THREE more Spanish Silver!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello and Happy Easter!

My wife gave me permission to spend about 3 hours out playing today and I took full advantage of it. It was cool, but clear and quite nice outside today.

I went back to the woods that have been so generous for the last 2 weeks. Friday you may recall I found a 1785 2 Reale. Well, today was a good day again.

My first good target was a cuff button. I have not cleaned it, but the funny part is last weekend Josh sat down on top of it to take a break. We had scanned the spot several times, but today, it spoke. Someone said yesterday on my post that if I kept persisting, more targets would "matieralize." Well, this was the first of 4 good targets, and 3 of them were not there before.

A short ways from the button, I hit another nice signal(12-37 on the Etrac). Oddly enough, it was almost under a log i had rolled away last week. I had scanned this spot before, but today it spoke. I move the log again, located it, and very soon a half reale was in my hand. Sadly enough, I hit it with the shovel and scraped the top of his head. Looks like the date is 1783, it is a little worse for wear.

After finding such nice treasure there, I decided to wreak havoc on more of the rotten log. Soon as it was gone I scanned under it and bam! Another good signal, even better than the last. Not quite a normal coin or silver signal(12-41), but still higher than the half reale had been. Boy was I surprised to see a coin roll out slightly larger than a nickle. A touch of gentle cleaning revealed a shield - One Reale!! After cleaning, this appears to be 1781, but again, it is beat pretty rough.

About an hour later, I was going over some very heavily covered ground when a good signal popped out at me. That signal had not been there just an hour before. I was soon thrilled to see another half reale roll out. This one is very very worn, and I can see no detail on the obverse, but there is no mistaking that shield.

2 weeks ago today I found my first spanish silver here. I was fortunate enough to find 2 of them that day, and I told Josh that it would never happen again. Well, this is the second time since then I have found 2 spanish silver in one day, and today I found THREE. This place has been amazing: I have found more silver coins than copper, and more copper than clad. So far, this site has given up the following coins:
1785 2 Reale
1781 1 Reale
7 Half Reales dating 1781-1802
1844 Half Dime
1853 3 Cent Silver
7 Large Cents
1825-1827 George IV Penny
1775 George III Halfpenny
1908 V nickle
1942 Merc Dime
1951 Rosie Dime
1 Clad Dime
1 Clad Penny

I will definatly be back. There is a story here, but, I will never know it. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall 200 +/- years ago at this place and see all there was to see. All I can do now is keep going back and see what else there is to find. I never expect more coins to appear here, but one or two seem to pop up every few days. Persistence pays - a site is never hunted out.

Thanks for reading. Happy Hunting!
Anthony

Attachments

• easter 2009.JPG
    easter 2009.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,206
Upvote 0

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds and a great story to go with it. :thumbsup:

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall 200 +/- years ago at this place and see all there was to see.
I agree!

HH

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Congratulations on a great spot and all your great finds!!
Happy Easter!!
HH

John

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well congrats on more silver, it seems that it is the norm for "coastal" Virginia finds to be more old silver found than coppers. I have been coordinating with a few detectorists from the NW area of Virginia over the years and up here in Jersey and further north the ratio of old coppers to silver is roughly 1 silver for every 10 coppers, but in their area, it is almost the exact opposite, 1 copper to ten silvers. Reason, Spanish Silver was the MAIN coins used in the "Tobacco Colonies", there are several good articles out there about the useage of Spanish Silver in the South, especially Virginia....

http://data.numismatics.org/cnl/Pistareens.pdf

Don

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Don in SJ said:
Well congrats on more silver, it seems that it is the norm for "coastal" Virginia finds to be more old silver found than coppers. I have been coordinating with a few detectorists from the NW area of Virginia over the years and up here in Jersey and further north the ratio of old coppers to silver is roughly 1 silver for every 10 coppers, but in their area, it is almost the exact opposite, 1 copper to ten silvers. Reason, Spanish Silver was the MAIN coins used in the "Tobacco Colonies", there are several good articles out there about the useage of Spanish Silver in the South, especially Virginia....

http://data.numismatics.org/cnl/Pistareens.pdf

Don
That is fascinating information. I will definatly delve into that link. Thank you for teaching me some more about the history of things, I am always eager to learn more.

Anthony

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
this hole story reminds me of were i just found the woods hibernia! been over it many times and ounce in awile still produces. looks like you have a great spot. congrats . willy.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy with just 1, to fill a hole in the collection. Now your just being greedy :D

Great place, wish I could join you, I have no joy in UK woods.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess i better get that tracking device out

god u are red hot

i love it....................nice old tickets for sure

two toes yesterday in the lane

see ya

good luck

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Nice Silver!!!! If you venture into the woods
around here you end up with a 50:1 ratio.......
shotgun shells being the high and .22 shells the low.....
Keep finding that awesome stuff!!!

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anthony,

You just never cease to amaze me at that site. You are going to need a lot more Airtite holders if you keep it up. Great way to spend Easter. About all that is left is finding a GOLD coin. Careful with that digging, don't want to scratch too many of those coins. Congratulations, again.

Hollis

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Anthony! That is a VERY NICE SITE that you're on! Congrats on the Colonial Silver :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink: :wink: I got some silver producers down that way too! It's funny how some wet ground will make those signals POP isn't it :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions