oney

May 20, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,

Hit a permission I've been hunting for the past year and stumbled upon a new area that started producing. The large cents are toasted but I do know one is 182- and another 181-.

I'll clean them up a bit more hopefully. The wire was deep and came up screaming. I almost want to say it's some sort of trade silver but please if you know otherwise, let me know.

image-4202867203.png

Upvote 6

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea on the wire but those LCs are sweet, be careful cleaning them too aggressively, might lose the detail thats left

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Solder Wire, sometimes contains silver but...:dontknow: Not enough to be worth more than Solder Wire. Nice LC's !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
oney

oney

May 20, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like Solder Wire, sometimes contains silver but...:dontknow: Not enough to be worth more than Solder Wire. Nice LC's !! :thumbsup: Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

I thought it was simple solder also but it came out at 10 in. and notice the design. I'm not sure on it but that's what makes it exciting.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat decoration on the wire........looks silver.........I have & have seen lots of Trade Silver, but haven't seen anything like that........which doesn't mean anything!:laughing7:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't think solder because of the fancy pattern on the one knot - have it tested for silver - let us know ! Awesome site !!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am betting silver as well. Looks like a great site and deep. Good luck and keep us updated.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your new spot gave up very nice finds. And yes, let us know if it turns out to be silver.

OP
OP
oney

oney

May 20, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am betting silver as well. Looks like a great site and deep. Good luck and keep us updated.
Yeah, I'm not used to digging in the 8-10 in range around here. Tons of stones makes for hard digging here in NEPA sometimes. All the larges hit around the same depth also. Gotta love farm fields. Also, I'm almost certain the knots are silver wire clipped down to a specified size. Has to be some sort of currency. I believe half reales were worth 6 1/2 cents so maybe the knots have a comparable conversion given to them. I'll keep you guys updated. Going out tomorrow morning for a few hours to grid it all over again from another direction and finish some spots. Wish me luck!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it be hand made for a relationship? Like one wire for the wife and the other for the husband? Just like some men back in the day turned silver coins into love tokens for their girl. Just a guess though! :)

OP
OP
oney

oney

May 20, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it be hand made for a relationship? Like one wire for the wife and the other for the husband? Just like some men back in the day turned silver coins into love tokens for their girl. Just a guess though! :)

That is definitely a possibility. I like the idea of that!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Looks like some type of love knot to me! :headbang: Hope it turns out that way. By doing a google image search, you can easily see the many modern styles of silver love knot jewelry, some being purely of twisted wires. Have fun! Andi

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is no solder wire. That's old! VERY nice find there. No clue, but could've been used to suspend a pendant or similar.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never noticed that ornate design... :BangHead: Still looks like Solder wire, but with a design. :icon_scratch: Maybe something special though?:dontknow: Did you examine real close with a loop to see if it was marked anywhere...??? Have it tested and let us know the results. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread