chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three days hunting Coeur D'Alene

Got out Saturday and Sunday to do some water hunting in Lake Coeur D'Alene, ID. This is my first foray into water hunting, and I'm hooked. Scooped a lot of junk learning how to detect and scoop efficiently. Got the V Nickel on Saturday and the gold ring today. Nicest V Nickel I have ever found. Got the V about 50 feet out in the lake, and the ring was right at the shoreline.
The 45-70 shells and rounds came from inside the park (before the snow) and from the lake. General Sherman visited Coeur d'Alene after the Civil War and had a fort built here to protect the settlers in the area. There are hundreds of these throughout the park and even more in the lake. They also shipped unused Civil War uniforms here for the troops, so civil war era buttons are often found when the waters are down in the winter. The 1944 Merc came from the park next to a hole where I pulled the complete 45-70 cartridge.
Thanks for looking. GL & HH

Attachments

• three days of hunting CDA.jpg
    three days of hunting CDA.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 242
  • Obverse V.jpg
    Obverse V.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 234
  • reverse V.jpg
    reverse V.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 210
  • first glimmer 2016.jpg
    first glimmer 2016.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 14K ring.jpg
    14K ring.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 20

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very SWEET finds - Congratulations! :occasion14:

That is a beautiful area up there. I stayed at The Resort on the lake there back in the 1990s, and traveled up to the Elk Mountain hop farm up on the Canadian border. As you said, a lot of history out that way.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. That V Nickel is in great shape. Better that it was in water than dirt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your avatar is a London Mint penny of Ed I? Unless its a debased European imitation it should clean up some more.

OP
OP
chiloquin

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got it cleaned up when I got my finds back from PAS. Looks much better now. I'll post as the Avatar when i get home.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few coins and a nice gold ring! Congratualtions... :occasion14:

OP
OP
chiloquin

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A word of warning. I've spoken now with a few State Park representatives here in the great state of Idaho (I'm down in the Boise area). There is a rather disturbing trend for the park rangers to really not like the MDers. Idaho State Parks have a "general" requirement to turn in anything of historical significance or of value over $25. BUT...it actually depends largely on the park in which you're hunting.

Apparently, the park rangers got up in arms over the fact that some MDers were finding a ton of jewelry and selling it on E-Bay. (at least that's what the story was) As I was listening to them talk (I was in a State park locally), they were talking about the "Thieves" who were taking people's stuff and selling it. I didn't get into a philosophical argument with them at ALL... I just noted I knew the rules and would turn anything in (I found a phone and turned it in). They were nice after that and wished me luck finding change.

My point is this. The conversation started off pretty confrontational... when I quoted the park rules, they relaxed a bit in their harshness (realizing that they didn't have much to stand on to boot me), when I noted I'd be turning finds in, according to the rules, they completely relaxed, but then went on a rampage about how there are "others not like you."

That being said, I've met plenty of park rangers who are MORE than willing to say "good luck, don't bother reporting things you find underground, I don't want to know"

I recommend, basically, know the rules, and have discretion (if you know what I mean!).

Fortunately, this is a city park with clear rules for detecting. They have, during the summer, stopped all detecting in the park proper due to the drought, but spring and fall are alright. I have never heard the "your just stealing people's stuff" argument in my 30 years of detecting. I agree, know the rules where you hunt and respect the land.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY CHILLIN NICE FINDS .

GrnEydGuy

Greenie
Mar 8, 2013
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chiloquin - Fantastic share, thank you! I live in CDA myself and have been metal detecting in the mountains with my Gold Bug 2 but have not played around in the water much but I know there are plenty of treasures in this incredible lake!

I actually found 7grams of electrum nuggets around this area and not far from town! PM and I will share the location with you. Check out the thread here

My friends and I have been rock hounding, prospecting, metal detecting around this area for a while now and have come up with some promising locations, we have even found a rare form of botryoidal, iridescent Hematite/Goethite - but we really would like to get more into artifact hunting and are planning a 14 day excursion that will take us through the outskirts of Yellowstone, Colorado (Mt. Antero area) and into New Mexico; we might need 21 days lol.

Anyway I always appreciate networking with other locals into these hobbies!

Take care

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds I always thought about water detecting sounds fun Good Job

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is a keeper. I'll scrap wedding bands or crushed rings as well as gold earrings, but a ring as pretty as that one is a keeper. I have searched for, recovered, and returned numerous gold rings. I returned a High School ring to the principal of the school because the owner's name was engraved inside the ring.
If the jewelry is non traceable,, I suspect it will go missing if I turn it over to the authorities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread