Three Brothel coins in fountain? Plus a Slave Auction coin on Cape Cod?

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am now up to three coins from a homesite/ root cellar. Well... no fountain found so far. Two Braided Hair and one Coronet dated 182? with holes drilled. All found different times same site. The coin in the "center" was found yesterday, which finally got me thinking. These are the only coins I have found on this site with holes drilled. First to find, the Brothel coin is easy to recognize on the reverse side. I don't think I need to spell it out. So my question. Handing out brothel coins required the madam receiving back the same coin. Were the holes to mark the coins? You could not give a customer a plain One Cent. Everybody in town would be getting a free ride! For those unfamiliar with brothel coins. The madam would hand a gentleman (probably not) a coin. The customer would give the coin to a waiting lady, who later would return the coin to the madam to get paid. The waiting lady could be anywhere in town. There has to be a connection here.

Also, the place has been a treasure trove of small fancy buttons. At least 100+ so far. Most by a pond where washing was probably done. A laundry business as well? The site is a tough detect area. It is loaded with iron signals. I had not been there a while. Started going back to the site to use my new Equinox 900 with the 6" coil. I have to say, it's performing far better than the 800 w/6" coil by a mile shot. I'm getting better target number clarity and surprised I had walked right over these coins before. The place was full of old holes by jerks who don't back fill. So I spent a lot of time cleaning up the site and at the same time found a Indian Head right next to one of their fat holes. HA!

Another coin last week from this same site is this 1846 W.W. Wilber Slave Auction Token. How the hell did that get to Cape Cod? Customer? I would love to go back and visit the folks who lived there. Bet I could get a stiff drink and maybe more.

This is also a new find at the site. 1841 Van Buren Hard Times Token. Needs better cleaning, but details are good. Not drilled. Guess no fun times with this coin. Or maybe the ubiquitous of the coins could be used for business as well?? Any guesses?

Here is a page with more information about US One Cent brothel coins. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia104330.html

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 1847 One Cent.jpg
    1847 One Cent.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 3 coins front.jpg
    3 coins front.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 3 coins back.jpg
    3 coins back.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 187
  • auction 1.jpg
    auction 1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 192
  • auction 2.jpg
    auction 2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 183
  • van buren.jpg
    van buren.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 1837 van buren.jpg
    1837 van buren.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Upvote 42
OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape Hunter, Congrat's to you on some really nice Saves of the old coins. You did well at this site. I really like the bushy tree coin and the auction coin with the sail ship. Really nice Saves. Stay at this site awhile, as there is most likely more coins just beneath the surface.
Many Thanks. I just have to work around the poison ivy which keeps some areas pretty safe.

SkimmerRon

Jul 12, 2023
Southeast Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900,
Whites M-6,
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds Cape !!!
Thanks for the education. I had never heard of Brothel coins before. I have heard of the holed coins but not the altered letter. I’ve seen “HoBo Nickles
Where the carved on them but not where they changed the E to a U. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am now up to three coins from a homesite/ root cellar. Well... no fountain found so far. Two Braided Hair and one Coronet dated 182? with holes drilled. All found different times same site. The coin in the "center" was found yesterday, which finally got me thinking. These are the only coins I have found on this site with holes drilled. First to find, the Brothel coin is easy to recognize on the reverse side. I don't think I need to spell it out. So my question. Handing out brothel coins required the madam receiving back the same coin. Were the holes to mark the coins? You could not give a customer a plain One Cent. Everybody in town would be getting a free ride! For those unfamiliar with brothel coins. The madam would hand a gentleman (probably not) a coin. The customer would give the coin to a waiting lady, who later would return the coin to the madam to get paid. The waiting lady could be anywhere in town. There has to be a connection here.

Also, the place has been a treasure trove of small fancy buttons. At least 100+ so far. Most by a pond where washing was probably done. A laundry business as well? The site is a tough detect area. It is loaded with iron signals. I had not been there a while. Started going back to the site to use my new Equinox 900 with the 6" coil. I have to say, it's performing far better than the 800 w/6" coil by a mile shot. I'm getting better target number clarity and surprised I had walked right over these coins before. The place was full of old holes by jerks who don't back fill. So I spent a lot of time cleaning up the site and at the same time found a Indian Head right next to one of their fat holes. HA!

Another coin last week from this same site is this 1846 W.W. Wilber Slave Auction Token. How the hell did that get to Cape Cod? Customer? I would love to go back and visit the folks who lived there. Bet I could get a stiff drink and maybe more.

This is also a new find at the site. 1841 Van Buren Hard Times Token. Needs better cleaning, but details are good. Not drilled. Guess no fun times with this coin. Or maybe the ubiquitous of the coins could be used for business as well?? Any guesses?

Here is a page with more information about US One Cent brothel coins. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia104330.html

Thanks for looking!
Interesting finds

Gofish73

Aug 30, 2023

Thanks for looking!
Man what great finds, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread