Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

As dey say down here, "I'm gonna told you a story." :D So, feel free to click "Play" and listen to this soundtrack while you look... 8-)

Well, it was time for a hunt, and I was ready to claw my way out of the bustling small town and get out to those cane fields again! So Shanegalang and Digger Girl and I met up in the wee hours of the morning to finish the grid on our latest field. We weren't expecting much, since we knew that the grid would take us way out of the iron patch, and into a spot where a more recent house had stood. Well, we sprayed down with mosquito spray and got right to diggin.

For a long time, things were very slow. Nothing more than a few marbles and some interesting bits came up. There were long stretches of nothing to dig. My energy was running low, and the temperatures were climbing higher. I know that you guys in the North are probably getting frost by now, but it was 92 for the high for this hunt down here in Louisiana.

At any rate, eventually I heard "EEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!" and knew that Shane was giving the Cajun Yell and had dug something good. It was an eagle Artillery cuff.

1.jpg

Cuffs in general are hard to find (I think I have two cuffs total, out of all my many dug eagles), but artillery cuffs are a great button to dig. I congratulated him, and we got to work again, all fired up. After a bit more time, with little to show, we took a break for a killer lunch that consisted of pulled pork sandwiches, jambalaya, and fried catfish. :)

We came back renewed and ready for the heat and hopefully some more finds. Well, the first row Shane was on he dug a button I had never seen before. (I told him that was a feat by itself.) :laughing7: Anyhow, I strongly suspected that the button was military, and so I made a few calls to figure out exactly what he had. It was laying right in the top of a cane row, which did wonders for rinsing the gilding off:

2.jpg

The button is a Revenue Marine button, 1850s. Only one example of this button has been dug and posted on Tnet since the site began. :o If you'd like to see both of these buttons cleaned up, please see Shane's post in the Civil War section:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/civil-war/313869-two-cw-buttons-one-field-one-day.html

So...we hunted a while longer, and it got damned hot. Shane decided he'd found enough for one day, and he left. Digger Girl and I decided that we'd haul the scrap iron buckets out of the field (150 lbs we dug between us two alone that day!).

3.jpg

Then we decided to re-grid a section I had hunted before. Only trouble with the initial attempt at the grid was that it was so muddy that day I couldn't walk between the rows, and had to walk on top, and swing out across the mud to the other side as best I could. I just Knew I that Shane and I had missed some finds that day. So off we went, hoping that one of us could find something to equalize a bit on the day. On the way out of the row we were in, DG dug a Buffalo nickel that had been plow-struck. When we got back to finish the grid, within minutes she had her first Shield Nickel. It is a beauty for condition.

I found a nice mid-1800s pipe bowl, and picked up a couple more marbles washed out by the rain. I got a couple whatzits, and then I got one of the best signals I had all day. Hoping for any decent piece of brass, or even a grubby Indian Head, I knelt to dig. A two piece button flopped out of the hole. 8-) I saw the back, and saw the rays radiating outward from where the shank was. My heart started racing. I recognized this distinctive feature from the Pelican Button I dug last month! I stayed calm (as calm as possible!), and turned the button over, gently rubbing the crust from the face, and saw a SECOND Civil War PELICAN button staring at me! From a Rebel Coat, catching the sun after a century and a half:

4.jpg

We went home a little later, unable to re-grid the section completely, but we will be back. After 10 hours in the sun, we were a little worn out--but so happy with our finds.

Here's my digs, minus the scrap iron and can slaw:

5.jpg

And Digger Girl's finds:

6.jpg

And after cleaning (her digs):

7.jpg

And mine. If you know what the item at the 9 o'clock or 6 o'clock positions are, I could use some help.

8.jpg

Digger Girl's Beefalo (plow-struck, but with a date strangely enough!):

9.jpg

10.jpg

And her first Shield Nickel! GREAT Condition--but no date. :(

11.jpg

The back is especially nice:

12.jpg

And, for me--PELICAN #2!! Backmark is HORSTMANN & ALLIEN / NY (Tice LA223A1):

13.jpg

14.jpg

Shane, it's crazy that you had to leave the field for us to find something good! I posted that video with you in mind. Toi t'es un bon à rien! :laughing7:

Happy Hunting to All,

Cane Field Bandits cropped.jpg

The Cane Field Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 9

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ya better change your name to BUTTONBOY! awesome stuff dude! no frost yet here in CT but temps are droppin slowly

U

umrgolf

Thanks for returning the favor on the phone-call :occasion14: That's awesome to find two matching buttons to start your CS button collection. It shows a ton of character, especially the small stamp of iron residue where it was probably leaning on a square nail.

Congrats :headbang:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that is a good hunt and post. After a lunch like that it is a wonder you were able to swing anything,haha. Nice pelican pretty coins and good music. Great post and thanks for sharing your hunt.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good show!
Nothing like findin Homestate buttons :hello2:

I'm still after a Virginia button. I lived and detected there for a good many years, but still no VA to show for it. Super happy to get even one LA, much less two.

Cheers,

Buck

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a good hunt and your second Pelican!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that is a good hunt and post. After a lunch like that it is a wonder you were able to swing anything,haha. Nice pelican pretty coins and good music. Great post and thanks for sharing your hunt.
HH
TnMtns

Happy to share. It's what makes this site worth going to--everyone sharing what they've dug. Yeah, we eat big lunches but we are also diggin 10-12 hours in the 90+ temps so I figure it's burned off lol.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Great post and great bunch of finds! I bet it took some force to bend that Beefalo. I have seen many dimes, cents and buttons plow bent, but never a nickel. Those things are tough!

VPR

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds buck. You guys did some good work.

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still after a Virginia button. I lived and detected there for a good many years, but still no VA to show for it. Super happy to get even one LA, much less two.Cheers,Buck
Ill trade Ya a nice virginny for one of them squid eaters! Nice find

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your great finds!:headbang:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill trade Ya a nice virginny for one of them squid eaters! Nice find

That's tempting... I still go back to VA from time to time to try and find one. One day I'll get a VA. It's still on my list!

Cheers,

Buck

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds for three amazing hunters! WTG on all those fab buttons!
Nana
:hello:

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well done! EEEEE IIIIIII from Ten. love the Pelican
I'am on the way for lunch!!!!