Three hours on the great Bavarian fields...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for about three hours today on two fields. Rain, sleet and a little snow but, all bundled up and prepared for, it is easy to deal with and it was a fun hunt! I also found a dead deer today, small deer, hunter probably shot it, the deer took off and he could not find it, the deer wasn’t even bloated yet. I might go report it tomorrow to the hunter as I know him and he has also offered me his land to detect below a medieval castle. I also found a target I could not get to, I suspect it is a cannon ball as it is about 50 meters behind an offensive position that attacked the castle in 1704, I also found a cannon ball there well over a year ago. Hope to check it out tomorrow with a bigger shovel. My small 8” Minelab XT70 coil just can’t go beyond 12” without a reason, I did check the walls and widened the hole, what ever it is, it is deep, probably a manhole cover, LOL, but I doubt it. Here’s the finds, found four coins, obverse of an 1875, 1940 and a 1925. The fourth coin was a crusty coin I tossed.
1Feb08coinsO.jpg

Reverse of the coins.
1Feb08coinsR.jpg

An old religious cross pendant with wooden inlay that is disintegrating as I type and an aluminum thimble with an advertisement on it that says “Seide Kauft Guttermanns” or “Silk Buy Gutermanns”.
1Feb08crossthimb.jpg

This relic looks like a tompion or a gun barrel protection cap, maybe early 1800s, made of copper. I might be totally wrong and welcome any ID help. An American Nickel (5 Cent coin) will fit into the hole with some play. I have seen several barrel protection pieces recently but they seem to all be made of brass. I had a nice hunt today! HH, Mike
1Feb08tompion.jpg

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boy you sure are lucky.... I would still love to see more and more pictures... I love old old history and castles so share away anytime...and the finds are to divine, I always look foward to your posts.

Booty

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
As always Mike real interesting finds!You are soo lucky being able to hunt an area with such a deep history.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you're able to hunt the Bavarian field's again Mike...Great bunch of find's.What type weapon would have used the "tompion"?Thank's and HH!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You tossed a coin? :'( NOOOO! Say it ain't so! You can save those crusty coins and send 'em to Nana! ;D

Super finds as always~! I hope that target is a good one for ya! :)

Nana

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good three hours.

I agree with your ID. :)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wow that is a cool thimble and alot of history...I can remember my grandma saying she sewed quilts using Gutermanns silk thread....Nice day for you Mike.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
that copper thing might be a powder measure or a shot measure for the old muzzle loader guns. that way they always used the right amount.

be very carefull with that cross. during the early middle ages someone went to the holy land and dug up a cross at the spot where jesus was crucified. to make money they cut it up and put it into religious items and eventually sold slivers of it. you may actually have one.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Wow mike such fantastic finds and photos. You have some of the best hunting grounds around, I consider you blessed.

Thanks for sharing and HH.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual Mike a great post. WTG on braving the weather. Congrats on your finds.
Burdie

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Mike, between you and Big C over in England you make me want to jump on the next plane over! Makes my humble little finds here boring. Guess I need to get back to the desert and do some nugget hunting. Happy Hunting to you Mike.

Desertfox

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! The relic is actually a candlestick holder, IDed by forum friend SCdigger. I picked it up as if it had a candle in it and it fits perfectly in the fingers. HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Thanks all! The relic is actually a candlestick holder, IDed by forum friend SCdigger. I picked it up as if it had a candle in it and it fits perfectly in the fingers. HH, Mike

oops I was behind you all the way on that one, now you say it, makes sense. 17th century?

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking 1800s but I really do not know now! I found it near a medieval farm dating from around 1000AD to 1650AD. The round piece is bonded to the finger piece, two pieces put together if that helps ID the age of it? HH, Mike

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Hi Mike, I have two of those crosses, but one of mine had red leather in it (Also almost totally gone, and disintigrated when dry) which was held in place with iron wire. Got a new field with lots of nice signals, 30 minutes and lots of finds (Bernd was too cold and we had to go home), but haven´t been back, as the same evening I was chopping kindling wood, and the axe bounced off and buried itself in my hand, ended up having to stitch it myself, and went to the doctors next day. Got a tetanus jab, restitched, and bandaged, and told not to use the hand for 10 to 14 day´s at least (About 3 to 5 day´s and I´ll be able to go out with a rubber glove I reckon).
HH Ray

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for showing us, Mike. :)

I love the cross...and all of your digs. They're always so interesting. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread