Threshold Tone on 800

Juiceman

Jun 20, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the Threshold setting for the last two days. So far I really like it. The audio when you get a hit is fuller I suppose. It has more information in the audio about the target. I like being able to discriminate in trashy areas and here the blanking. I can use all metal when I here a blank in the tone that interest me (if that makes sense). Much less ear fatiguing in my opinion. I have not seen much info on this, do any of you other equinox owners use or have you tried it?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Juiceman -- I run the threshold so that it is audible, but only quietly. Others like to "quiet" search -- no audible threshold. It's a matter of personal preference. Many of us who use/used Minelab FBS machines have gotten used to that background threshold hum, and so it is natural for some of us to continue that, with the Equinox. Others prefer the threshold silent.

If running iron discrimination, though, I would argue that it's best to run with an audible threshold, instead of threshold silent. One way or another, I believe it is good to "hear the iron," or -- at least -- be alerted to its presence. If running all-metal (no disc), and at least a low volume setting for your iron tones, that's obviously one way to "hear the iron." But, as you note, if you are discriminating iron, running a low-volume threshold will still allow you to "hear the iron" -- or, more correctly in this case, be "alerted to its presence," by hearing a blanking in the threshold. Either way -- running all metal and listening for iron tones, or running iron disc and audible threshold, and listening for threshold "blanking," both methods alert you that there is iron under the coil, and I believe that can be a helpful bit of information.

Still, though, it's ultimately a matter of personal preference. Sounds like it's working for you, and indeed many users run with audible threshold in the background.

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Juiceman

Jun 20, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve: It is working for me. For me I get way more info about what is going on under my coil. Hard for me to put it into words but I like to hunt by audio and the audio with Threshold on has more info in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions