Three Gun Tournaments..... A Way To Stay Sharp

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so for the last three months I have been shooting in 3gun tournaments at the Range I belong to.
You get a choice of three different weapons to use during the competition and that is all. You can choose
any pistol that is 9mm or larger, no magnums, a shotgun 20ga and higher and a rifle, .223/5.56
and no higher than a 30-06.

You shoot five different stages. All stages utilize a pistol and a shotgun or rifle. One stage utilizes
all three. You are timed on each stage and the overall winner will have the lowest time in their division.
You get penalties for missing targets.

I carry a Springfield Armory XD-40 with three 20 round mags, Remington 870 with a 26' barrel and
a +5 tube extension giving me 10 shots and a Core-15 .223/5.56 with no Magpul Popup sights, no
magnification at all. I have a 40 round magazine and two thirty round ones.

The 870 is a build in progress and was a "Virgin" before this competition. Have added a ProForm tactical
butt stock to it and the Choate +5 magazine extension.

First Stage was engaging six upper body carboard targets with two shots to each target, distance
was about 25 yards with rifle. Then engaging two rows of 10 steel targets each with the pistol and finally
a pepper target that releases a running target which requires two shots in the cardboard on the runner.
I did my best ever on this stage with a decrease of 7 seconds total for a run time of 45.13 seconds.

Second Stage was engaging 10 upper body cardboard targets with the rifle, three shots to each target.
You then had a "Texas Star" and 15 hanging gong targets to engage with your pistol. I managed
to finish this run in 39.367 seconds. Not my best but I will take it.

Third Stage was engaging 15 rounds and one clay target with the shotgun. The shotgun ran flawlessly for
its first time being shot. After engaging these rounds you had to run 15 yards and shoot six steel gongs
and six steel Pepper targets through a window. Then step to Window #2 and engage 10 stationary steel
targets then run to window #3 where you engaged another 8 steel targets.

Total time on this run was 79.129 seconds, my second best score ever.

Fourth Stage was all three weapons. First was engaging 10 steel targets with shotgun, one larger spinner
and a paper target that releases a clay you have hit as well. **My shotgun was running like a champ
until I shot the third magnum load at the spinner, the shell locked the pump in the closed position and I
had to abandoned the remaining three targets left. Sprinted 25 yards and picked up my AR, had to engage
offhand four steel standing targets at 65, 80, 95 and 100 yards. Managed that with just four shots. Then
sprinted another 15 yards and engaged 12 steel pistol targets. Perfect run on the pistol course.
Total time was 101.854 but I had to tack on 15 seconds in penalties for the first three shotgun targets I missed.

Fifth and final stage was engaging three Cardboard targets at 15, 20 and 25 yards with the rifle then
using a provided rest shoot 85, 110, 120, 130, 180, 190 and 200 yard targets in tactical order. The clouds
made it so the white targets at the furthest distance was hard to see without optics so I passed on the
three and ran forward 15 yards and repeated the long distance targets again. I could see the furthest targets
this time and ran a perfect on the second set. Then had to secure the AR and run 15 yards to engage
four stand steel targets with the pistol at 15 feet, mandatory reload then engage the remaining 12
steel targets, clear the weapon and re-holster.
Total time was 65.381 seconds with a 15 second penalty for missing the distant three targets on the first
attempt.

I thought I was proficient in shooting until I started this. <whew> It is a rush. If you ever get
a chance to shoot a 3 gun tournament I highly recommended it. Every branch of the service was
represented there, most were Air Force as MacDill is only 1/2 hour away. Maybe next time I can
video it and post it here.

Cheers,

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freedom,

Sounds like fun but the type of fun that will really challenges you to your max. I've never personally shot in one of these 3 gun tournies myself but after reading your post, I'd sure like to give it a "shot" some day. (pun intended!) Thanks for posting and I'll look forward to the video if you can post one. Have a great day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread