. wild guess :)
Lara

S

stefen

Based on the description, some old time silo's (crib) had a raised inner circle so as the silage decomposed, the liquids would drain outward. Today's more modern silos have a similar foundation profile in that they drain outward.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
How old is that foundation do you think? Have any research on the date the place was established. The reason I ask is because the first silo built in the US was in Michigan in 1875....
I am still leaning toward some time of mill....

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
L and R pad.

Launch and Recovery.

Ancient ACS.

Early alian coordinated site.

Just something to think about ;)

have a good un................

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
L and R pad.

Launch and Recovery.

Ancient ACS.

Early alian coordinated site.

Just something to think about ;)

have a good un................

hmmmmm you are right....sacrificial altar....witch burning pit ....hmmmmm

S

stefen

Wonder if there are any crop circles in the vicinity...would explain the lunar landing pad theory.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Well, there's a circular foundation near where I live. It is in the middle of a park (all woods today) and it was the circus tent area of the park. It was later converted to an outdoor theater in the eary 1900's before the park closed down. Today it is 26 acres of woods. Perhaps yours was a circus ring from long ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread