Thoughts on where to burry a Cache; if You did it

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met up with Mi bum yesterday and he talked to woman in her late 60's about finding a buried cache that her grandfather buried supposedly containing confederate money and such on their family farm. So I am looking for some general Ideas as to where people might burry something such as this. Its my opinion that if it were me, I would want to see the spot from the house-Just for reassurance. Wanting your Opinions guys! We might be doing this in a couple weeks from now. Thanks--JR

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Junior
Maybe near the chicken coop,they let you know when anything is near them...good alarm...or a post hole bank .
Gary

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Gary or a area that is most visible from several windows in the home

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Under feed bins or troughs. Water source spots. Corn crib floor. (chickens already mentioned). Barn corners and house corners ,inside and out. Under steps or thresholds. Pipes,beams,hollow walls.
Under outhouse seat off to one side or any corner, in or out.(When house is much wider than the hole it allows a false wall on one or both sides,or just dirt.) Dirt floored workshop was where a friends gramp kept a shotgun hid, as well as under house floor between joists. Smoke house or refrigerator used for a smoker or worm bed( outside underneath) Stumps, trees, or monuments. Fence stones,steppin stones,wood piles. Partially buried bath tub, ect.
Where ever a cache may have been the ol man seen it regularly enough to keep an eye on it probably, if he could get to it without being noticed.. Could have been once daily, maybe less, or in a spot he spent a lot of time around.
Before being able to throw a switch to illuminate a yard it did not matter if you could see it from the house so much. Some guys did not want their kids or spouses to see them home banking.
A good safe cache works when you are not home.
Wood heat and cooking meant another unheated building away from house even without a big barn sometimes to allow staying if a fire occurred. Lots of other uses for outbuildings anyway. A cache out of the house, while less guarded avoided a fire threat. But then buried silver in a dirt floor don't burn much...
Knowing more about the cache creator might help.
If he had a sip now and then discreetly where would he do it? Or if he hid some card playin money where might it have been?
Where I have cached may or may not relate to where he did. Today avoiding a detector is a natural requirement.
A junk car or lawn tractor with something in it/under it, hard to sort out (no I don't) Or under certain things.Or deep.
Gramps just wanted it dry maybe, and secured out of sight in a discreetly recoverable spot, or more.

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 13-14 years old I got my own bedroom in the attic. A, window, unfinished floor, open studs. It was great after sharing with 2 brothers. My dad hung electrical conduit for my clothes rod. I inherited 20 silver dollars from my grandpa. They fit perfectly in the conduit, nice tight fit. 2 years later I left with my dad for work out of state. I left the silver dollars in place thinking I would be back. never happened. He sold the house and we never went back. That was in 1969. Hope some kid found them.

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well here is a little story for you that might give you some ideas although i have never done cache hunting.

Thirty years ago the lead singer in my high school band took me riding out in farm lands his family owned in the Mississippi delta. His mother was from one of those old money families that had been farmers in the area since before the civil war. He said that his grandfather HATED guys with metal detectors, here is why.

During the civil war his family buried the family loot and for some reason it was never recovered. I assume a death because i can see why a man would not tell his family members where he buried the loot for their own protection. And none of us really want to think that we can be dead tomorrow.

he points to an old chimney about 100 ft from the gravel road and said that was all that was left of that ancient plantation. Back in the 60s his grandfather was on a relaxing drive around his land on a lazy sunday after church and he looks over at that chimney and sees a hole at the base and drag marks to the road. You could not get a car to the chimney easily because of modern drainage ditches. He believes it was the family treasure he had heard about his whole life. He doesnt know exactly what was in that box but it was heavy enough that they drug it rather than carry it..

So i would think if someone was going to bury treasure and they had half a brain they would bury it next to some sort of landmark to make it easier to relocate. Old chimney, giant natural stone, ancient tree, next to fence post number
3 etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread