Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out one more time. My first find a KG II 1743 half cent? / large cent? Since I don,t find a lot of these I am a little confused, and any help would be appreciated. Next A 1925 Buffalo nickle, found while digging a clad dime. Finally a 1896 IH penny, for three centuries. This hunt was only a little over 2 hours long. Also found 6 clad pennies, 2 more clad dimes, and 3 wheat pennies.

P.S. Yes I am guilty of scratching the back of the KG II. I was using gloves and did not have my usual light touch.

Ed D.

Attachments

• 100_2026.jpg
    100_2026.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 100_2029.jpg
    100_2029.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 100_2018.jpg
    100_2018.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 100_2022.jpg
    100_2022.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,146
Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, and the scratch happens once in a while. Just part of being human and all.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
jamesbibb said:
OUCH that scratch causes me great pain

This is the worst thing about people on Tnet ~ there's always someone so worried about scratched coins ~ WHY DO THEY HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING?! They say nothing about how good the finds are ~ they just comment on the scratch! WHO CARES!! A scratched coin is better than NO COIN!

Sure, I'd rather not scratch the coins I dig. But it really doesn't matter ~ I'm not selling any of the coins I dig. They are all going to my children or grandchildren when I die. Scratched or not, I don't care what they do with them ~ they can sell 'em, keep 'em, or go bury them back in the ground. I don't care ~ I'll be dead!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ such great finds! That's what I consider a successful hunt! CONGRAT'S!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halfpenny and ouch. Just lucky it's a common copper and not a big deal.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oddcoins said:
jamesbibb said:

This is the worst thing about people on Tnet ~ there's always someone so worried about scratched coins ~ WHY DO THEY HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING?! They say nothing about how good the finds are ~ they just comment on the scratch! WHO CARES!! A scratched coin is better than NO COIN!

Sure, I'd rather not scratch the coins I dig. But it really doesn't matter ~ I'm not selling any of the coins I dig. They are all going to my children or grandchildren when I die. Scratched or not, I don't care what they do with them ~ they can sell 'em, keep 'em, or go bury them back in the ground. I don't care ~ I'll be dead!

Maybe thats why your called oddcoins.

Your crazy to think that no-one, specially Treasure Hunters will not comment on a scratch like that & whats more worrying you consider it the 'worst' of Tnet ::) :P

As IP said, its a British Halfpenny. I'm sure its a lesson learnt. Sod's Law saids it will always happen on your best find :(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
oddcoins said:
jamesbibb said:

Your crazy to think that no-one, specially Treasure Hunters will not comment on a scratch like that & whats more worrying you consider it the 'worst' of Tnet ::) :P

As IP said, its a British Halfpenny. I'm sure its a lesson learnt. Sod's Law saids it will always happen on your best find :(

Yes, let us stay positive... I think that's the best scratch I've seen all year! ;D

I have a button I like with a big hack in it, pretty sure it wasn't from me, but it still sucks to look at. But it happens, rocks can mess up silver even if you are careful.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Sod's Law saids it will always happen on your best find"

Man, ain't it the truth! Probably two or three thousand pieces of scrap brass I've dug this year and they all came out of the ground like new born babies. I get a hit on a Rev War swagger tip with the British coat of arms and mottos and wham! bam! I snap it in half like a pretsel stick!! (I didn't have gloves so I'm blaming it on the root system :laughing9:) That is a nice coin by the way :icon_thumleft: (and I'll bet with a little sulfer and some water you might be able to patinate that scratch so it is not all that visible.)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
oddcoins said:
jamesbibb said:

Yes, let us stay positive... I think that's the best scratch I've seen all year! ;D

I have a button I like with a big hack in it, pretty sure it wasn't from me, but it still sucks to look at. But it happens, rocks can mess up silver even if you are careful.

I think my point is, the first comment in a sense was positive. He feels the pain of the finder, like any good hunter would. If this was not painful & your happy going around constantly damaging old or rare items then you need to take up another hobby.

WE WITH SENSE FEEL YOUR PAIN. It makes you sick for weeks, at least thats how I feel, on the rare occasions it happens.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
born2detect, change my "sulfer and water" advice to "ammonium sulfate". It will be easier to use (experment on some clean copper first though).

T

TreasurdiggrNY

A trifecta of the centuries ;D Congrats on the nice finds Ed :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Congratulations on finding some nice coins.

Now.

With all due respect, sir,

OUCH!!!!

Joe

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
oddcoins said:
jamesbibb said:

I think my point is, the first comment in a sense was positive. He feels the pain of the finder, like any good hunter would. If this was not painful & your happy going around constantly damaging old or rare items then you need to take up another hobby.

WE WITH SENSE FEEL YOUR PAIN. It makes you sick for weeks, at least thats how I feel, on the rare occasions it happens.

Yeah I hear ya. It's like a polar bear running with his head against the ice and a$$ in the air. If you see it, you might just comment, but doesn't mean you don't sympathize with the bear. :D

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed, :hello: it happens to all of us if we detect long enough.

I have a couple of what would have been nice coins that I don't even like looking at because of the painful memories they invoke. :-[

At least you didn't scratch them all! ;D

Keep at it my friend.

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed I think you did great. You got to do what you were born to do and you found some very nice old coins. Thanks for sharing and good luck on future hunts.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A King George II copper is always a spectacular day in my detecting books. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Awesome Ed! I heard about this and wanted to get a chance to see it. I wish I made it out there that afternoon. That buffalo and IH ain't too shabby either!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread