Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Three years ago I took my dad out for a fun hunt in Virginia Beach oceanfront. Mostly dug around for coins, but popped this sucker out in between waves at low tide. This is what it looked like raw...I had a feeling it was silver:

DSC_0430.JPG DSC_0431.JPG DSC_0432.JPG

I spent A LOT of time cleaning it. Determined that it was definitely silver. Obviously in the shape of an eagle, but no idea where it came from. So much history in that area I figured nobody would ever be able to ID it. But, you guys are good...REAL good. What do you think of the cleaned up images:

DSC_0443.JPG DSC_0444.JPG DSC_0445.JPG DSC_0446.JPG

I placed it next to a thin dime that somebody ID'd for me because I was documenting it for my archives. I can take more photos if people need them. I obviously didn't throw it out.

Crispin

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im not sure what the thin dime coin is because its corroded but it reminds me of vintage play money.

You havent figured this out in 3 years? The sucker that popped out between waves is of course a melted blob of aluminum. You have posted these melted blobs here before looking for identification. I hope you didnt spend too much time cleaning them because they cant be IDed any more than that. It could be Budweiser or it could be part of a beach chair. People generally dont throw silver into a beach fire and if they did, it wouldnt melt so easily.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under high resolution, I can see something .. :tongue3:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 5.51.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 5.51.58 AM.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOOKS LIKE MY DANG SILVER FILLING AND TOOTH I HAD PULLED YESTERDAY, YEP THATS IT.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Im not sure what the thin dime coin is because its corroded but it reminds me of vintage play money.

You havent figured this out in 3 years? The sucker that popped out between waves is of course a melted blob of aluminum. You have posted these melted blobs here before looking for identification. I hope you didnt spend too much time cleaning them because they cant be IDed any more than that. It could be Budweiser or it could be part of a beach chair. People generally dont throw silver into a beach fire and if they did, it wouldnt melt so easily.

Lol, okay, forget it then. It is silver to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't think this looks like an eagle? Talons and everything. What about the circular indenture that is identical on both sides?

IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0506.JPG

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure about the eagle, but I do see a chicken... I see the head, comb, beak and eye. Looky here, I eat chicken all of the time, and that is a chicken head.

Attachments

• Chicken Head.jpg
    Chicken Head.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 401
Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
DANG! Worldtalker jumped in front of me on the ID. I better get credit for getting this one right.

However, I am glad he has definitively confirmed my chicken head ID.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's definitely a piece of melted aluminum. I think you looking too hard! I have a like of these from burned out houses they really get hopes up before I dig sometimes! Now go dig some silver!

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Crispen I apologize if I seem rude. But your infatuation with melted blobs of aluminum is beyond reason. Its like looking into the clouds. Some people see faces and shapes. There is no eagle. As someone demonstrated, it looks more like a chicken. Melted blobs come in all shapes and sizes and will pop out between waves. Another name for this is canslaw.

Its possible that one in several thousand could be silver but this is very rare. Instead of dreaming for 3 years, if you really believe that you have found silver, invest in a silver test kit. Amazon.com: Complete Silver Testing Kit with 1 Bottle Test Solution, Electronic Coin Scale, Stone, File, and FREE 5gr Solid Silver Bar: Industrial & Scientific I dont know how these work because I make my own solution from Nitric Acid and Potassium Dichromate that works great on silver. .925 silver shows a bright red. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/167464-chunk-silver-2.html http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/167464-chunk-silver-2.html

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The thin dime is the much more interesting find. I believe its childrens play money from the 60s. Could this be it? There may be a chicken on it.

chicken feed.jpg

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
3.jpg Thanks for the ID on the dime. Okay, I am being serious on this one. I found this piece of metal outside the Virginia Beach Life Saving Museum in between 33rd and 34th street. It was low tide, there had just been a storm, and I found it in knee deep water. I think it looks like an eagle. There is a perfectly circular hole in the middle and then on the other side a perfectly circular protrusion. I think that is where it was attached to a badge or a buckle or something. How in the world could this be caused by a fire? I looked up badges from the coast guard and this is what I have come up with. Please take a close look at the circular and protrusion I am talking about. If you still think it is an Al can I will definitely drop it. I am not trying to upset anybody.

eagle.jpg

See the back. I think that is where the protrusion is on my piece of metal...

ea.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have thought that somebody would have noticed that it resembled the Virgin Mary.......jk

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first one is a WWI Coast Guard officer's hat badge, I think by Robbins. If so there would be fine writing just below the fastener.

Second two are WWII era.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. can you explain the circular indentation and protrusion on the opposite side based on a camp fire? It is a perfect circle...

I ordered the kit. Please look at and assume that I am right. what do you see? click on the images and zoom in. that is not a random fire nugget...

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Figure it out by weight, pretty big difference between Aluminum and Silver. If you really want to know take it to the local University's Geology dept. they'll do a complete work up for free.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread